League 1 Activity

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thread for news on the activities and transfers of other clubs in League 1 during the close season.

Paul Cook, Chesterfield manager, to Portsmouth. Not bad for us, that.

For what reason?

• 2 weeks later...

Scunthorpe sign Dawson from Dale and bid for Clucas from Chesterfield.

They're throwing money about and must be contenders next season with a decent start to the campaign

Can't see Clucas joining them unless they're paying him the crown jewels. He'll no doubt have admirers from better clubs than Scunny and even if he doesn't, staying at Chesterfield would be a more enticing proposition.

"Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity. Loans from club owners are understandably not included in the Turnover figure as these would result in growing club debts. up club debts. In League 1 and League 2, a wealthy owner can therefore fund the club spending in a way that is not permitted in other divisions"

And righly so in my view; I don't see why a wealthy owner should be stopped from spending money although I would advoicvatre some sort of bond to protect against a club being left with unsustainable contracts if said owner walks away. Have Scunthorpe got one?

"Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity. Loans from club owners are understandably not included in the Turnover figure as these would result in growing club debts. up club debts. In League 1 and League 2, a wealthy owner can therefore fund the club spending in a way that is not permitted in other divisions"

And righly so in my view; I don't see why a wealthy owner should be stopped from spending money although I would advoicvatre some sort of bond to protect against a club being left with unsustainable contracts if said owner walks away. Have Scunthorpe got one?

Wiki says Chairman is Peter Swann, family fortune was estimated by the Sunday Times at £340 million in 2013.

Archived