Windass reveals suicide attempt

dean Windass has admitted he recently attempted suicide after battling with depression following the end of his playing career.

Windass, who fired hometown club Hull into the Premier League with a stunning winner in the 2008 play-off final, ended his playing days last year at the age of 42....sporting life

dean Windass has admitted he recently attempted suicide after battling with depression following the end of his playing career.

Windass, who fired hometown club Hull into the Premier League with a stunning winner in the 2008 play-off final, ended his playing days last year at the age of 42....sporting life

Bloody hell, I wouldnt wish depression on my worst enemey.

Hope he pulls through it

Bloody hell, I wouldnt wish depression on my worst enemey.

Hope he pulls through it

same.

Its only football at the end of the day. Hope he finds something to fill in his time. He does Soccer Saturday but I guess its a matter of keeping busy in the week.

And Bloody hell he failed twice. I wonder how ? I wonder if someone found him, lets hope he has someone to support him through all of this

Edited by razza699

same.

Its only football at the end of the day. Hope he finds something to fill in his time. He does Soccer Saturday but I guess its a matter of keeping busy in the week.

And Bloody hell he failed twice. I wonder how ? I wonder if someone found him, lets hope he has someone to support him through all of this

If you read the article, someone found him the first time and interrupted him the second time.

These incidents speak, to me, as a cry for help rather than a definitive attempt to end his life. However that in no way reduces the need for him to be provided with professional support.

At the risk of sounding insensitive:

Would a failed suicide attempt make you more suicidal or would it shake you out of it a bit and make you realise that there is more to live for?

Dunno - maybe it would make you feel like more of a failure?

Windass appears to have 2 major things that have hit him - enforced career change and the wife kicked him out. The career change is something that he knew was coming and could prepare for. I assume he didn't expect the wife to catch him out with the bird from the pub, so that may have hit him harder. Dunno.

A change in career, even within the same industry, has the potential to trigger depression. A change in domestic situation moreso.

I know when I was being treated for depression the GP asked repeated questions about my drive to work. Clearly trying to establish if I was going to veer off the M62 in a moment of suicidal madness. Don't know if that's relevant though. Just something I recall, probably becuase while I was a miserable as I can ever imagine being, I wasn't suicidal. If Windass has seen his GP I would expect a similar sort of assessment to have been carried out.

That was my immediate thought.

That's what I thought too. Which is why I think people may go to more extreme measures of suicide (like throwing yourself off a multi-storey).

Anyway please don't let my curiousity get in the way of a serious subject.

I think the fact that you are surrounded by 20+ 'lads' of similar mentality and age every day. Training often sounds like a laugh. I imagine losing that hits you hard. Same with the endorphines and adrenalin constantly keeping you high when you are playing and training.

I think the fact that you are surrounded by 20+ 'lads' of similar mentality and age every day. Training often sounds like a laugh. I imagine losing that hits you hard. Same with the endorphines and adrenalin constantly keeping you high when you are playing and training.

In the case of Paul Scholes, even being with the Reserves every day was not enough to fill the playing void.

That's what I thought too. Which is why I think people may go to more extreme measures of suicide (like throwing yourself off a multi-storey).

Anyway please don't let my curiousity get in the way of a serious subject.

I think the guy nees to go back to what he knows best - playing footie and keeping in shape! Join a 5-aside team for the social side and running is great for giving your mind a break from the downward spiral of negative thoughts! Not saying it is the answer; but it certainly helped me!

Depression is a terrible thing - however, if he honestly believes that the PFA should help him when he's finished???? Bollocks!

Do like the rest of 'normal paid' society do - get off your ass and use your talents somewhere else.

Especially when you've had a decent corn for your living already......

I think he's suggesting the PFA should help him in a non-financial sense? And I don't see any issue with that - they're a professional body whose sole purpose is to look after the athletes under their care... why should it be that just because he's stopped kicking a ball he should no longer be considered important to them!?

I think he's suggesting the PFA should help him in a non-financial sense? And I don't see any issue with that - they're a professional body whose sole purpose is to look after the athletes under their care... why should it be that just because he's stopped kicking a ball he should no longer be considered important to them!?

I did hear a radio report that said Windass had refused their offer of help with rehab.

I've not seen anything online confirming this, but the jist was "individuals have to seek help / accept offers of help". It sounded like he hadn't done the second bit and then had a dig at the PFA in the press.