Froch vs Groves II  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? YOU DECIDE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British Super Middlweight Champion and 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist James DeGale and Commonwealth Super Middleweight Champion George Groves, long time sparring and gym partners, bitter rivals since their clash in the amateurs have now signed to fight on May 21st in which should be a huge event.

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12602_6819298,00.html

This one could recapture the imagination of casual fans across the country, can't wait for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeh. I rate Groves and want him to win. Unfortunately I rate DeGale more.

Walsh Vs Kays was a good fight last night. Shame about Vitali's. Anyone else think Haye could struggle more against Vitali than Wlad?

I like Groves. DeGale is a horrible little bastard.

I think it'll be a close fight. If I was going to call it, I'd say DG but I hope not.

The highlights of Berto Vs Ortiz on ringside this week were top drawer. Did anyone see the full fight? Looked like a real slug-fest.

Yeah I saw it. Brilliant fight. It was only a matter of time before Ortiz put in a performance like this. He is quality. He's even more explosive at Welterweight.

I'll have to find it online.

Caught up with Hopkins Pascal last night.....good show from the man who's 46 next month. Won't disclose the result in case you haven't seen it yet.

There's a prizefighter style show on at Tara start of May I think. Seems to be just local lads. Might be a laugh, like their white-collar show.

I'll have to find it online.

Caught up with Hopkins Pascal last night.....good show from the man who's 46 next month. Won't disclose the result in case you haven't seen it yet.

There's a prizefighter style show on at Tara start of May I think. Seems to be just local lads. Might be a laugh, like their white-collar show.

Hopkins continues to defy odds, he's an all time great. He deserved to win that fight but given that it was in Canada it didn't surprise me that he didn't get the decision.

Can't wait for the rematch next month. Hopkins will school Pascal from the start this time, I reckon. Wide UD.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like stage-managed bollocks to me.

I was just about to post something similar, is this boxing's last throw of the dice? WWE-esque pressers?

I hope not, this fight has actually got my attention - that's a first since I don't-know-when.

I was just about to post something similar, is this boxing's last throw of the dice? WWE-esque pressers?

I hope not, this fight has actually got my attention - that's a first since I don't-know-when.

Nah. There's some top boxing and fighters around at the minutes...just it's hard to keep up as the whole scene's carved up between loads of boxing orgs and different TV companies and promoters.

In a way I was more looking forward to Nathan Cleverly V Brahmer - now that's off I'm not sure I will fork out for the PPV. I do really wanna watch DeGale and Groves, though. I want Groves to seriously beat up DeGale, but I personally don't give Groves anything more than a 'puncher's chance' - hope I'm wrong.

Sounds like stage-managed bollocks to me.

I think this is authentic, you can usually tell when it's forced as boxers tend not to be good actors. Take Haye-Harrison for example, they have been good mates for years and then all of a sudden they hate each other? That was clearly for show and not convincing at all. But they needed something to sell that joke of a fight. But Groves and DeGale really are two opposite personalities, long term rivals from different backgrounds and they have a history in the amateurs.

Nah. There's some top boxing and fighters around at the minutes...just it's hard to keep up as the whole scene's carved up between loads of boxing orgs and different TV companies and promoters.

In a way I was more looking forward to Nathan Cleverly V Brahmer - now that's off I'm not sure I will fork out for the PPV. I do really wanna watch DeGale and Groves, though. I want Groves to seriously beat up DeGale, but I personally don't give Groves anything more than a 'puncher's chance' - hope I'm wrong.

I was happy when Bellew was announced as the opponent, but then he came in overweight and Clev is fighting Kuziemski so I'm not interested in that fight now. I'll watch DeGale and Groves and then head off out.

Edited by PlayItLivo

I think this authentic, you can usually tell when it's forced as boxers tend not to be good actors. Take Haye-Harrison for example, they have been good mates for years and then all of a sudden they hate each other? That was clearly for show and not convincing at all. But they needed something to sell that joke of a fight. But Groves and DeGale really are two opposite personalities, long term rivals from different backgrounds and they have a history in the amateurs.

I was happy when Bellew was announced as the opponent, but then he came in overweight and Clev is fighting Kuziemski so I'm not interested in that fight now. I'll watch DeGale and Groves and then head off out.

I agree with all of that but I don't buy the winner takes all story.

That Bellew v Cleverly press conference got a bit feisty. Think that was just a desperate attempt to reignite some interest in Cleverly's fight after Braehmer's withdrawal.

I agree with all of that but I don't buy the winner takes all story.

That Bellew v Cleverly press conference got a bit feisty. Think that was just a desperate attempt to reignite some interest in Cleverly's fight after Braehmer's withdrawal.

Aye, neither will pay up if they lose, but I don't think it was staged, tempers just ran high. I'm not sure about the Bellew fiasco, I wouldn't put it past Warren to bring Bellew in knowing full well he wouldn't make weight to fight just so it gave Sky less time to demote the event to regular Sky. Now that Bellew has had to withdraw with one day to go Sky can't cancel the box office event now that Clev's fighting a feather-fisted bum. Either way Bellew is a knob and I hope he gets battered in his rematch with Ovill McKenzie.

Aye, neither will pay up if they lose, but I don't think it was staged, tempers just ran high. I'm not sure about the Bellew fiasco, I wouldn't put it past Warren to bring Bellew in knowing full well he wouldn't make weight to fight just so it gave Sky less time to demote the event to regular Sky. Now that Bellew has had to withdraw with one day to go Sky can't cancel the box office event now that Clev's fighting a feather-fisted bum. Either way Bellew is a knob and I hope he gets battered in his rematch with Ovill McKenzie.

You might be right. They were all very cagey when one reporter asked about Bellew's weight. And, yes, he is a knob.

Got free tickets for this. So will be down there. Looking forward to it. Gutted Braehmar isn't there, even more gutted Balloon has fallen through.

Reminds me I need to pick my suit up from the Dry Cleaners.

Also is anyone off to Hamburg for the Haye fight?

I'm goinghad to fanny around a bit to get a cheap flight though.

Got free tickets for this. So will be down there. Looking forward to it. Gutted Braehmar isn't there, even more gutted Balloon has fallen through.

Reminds me I need to pick my suit up from the Dry Cleaners.

Also is anyone off to Hamburg for the Haye fight?

I'm goinghad to fanny around a bit to get a cheap flight though.

Not boxing but my next event is the invitation only ADCC International Tournament in Nottingham, Braulio Estima, Jacare, Royler Gracie, Eddie B, Renzo Gracie, Mario Sperry - I can't wait for it.

...just it's hard to keep up as the whole scene's carved up between loads of boxing orgs and different TV companies and promoters.

True, but the flipside to that is (MMA) just the one promotion/org, or a strong promotion with three or four satellite promotions feeding off the scraps - some will moan about there being no diversity or competition. It has it's advantages, but you can't please all.

True, but the flipside to that is (MMA) just the one promotion/org, or a strong promotion with three or four satellite promotions feeding off the scraps - some will moan about there being no diversity or competition. It has it's advantages, but you can't please all.

Just like wrestling and WWE.

[runs]

:grin: