The Boxing Thread.

Froch vs Groves II  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? YOU DECIDE.

I didn't realise just how much he'd gone to bits (in terms of his personal life) since he retired. There was a pretty painful interview with him in the Guardian yesterday where he was talking about his depression and his fall-out with his parents. I didn't really know why he was bothering with a come-back - he didn't exactly look after himself when he was at his peak, the damage he's done to himself was bound to have taken its toll - but maybe he just needed something to focus on to get himself sorted out.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was sad to see him go out on his shield like that.

He didn't look anything like his former self.

Got caught with everything and what he gave back didn't look like it had the spite of an Old Hatton.

Pressure fighters can only go on so long.

I only really wanted to watch the Quigg - Munro fight on that one. Quigg is one of my favourite boxers out there at the moment, he did a real good job on a very strong and durable Munroe.

Now everyone will push for a Quigg Frampton fight. I would rather see one or both get a decent belt before they get it on.

Flintoff next week. Watched his buid up show this week on sky1 and his defence is shocking. I know nothing of the lad he is fighting. But if he can punch he may be in trouble

I saw the Channel 5 show this evening. Eubank Jnr is certainly his father's son, with that infuriating dropped shoulder stance. Looks to have the same talent though, just lacking the same bang that Snr had perhaps. Fury did his job, ridiculous booing that he couldn't put away a guy who could stand up to a tank and see 12 rounds out. He should have learnt a lot tonight and fair play to his corner for telling him to box clever and win the fight and not take a chance of walking onto a random hook that the other guy was banking on.

Even for someone who has chosen to be hit in the face for a living Fury is a little bit lacking in the brains department but despite this limitation he did do well last night.

The ref was rather fussy but I actually quite liked him, he repeatedly warned Fury for punching the back of the head and hitting on the break, it was on one of these that Fury shouted "Sorry" about and got a point deducted. But to be fair to the big lad, he didn't fight the fight he usually does and stuck to the plan that his corner had set out for him so he did have a lot to concentrate on and managed to do it all.

But the best thing about Tyson Fury is this:

I meant to put this earlier but forgot, at the start of the 10th or 11th the ref got the two fighters together and said "You guys are being paid to fight and that last round was a shocking round." - I can think of more than a few fights where I would have liked the ref to have said that as well.

haha yeah it was an odd round that Fury just started walking around and Johnson had no interest in trying to walk him down. Johnson is an odd fighter only wants to jab and stand still - a bit of head movement and he might have been able to close the gap on fury. Good win for Tyson better than the likes of Madalone needs some simelar tests now

/\ Indeed.

Good night of boxing last night, Darren Barker looked impressive in his TKO victory over Kerry Hope. DeGale cruised to a points decision against Zuniga and Mikkel Kessler stopped Brian MaGee with ease to setup another war with Carl Froch.

Then early on in the morning was Pacquiao v Marquez IV, Pacquaio was proving to be elusive for Marquez before Marquez landed a beast of an overhand right in the 3rd round which sent Pacquaio to the floor. Pacman got back up, picked up the foot and head movement and was bossing Marquez in the 4th, in the 5th Pacman lands a straight right which sent JMM off balance and forced him to touch down, from there on Pacman was beating Marquez up, although Marquez fired back, Pacquaio had Marquez bloody and backing up. The 6th round was more even contested until the final minute or so where Pacman again landed a combination that had Marquez backing up, however as an over eagerly Pacquaio went in search for the kill, in the very last second of the 6th round he walked into a brutal counter, over hand right again which sent Pacman on the floor and out cold for the count.

Great fight, just like the previous and I fully expect a 5th bout between them. Great win for Marquez.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Just seen the finish, that was a great shot, could have stopped an elephant.

Good night for Eubank Jnr too, 2nd fight in a week, ref was a balloon but Eubank showed he is improving. Kid Galahad also showed he is improving, every inch an Ingle fighter. Galahad will probably go further than Eubank but 2 good young boxers. DeGale wasn't bad either, likes being hit a bit too much for my liking but had a good work out.

I'm a big fan of Kid Galahad or to call him by his real name Barry. Very slick.

I like Barker just for being a genuinly nice bloke, always had the skills didn't think he possessed that much power but looked to heart Hope who has a good chin.

The Ryder - O'Kane was my favourite fight of the domestic bunch. Well impresse with Ryder. Very slick.

Magee looked well out of his depth in with Kessler.

Marquez looked massive in there. Roach was claiming he was juiced before the fight. The finishing punch was a shocker he was out as soon as it landed.

Great fight but I can't help thinking the Mayweather - Pacquaio is getting once again further and further away. When it does happen it will be two fighters both past their best. Two back to back losses for Manny.

Khan returns this weekend. The kid he is fighting doesn't look to have too much power so he should be okay.

Barry Awad! And people wonder why he goes by Kid Galahad. I'm a big fan of Ingle fighters and have big hopes for this lad.

I like Khan but nothing would surprise me with him. He was the speed and has shown he has the power to down people but it just doesn't all add up for him. Could be a Roach thing but he has made steps forward then more steps backwards. He was comfortably ahead in his last fight only to be clocked on the ear and counted out. I feel for the kid, he has caught some opponents on the wrong night and it is looking more and more likely that the fight game just isn't for him.

The only fight I saw this weekend was De Gale's. I can't be doing with him as a person but have to say he was very impressive in the early rounds. Later, though, he resorted to backing himself into the ropes, trying to counter Zuniga's attacks and I think a better fighter would have punished him severely.

• 2 months later...

Another cocky :censored:.....with loads of talent.....wouldn't wanna be Rees on Sat night ! Broner's looked quality up to now.

Thanks for that vid - actually more enjoyed listening to Eddie and Gavin than Broner.

Edited by Yard Dog

• 2 weeks later...

Price got hit on the neck.

Never seen his chin tested. Turns out he doesn't have much.

Gutted was hoping we had a new star.

Over to you Tyson.

Not having seen the fight, does this mean Price went out because he was hit on the neck, in which case how does this relate to his chin? After seeing Baxter hit in the balls I am all a-confussed

Not having seen the fight, does this mean Price went out because he was hit on the neck, in which case how does this relate to his chin? After seeing Baxter hit in the balls I am all a-confussed

Caught him on the neck/ear.

Chin is a generic term for someone who can or can't take a punch (off a 20 stone man).

Jel;ly legs.

Wonder if Baxter is mates with Price. I know he is mates with Tony Bellew. Who in turn is good mates with Price.