The Boxing Thread.

Froch vs Groves II  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? YOU DECIDE.

Aye, neither will pay up if they lose, but I don't think it was staged, tempers just ran high. I'm not sure about the Bellew fiasco, I wouldn't put it past Warren to bring Bellew in knowing full well he wouldn't make weight to fight just so it gave Sky less time to demote the event to regular Sky. Now that Bellew has had to withdraw with one day to go Sky can't cancel the box office event now that Clev's fighting a feather-fisted bum. Either way Bellew is a knob and I hope he gets battered in his rematch with Ovill McKenzie.

Warren would be the type to do it, but Bellew was very serious, at the risk of stereotyping he is what an outsider would consider a typical scouser!

The fight wouldn't get dropped to Sky, as although Clev's world title shot was the main event it is Groves Degale that has sold the most tickets PPV seats. Cleverly has harldy been promoted for this at all. All the promotion tours have been Degale and Groves. It is pretty difficult to find out the rest of the undercard with people only talking about this fight.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get in there Groves! :grin:

Loving DeGale almost jumping in the air as the announcer said "...still undefeated..." before realising that could also be Groves. :lol:

:lol:

Yeah, I spotted that.

I hold my hands up and admit I didn't think Groves had that in him, I was wrong, it was close but Groves got his tactics spot on. DeGale just wasn't active enough, he should have used his strength more to bully Groves but he only did so in short periods.

Glad Groves won in the end and I think we'll see a rematch down the line.

I think FW called it right when he mentioned about the early rounds where not many punches were thrown - it probably came down to how you called them.

Gonna watch it again today.

Good point about DeGale should've had a point or two deducted.

Billy Joe looked good.

Clev's fight looked it could've been a right tear up. Shame about that one.

Hopkins Pascal 2 tonight.

I think FW called it right when he mentioned about the early rounds where not many punches were thrown - it probably came down to how you called them.

Gonna watch it again today.

Good point about DeGale should've had a point or two deducted.

Billy Joe looked good.

Clev's fight looked it could've been a right tear up. Shame about that one.

Hopkins Pascal 2 tonight.

Clev's fight was entertaining while it lasted. Stoppage was premature - the ref seemed very keen to stop it, going to the Kuziemski corner before the fourth round, when he looked fine.

Thought Clev was impressive, but a bit wreckless at times and was trying to throw too many big punches, considering he up against a man who can usually stay the distance. But he won, so I don't suppose he'll see it that way.

Good night out. Delighted Groves won. He pipped it for me. Threw more and landed more. De-gale tried to be his usual cute self but did't get anywhere near.

Glad I didn't pay for last night as it was another Warren night out with all undercard his fighters, fighting turkeys to get another win on their records.

Frank Warren calling it a robbery, says he hasn't met any one who thought Groves won it. (How about the the 20,000 in attendance who were cheering Gorves at the enn, Frank?) And he's seeking an immediate rematch from the British Boxing Board of Control. :/

And if you could believe it, some idiot reporter on Sky Sports News had Groves on air via the phone and asked him if he would be interested in "fighting Amir Khan stateside". :blink:

Groves just said "Erm, I'm a little bit bigger than Khan. Maybe you meant Carl Froch?"

The reporter just sort of looked and thought "who?!"

Another masterclass from Bernard, now the oldest world champion in history, at 46 he just clowned a tough, durable 28 year old and made it look easy. He's an all time great.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Frank Warren calling it a robbery, says he hasn't met any one who thought Groves won it. (How about the the 20,000 in attendance who were cheering Gorves at the enn, Frank?) And he's seeking an immediate rematch from the British Boxing Board of Control. :/

And if you could believe it, some idiot reporter on Sky Sports News had Groves on air via the phone and asked him if he would be interested in "fighting Amir Khan stateside". :blink:

Groves just said "Erm, I'm a little bit bigger than Khan. Maybe you meant Carl Froch?"

The reporter just sort of looked and thought "who?!"

Another masterclass from Bernard, now the oldest world champion in history, at 46 he just clowned a tough, durable 28 year old and made it look easy. He's an all time great.

Warren is an idiot, he's just gutted his cash cow won't be worth as much money. He said 'only two of the judges thought Groves had won it' ... Well none of them thought Degale did.

Hopkins was excellent yet again, not exciting but excellent. There is talk of him fighting Cleverley next but I don't think Warren will allow that.

Forgot to mention before. Best part of Saturday night was Tyson Fury getting chucked out for trying to fight with Derek Chisora ringside.

Was going to ask if you'd seen the bother between them two. It was mentioned during Saunders' fight that those two were at it ringside.

Think we all know that Clev isn't ready for Hopkins. What's the score with Clevs size - is there no chance of him dropping down to super-middleweight?

some good fights for him at that level.

Was going to ask if you'd seen the bother between them two. It was mentioned during Saunders' fight that those two were at it ringside.

Think we all know that Clev isn't ready for Hopkins. What's the score with Clevs size - is there no chance of him dropping down to super-middleweight?

some good fights for him at that level.

Yeah it was pretty funny. Heard a load of noise then saw a bit of a scuffle and Fury taking his top off and charging for Chisora.

The purse has since been won for their fight so it is definitely happening.

Cleverley was pretty ripped for Saturdays fight. So probably wouldn't want to drop down a weight. We all know boxers can do it (three hours in the sauna should have him more than ready) but it wouldn't do him many favours in the long term. Plus at 24 his body hasn't stopped growing yet so can expect him to fill out a little more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

not seen a thread on it yet but whats everyones thoughts of the Mayweather KO ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3zb4IftASA

Legal but morally wrong.

Boxing continues to live under a black cloud.

Nothing like an 80 year old offering Mayweather out, better than the fight.

Also how nice is 'Vicious' Ortiz in the press conference afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Are we all looking forward to Cleverly V Bellew ? I'll be amazed if it doesn't turn into an absolute war.

In case you don't already know, the fight is being shown for free on Boxnation - channel 456. Sat 15th Oct.

Edited by Yard Dog

Are we all looking forward to Cleverly V Bellew ? I'll be amazed if it doesn't turn into an absolute war.

In case you don't already know, the fight is being shown for free on Boxnation - channel 456. Sat 15th Oct.

I'm out the country for this. Should be a blinder. Saying that apart from hitting hard I haven't seen too much of what else he can do. Not had too many fights though so there could be a lot more. Saw him running through Liverpool a few weeks ago in the early hours so he's certainly committed.

Boxnation is a decent channel. I doubt I will pay a tenner a month though when it turns. Pretty gutted really that a lot of fights have moved to another channel that many won't have.

Anyone see special K on Saturday. Made a good European level champion look very ordinary.

Pauly Malignaggi next please to see what level he is really at. An easily beatable but very good opponent

I haven't seen much of Bellew, but from what I have seen, I think he could be in for a good hiding on Saturday. However, with Cleverly being prone to slugging it out rather than boxing, he could always leave himself open to one of Bellew's bombs... checked out Bellew's amateur record the other day - pretty impressive KO rate !

I doubt I'll pay a tenner a month for BoxNation as well - money's tight and I have to draw the line somewhere. Shame, because it looks like it will be a good channel, but if I had spare cash I'd probably rather get ESPN for UFC.

The Kell Brook fight was a total mis-match. The Pole hardly landed a shot and Kell looked like he was in first gear throughout. Strange, because that Pole has never been stopped according to Boxrec.

Edited by Yard Dog