In the wake of Connor Ripley moving from hero to demi-God yesterday, who would you say are the 5 best keepers you have seen at Latics? Base it purely on what they did with us, whether in a one month loan or over many years as our number one.

1. Gary Kelly

2. Connor Ripley

3. Paul Gerrard

4. Les Pogliacomi

5. Andy Rhodes

This is purely subjective so let's try not to abuse each other over it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Johnny Bollands

2. Harry Dowd

2. Connor Ripley

3. Les Pogliacomi

4. Lee Grant.

I would have loved to have seen Bob Hewitson, who my A-Z of Latics tells me was suspended in the 1907-08 season, for allegedly throwing a lump of turf at the ref, in an ill-tempered match against Fulham. In the Club's last season of non-league football, the ref awarded a penalty against Latics in an F.A. Cup-tie against Kidderminster. Placing the ball on the spot, the ref turned to find there was no keeper in the net. Bob was behind the goal among the fans laying odds that they wouldn't score - they didn't! :)

1. Johnny Bollands

2. Harry Dowd

2. Connor Ripley

3. Les Pogliacomi

4. Lee Grant.

I would have loved to have seen Bob Hewitson, who my A-Z of Latics tells me was suspended in the 1907-08 season, for allegedly throwing a lump of turf at the ref, in an ill-tempered match against Fulham. In the Club's last season of non-league football, the ref awarded a penalty against Latics in an F.A. Cup-tie against Kidderminster. Placing the ball on the spot, the ref turned to find there was no keeper in the net. Bob was behind the goal among the fans laying odds that they wouldn't score - they didn't! :)

Was he eating a pie at the time?

Dean Windass

Chris Taylor

Lee Richardson

David Eyres

Robbie Simpson

Edit: with a tip of the hat to the Sutton United defender who played 75-odd minutes in net for them yesterday because their reserve goalkeeper mysteriously left the club last week.

Edited by blueatheart

Just as an aside, Andy Gorton had the ability to be up there, does anybody know where he is at present or where he was last heard of.

Nick would be my guess.

It could be an alternative fact or fake news, but I read that he used to have to be substituted before the end of night games, so he could be in before his curfew at some detention centre where he was being held.

Ripley

Goram

Gerrard

Rhodes

Hallworth

I'm putting Ripley top because of the context. He's played with the worst outfield 10 we've ever fielded for most of this season (it's not now we've got Taylor and Holloway). He's gonna take the clean sheets record and we've conceded unbelievably low numbers of goals. No brainer really. And yesterday he got a marquee quiz question achievement to go with the general picture of goalkeeping brilliance.

I'm putting Ripley top because of the context. He's played with the worst outfield 10 we've ever fielded for most of this season (it's not now we've got Taylor and Holloway). He's gonna take the clean sheets record and we've conceded unbelievably low numbers of goals. No brainer really. And yesterday he got a marquee quiz question achievement to go with the general picture of goalkeeping brilliance.

That's exactly why he tops the list for me too. To have kept 14 clean sheets with the dunces that have been playing in front of him all season is an unbelievable achievement...

Gerrard

Hallworth

Pogliacomi

Ripley

Kelly.

That was Ripley's 14th clean sheet more than any other keeper in the division. For a goalkeeper to achieve that while playing behind a team that has spent the entire season in the bottom 6 is absolutely remarkable. Not only should he win our player of the season he should be in the league team of the year. Seeing the soft goal Valdes let in yesterday Middlesbrough must be considering him for the number 1 position next season he's destined for a career as premier league goalkeeper and possibly an England one too.

Dean Windass

Chris Taylor

Lee Richardson

David Eyres

Robbie Simpson

Edit: with a tip of the hat to the Sutton United defender who played 75-odd minutes in net for them yesterday because their reserve goalkeeper mysteriously left the club last week.

They haven't had a keeper on the bench all season and the big fella has never played a single minute for them

Edited by Dave_Og

1. Johnny Bollands

2. Harry Dowd

2. Connor Ripley

3. Les Pogliacomi

4. Lee Grant.

Can't believe you've left Goram out of your top 5!!