The worst pitch in the division?

I think the pitch situation sums up the running of the club perfectly, off the pitch we are in serious need of a reshape. You look at what Rochdale are doing, they have fewer staff, but are better run. Other clubs in our division too, have the same or less staff members and run a damn sight better. The money for the pitch is there somewhere, but we can't find it in part because of the amount of people we employ. How many people are needed in Commercial when the Exec boxes are sold via the OEC? It isn't personal against anyone, I'm sure everyone there works damn hard, but we are a very small local business. It's about time we start acting as one, we need a smaller staff list both on and off the pitch. Then if the North Stand starts to make money, slowly pump more into the off the field stuff, let's go back to basics.

I know this will be largely unpopular, I am only basing it on what Rochdale and other similar sized clubs are doing.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the pitch situation sums up the running of the club perfectly, off the pitch we are in serious need of a reshape. You look at what Rochdale are doing, they have fewer staff, but are better run. Other clubs in our division too, have the same or less staff members and run a damn sight better. The money for the pitch is there somewhere, but we can't find it in part because of the amount of people we employ. How many people are needed in Commercial when the Exec boxes are sold via the OEC? It isn't personal against anyone, I'm sure everyone there works damn hard, but we are a very small local business. It's about time we start acting as one, we need a smaller staff list both on and off the pitch. Then if the North Stand starts to make money, slowly pump more into the off the field stuff, let's go back to basics.

I know this will be largely unpopular, I am only basing it on what Rochdale and other similar sized clubs are doing.

And how many staff do we need to make redundant to pay for a new pitch?

Apart from the budget ( :lol:) we're run in a very public sector manner aren't we?

Widespread constant incompetence, attempts at interaction with anyone at the club usually being :censored:ing hard work, a culture of general surliness, spending money (or trying to) on things many fans don't want or think we need - eg the scoreboard, regularly being told off by the people whose wages we pay, nothing ever being finished on time (or at all :lol:), over officious stewards.....

It's uncanny... :lol:

Edited by HarryBosch

I thought Moore put this pitch in? I may be wrong on that but I seem to remember it being Moore who invested heavily in the pitch.

Oldham Council installed the pitch when they owned the ground. When Moore wanted to buy the land back at 1999 prices (5yr price hold had been agreed with the council when Hardy and Brierley sold it) the council added the £1m they paid for the DESSO pitch to the amount. Moore told them where to go. This info was from Sean Jarvis and Bob Telfer (Moore right-hand man) during a SAFE meeting.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Oldham Council installed the pitch when they owned the ground. When Moore wanted to buy the land back at 1999 prices (5yr price hold had been agreed with the council when Hardy and Brierley sold it) the council added the £1m they paid for the DESSO pitch to the amount. Moore told them where to go. This info was from Sean Jarvis and Bob Telfer (Moore right-hand man) during a SAFE meeting.

And Desso pitches last an average of 10 years. Beyond that they deteriorate and need significant work to renew them. I vaguely remember some serious work being done pre-season a few years ago but suspect that the pitch needs replacing now. One of the purposes of the artificial fibres is to improve drainage and a few years back our pitch seemed to cope remarkably well with torrential downpours. That doesn't seem to be the case now and, of course, the wetter the pitch is, the more it cuts up and causing further deterioration during games.

The ground staff did remarkably well to get it looking like it did for the start of this season, after the state it was in at the end of last. But it must be frustrating for them to see it in the state it's in now.

I thought I'd read the issue was the drainage not working properly and the excess water is killing the grass

Isn't there a brook or something that runs underneath the pitch? Supposedly the North Stand has impacted the drainage of this so it just builds up. Since we've built the new stand when its rained for a while you can see that part of the pitch from chaddy end penalty box (north stand side of the penalty area D) to just past halfway RRE side is more of a bog.

Dunno why, but you've just had me wondering if he's taken his banners with him to Motherwell

They've been taken down from Little Wembley.

May be Corney offered them to him as part of his settlement ?

https://mobile.twitter.com/FCUnitedMcr/status/838005700949336065

I think they get pretty similar weather 3 miles down the road, if non league clubs run by volunteers can produce a surface like that whats stopping us?

Is financial investment the only problem for us? Do we look at the ability of the grounds team at any point?