1 Andy Goram

2 David Best

3 Lee Grant

4 Connor Ripley

5 Gary Kelly/Les Pogliacomi

I just can't separate Kelly and Pogs. Ripley only comes in at #4 because the top 3 were consistently superb over a number of seasons. Ripley, I am certain, will be a top Premiership keeper and, most likely, an International.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Johnny Bollands

I read this as Johnny Bellend, which is a brilliant name for not just a goalkeeper. Except if you're Johnny Bellend I guess.

Mine's

1. Andy Goram (v1.0)

2. Les Pogliacomi

3. Jon Hallworth

4. Gary Kelly

5. Connor Ripley

Thoughts on others who missed the cut:

Andy Rhodes - One of the better shot-stoppers we've ever had but his distribution was :censored:ing woeful. Remember most of his kicks sailing way out of play. And he let some soft, soft goals in, but he'd pull off some worldie saves too.

Andy Gorton - As a 12 year old keeper, I loved Andy Gorton. But it was far too short a spell to establish himself. Wasn't he actually a back-up keeper to Goram?

Paul Gerrard - Close call, but as others have mentioned, he struggled for consistency sometimes.

Lee Grant - Looked class for the quarter of a season we had him. His career ever since proved that ten times over. Too short a time to include him in my five.

Mark Crossley - Has to be worth a mench. Had some fantastic displays, especially that one at Everton. You could always tell he's played at the highest level and it seemed to me he was good for morale. A crime to get in my top five but certainly in the top ten.

Paul Rachubka (v1.0) - I thought he was class for the short spell when Wadsworth brought him in on loan. Takes bit shoes to follow Gary Kelly but Chubs did a decent enough job. v2.0 wasn't as good though.

Goram - absolutely stunned to find that not only is he not top of some lists but actually not even on some lists! How young are the people on this forum? If he had not sold out to the Scottish team I have no doubt he would have played for England. Yes he was that good and if his drinking and gambling could have been kept under control he could have been reached a Banks \ Ray Clemence status level.

Gerrard - After Goram left I thought we would never have such a high class goalkeeper again - I was wrong.

Hollworth - very underrated but highly consistent keeper

kelly - Another in the long production line of quality keepers that we enjoyed from the mid 80's to the 2000's

Ripley - I'm going to regret it if I never get to see him play for Oldham

Goram - absolutely stunned to find that not only is he not top of some lists but actually not even on some lists! How young are the people on this forum? If he had not sold out to the Scottish team I have no doubt he would have played for England. Yes he was that good and if his drinking and gambling could have been kept under control he could have been reached a Banks \ Ray Clemence status level.

Agree. In his pomp (albeit when he'd moved on), he was one of the best in the world, never mind the country. Whilst he was here, he made remarkable stops on a regular basis & won us many points in the process.

Ripley has been fantastic for us & without him, we'd be cut adrift so he's definitely one of the best we've had but I think any talk of full England caps is a bit much. Although it's improved a bit since the season started, his distribution isn't anywhere near what's required at that kind of level & at 24, there's no pathway to him to integrate into the setup against the other options.

Agree. In his pomp (albeit when he'd moved on), he was one of the best in the world, never mind the country. Whilst he was here, he made remarkable stops on a regular basis & won us many points in the process.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone better at closing down on a one-v-one than Goram. He was kind of the reason why as a youngster I chose to play in goal even though I wasn't much good (could shot stop but couldn't kick or claim crosses to save my life). My favourite player though out his time here. Got chance to meet him when he played a few matches at Delph & Dobcross CC. I was so in awe of him, could hardly speak.

I hated how his reputation, particularly amongst those too young to have seen him first time round, was utterly tarnished on his home debut in the Cardiff 1-7 calamity. Such a shame.

Edit: I recall he also came back to play in goal for Roger Palmer's testimonial vs Citeh about the time he was at the height of his powers at Rangers. Nice touch that, showed he always held a real affinity with us.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Goram - I remember his name being sung with such passion at every home game. Fearless and his distrabution was class. He is still No 1, but his game involved backpassing and rules were so much easier when the keeper could pick it up.

Gorton - I have to, if the No1 was ever missing ... you really couldnt tell. It is such a shame we never got to see his full potential.

Ripley - On the back of so few games, I wish he was ours.

Hollworth - Loved him, then for some reason, he decided Macclesfield was the place to hand his notice in. I could have saved those John

kelly - Heart of a lion !!!!!!!!! hands of hero

Gerrard - Had he had kicking feet ... he would have quite easily been No1

Goram

Rhodes

Gerrard

Kelly

Pogliacomi

Hallworth

Only Pogs of those played the whole time in this :censored: league and sometimes at the right end of it.

As great as he's been, Ripley will sadly never make such a list as he'll be off in the summer never to be seen again.

He could end up better than any of them but can't go down as a Latics great for one season spent largely in the relegation places.

I'd love Shez to find a good, solid keeper who'll spend 3 to 5 years plus here but it seems Premier League 3rd or 4th choices on loan for a season are the better option....

Edited by HarryBosch

As great as he's been, Ripley will sadly never make such a list as he'll be off in the summer never to be seen again.

He could end up better than any of them but can't go down as a Latics great for one season spent largely in the relegation places.

Not sure Harry. I considered the overall impact and influence the goalkeeper had on our team performance when choosing my list. Most likely without Ripley we'd be virtually already relegated so I figured his influence big enough to be considered one of our greatest ever. Similarly as without Hallworth we'd have probably been play-off competitors in 1991 rather than champions and without Pogs we'd not have made the play-offs in 2003.

Goram

Rhodes

Gerrard

Kelly

Pogliacomi

Hallworth

Only Pogs of those played the whole time in this :censored: league and sometimes at the right end of it.

I'd love Shez to find a good, solid keeper who'll spend 3 to 5 years plus here but it seems Premier League 3rd or 4th choices on loan for a season are the better option....

Ripley is our best player...never mind best goalkeeper. Until Taylor and Holloway came, he's the only one that other teams would want from our XI. And every single team in this division would have him. We've arguably never had a stand-out player like that in any position in any division. I dare say most of the championship would be delighted to have him.

Ripley is our best player...never mind best goalkeeper. Until Taylor and Holloway came, he's the only one that other teams would want from our XI. And every single team in this division would have him. We've arguably never had a stand-out player like that in any position in any division. I dare say most of the championship would be delighted to have him.

Tarky, Gregan? Bloody Eardley?

Clarke

People forgetting Ripley is playing in division three while other names played in the top flight, cup semi finals etc. Have a feeling if Ripley was as good as Gerrard he'd not be wasting his time on loan with us. Gerrard was younger when he was doing the business for us.

I'm sure most fans are well aware of what level Ripleys performing at, like Gerrard Ripley has his faults with his kicking but he potentially can go on to much bigger things.

Can't believe you've left Goram out of your top 5!!

I considered Goram long and hard when drawing up my list. I was still a fan of his after he left, and I saw him score the winning penalty in a Skol Cup shoot-out for Hibs. At Billy Urmson's testimonial do, i won Goram's Scotland cricket sweater (he's the only man ever to play for that country at football and cricket) in a raffle. I gave the sweater to a Scottish lad who became a fan of Latics afrer meeting a group of our fans in Stranraer pre-season, and he used to drive on his own from Stranraer for home games at BP! However, I still can't get out of my head that shambolic performance against Cardiff on his return to BP.

Similarly Gerrard in the 5-0 defeat at White Hart Lane. Also Hallworth at Old Trafford, only hours after being in A & E, following a night out when he should have been preparing for the big game.

I feel they all let us down badly and can't forgive them.