OWTB - What's it worth?

• 3 weeks later...

When's the annual appeal Ackey?

I usually donate to that as I think it's the best way for OWTB to get a lump sum together.

You give us too much credit - I'm not sure we're organised enough to appeal annually, BP! We started this thread in April (almost three years ago - wow!) so I suppose many will have donated a lump sum then, rather than pledging regular monthly donations.

How are things standing, are you looking over your shoulder or is it chugging along nicely.

We're ticking over without having to dip into our own pockets which is great but we only have a safety net of about one month's fees.

All of the donations are very much appreciated. Cheers everyone! :chubb:

How are things standing, are you looking over your shoulder or is it chugging along nicely.

We're hosted on IPB which is in the US and therefore we issue transactions to them in USD; I figure you know what's coming next...

The USD strength over the last six months has increased our monthly spend by 20%. So we were doing quite nicely at 1.55ish, but scraping by at 1.22ish.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, IBP, although more expensive (and increasingly so) are the most reliable and feature rich providers I've worked with - I regularly shop around for alternatives for our service, however I've yet to find a similar service for less.

We tend not to keep begging for cash as we realise it can become a nag and be intrusive, we are very appreciative of all the donations we receive - both one offs and monthly contributions. Thanks again everyone for that, and sticking by us making this community what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Cost fluctuate depending on traffic (hence why we merge threads and lock the old ones people bounce for no constructive reason), but generally due to our user numbers we require the premium package from IPB. Rummy or Steve can give you more specifics, they pay the bills.

As for sponsors we've had a few along the years, not least of all the Club, but generally speaking people lose interest over time as whilst we know the user numbers are exceptional for a club of our size they don't have an overt effect. We're very confident we made the Club a lot of money, we know the impact we had on their traffic and the boost it gave them, but we decided that deal was't for us when the editorial meddling started - Rummy was very quick to step away at that point.

Overall we'd welcome anyone willing to sponsor all or part of the board to get in touch - we've plenty of creative ways people can become involved in helping with costs!

What Ackey said.

Costs vary depending on activity. Based on normal usage, the annual cost will now be the best part of £1,000. Spikes in activity, like a big FA Cup draw, a change in manager or trying to sign a rapist, create a corresponding spike in cost as we have to buy add-ons to stay online.

As mentioned, we've had sponsorship - Red Star for a while and the club before that. Unfortunately, we were being asked to remove content the club didn't like, which went against what we'd agreed, and so we took the decision to go independent again, even though it meant having to try and find the money to keep it going.

I did have a few chats with Geroge Hill about sponsorship after that but unfortunately that didn't come to anything, as they felt they had this audience covered with their sponsorship of the club, which is fair enough.

We'd be more than happy to talk to anyone who's interested about sponsorship but, for the meantime, we're extremely grateful for the support of members.

That's about the top and bottom of it, the thing about sponsors is that whatever happens on here, reflects on them - and to many, message boards, the 'wild west saloons of the internet', are just too messy to get involved with.

Stevie, Geroge Hill sounds like it should be in Skyrim.

Thanks guys - really appreciate the update.

I get the point about sponsorship and being associated with some of the content in message boards, and also I suppose without the demographic information it's hard to know what audience you'd be targeting.

£1,000 a year doesn't seem too bad for what we get - how many regular members do you have? How much of that is now covered by donations (regular or not) from them?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Monthly contribution set up........I think! Took a bit of time to get used to the new format but fine with it now. ?

Let me me know if it's not set up.

I've not checked, however thank you for your contributions - it is most welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not seeing the donation paypal link - apart from on this threads first post - which is a subscription link.

I can see this though ...
pixel.gifClick on the PayPal button and please donate whatever you can to keep OWTB up and running, thanks - OWTB Admin Team

But there is no link to click!

Help - I feel Royally ashamed and need to absolve my sins :lol:

On 05/07/2017 at 0:05 PM, Stagger Lee said:

I'm not seeing the donation paypal link - apart from on this threads first post - which is a subscription link.

I can see this though ...
pixel.gifClick on the PayPal button and please donate whatever you can to keep OWTB up and running, thanks - OWTB Admin Team

But there is no link to click!

Help - I feel Royally ashamed and need to absolve my sins :lol:

Hi, okay - I'll work on that, thanks for the feedback.

On 7/9/2017 at 3:05 PM, rudemedic said:

Added my traditional Commodore towards site upkeep as part of my entry to Prediction League. 

Keep up the good work lads.

Received and much appreciated.  I'll transfer the donation across to the OWTB account.