Latics v Posh

Generally anything that is being done to boost attendances, interest etc is a sign that at the club are aware they need to do something to arrest the declining attendances.

The first game on the touch lines for the returning manager, potentially on the back of 2 wins on the bounce (please), and maybe a couple of new signings - a good time to do it.

Boro is also a game that would have poor support midweek - not a big draw at the best of times.

Doubt it will be as big as Celebration Sunday - frustrated at the time it took to get in on that day - but it will get some publicity on SSN etc and I think it's a good shout.

As a ST holder, don't really care about missing out, just hope a few of them come back later in the season (though I do wonder if it is a softening of the price rise blow).

Generally we have done pap in offer games (CS the one exception)....fingers crossed Shez picks up a third straight win.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they're not. What a load of management speak bollocks.

Goals, entertaining football and wins - in no particular order.

How is a long term vision/plan for the club management speak bollocks?

Some people are happy with sticky plasters over gaping wounds. If we started winning games and getting goals don't you envisage a scenario where the manager will be cherry picked by the highest bidder once again?

The fans that have decided to give up have bigger aspirations for the club they once followed, maybe they are unrealistic but a free game won't get them thinking all is rosie again even if the team win. There has just been too much bad/negative news over too long a period of time.

If there was an announcement from the top before this explaining the shambles of what had gone on over the last 2 years and that they were focusing solely on improving the club then the offer would have more chance of success...it just seems a bit slap dash and desperate to me.

You and Harry are both missing the point.

How many times does the club offer something like this, things start to look up on and off the pitch, then they proceed to mess it up; sometimes within months.

Someone comes back after posh, sees a few games, starts getting the buzz again, then the club don't show enough ambition or press self destruct after the initial rescue act- which they created - to KEEP them coming back.

It's a great gesture by the club, no doubt. I hope it leads on to bigger and better things.

But if you think a great gesture and a few goals/wins will be bring people back regularly (which is what we really want) then your either very naive or deluded.

Exactly right.

How is a long term vision/plan for the club management speak bollocks?

Some people are happy with sticky plasters over gaping wounds. If we started winning games and getting goals don't you envisage a scenario where the manager will be cherry picked by the highest bidder once again?

The fans that have decided to give up have bigger aspirations for the club they once followed, maybe they are unrealistic but a free game won't get them thinking all is rosie again even if the team win. There has just been too much bad/negative news over too long a period of time.

If there was an announcement from the top before this explaining the shambles of what had gone on over the last 2 years and that they were focusing solely on improving the club then the offer would have more chance of success...it just seems a bit slap dash and desperate to me.

Whatever happened to just going for the football?

Yeh but they have to start somewhere ,

Yes playing more entertaining football is the only way to get people to come back and stay back.

That's not going to happen with the present squad , budget and current league position we have so we have to start by trying to get some money in to increase next years budget.

Other than the knight swimming in the black stuff rolling through the door the only other way is to increase gates.

Immediate future is staying in league 1 and getting the crowd behind Shez and the lads will help that and hopefully onwards and upwards from there.

Yes we have seen it before but at least give the club some credit for trying.

It's an excellent gesture.

I'd love to end my post there but my mind keeps asking the same question "how can we be skint, owing others and under an embargo one minute then the next minute we're forefeiting thousands in gate money AND lining up all these new signings?"

Admittedly we've offloaded some players but Gerrard, Holloway etc won't come cheap.

It's positive publicity granted and shows support for Shez's return but how can Corney afford this?

I commend giving to charity but will the fans coming in for free donate the same amount as what our board would have donated had we retained 100% of the gate money for the game? We'll make more from extra refreshments and merchandise sold but that won't be much.

Is it a rational question to ask when whoever meets Corney or is it too critical bearing in mind the charity situation?!

Given that there's probably only a few hundred paying on the day at the moment anyway and given an extra 5,000+ are going to massively increase bar/food takings, is there any chance the club might benefit from this?

I'm not knocking the offer in anyway but it's not a big hit financially.

Credit where it's due, any efforts to try to get people back and lift the spirits around the club should be commended.

And it'll give Simon something to repeatedly refer to, in his interview with NNN et al on the same day, to show just what a stand up guy he is.