League 1 Activity

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players in lower leagues do not commit so early as the likes of Beckford and Dawson have done unless the package on offer is extremely attractive.

Paying Dawson more than what Scunny were, and for 3 years, that's something else. Then you've got Beckford for 2yrs as well.

Those buckets aren't far away that's for sure.

19 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Paying Dawson more than what Scunny were, and for 3 years, that's something else. Then you've got Beckford for 2yrs as well.

it might be that Bury aren't paying him more than Scunny were, rather that they are paying more (and for longer) than Scunny were offering him on a new deal.

Bury's signings have clearly got a decent pedigree, but the average age of their squad must be ancient. Dawson has signed a deal which will see him at 35 when it ends. Same with Beckford.

How many times have you seen clubs assemble a team of players like this and it's gone tits up?

Potential to be really good, but you can see it falling apart.

1 minute ago, NewBlue said:

Bury's signings have clearly got a decent pedigree, but the average age of their squad must be ancient. Dawson has signed a deal which will see him at 35 when it ends. Same with Beckford.

How many times have you seen clubs assemble a team of players like this and it's gone tits up?

Potential to be really good, but you can see it falling apart.

Clarke,Gerrard,Wilson. like we can talk!

14 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Bury's signings have clearly got a decent pedigree, but the average age of their squad must be ancient. Dawson has signed a deal which will see him at 35 when it ends. 

Looks a midfield version of Peter Clarke to me - a deal that would have been well worth us doing in my eyes. 

I wouldn't have broken the bank for him though and there'll be similar out there wanting less money between now and August...

9 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Would we be happy with the players Bury have signed is the question?

Dawson, yes...

Beckford, I'm not so sure... I can see him doing nothing. Since leaving Leeds he had a good loan spell 3 years ago and has been no better than average since. On the other hand he could be way too good for this division.....Not one I'd be wanting us to gamble daft money on though...

We don't really need an Edwards..

21 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Looks a midfield version of Peter Clarke to me - a deal that would have been well worth us doing in my eyes. 

I wouldn't have broken the bank for him though and there'll be similar out there wanting less money between now and August...

Easy to look at Clarke now and give him another two years, because he's proved that he can hack it (and more) at his age.

Dawson is now reaching the stage where you'd expect him to slow up. He might even be great next season, but they haven't got a clue whether he'll be able to cope. He's a punt.

Apparently Dawson turned down offers from all 3 relegated Championship clubs if you believe Bury's fishul.

Still, Bury can sign who they want, but they're bottle necked by a shit manager who couldn't get a team with the likes of Rhodes, Pilkington, Peter Clarke, Gary Roberts and Theo Robinson; promoted in like 3 attempts

1 minute ago, PlayItLivo said:

Still, Bury can sign who they want, but they're bottle necked by a shit manager who couldn't get a team with the likes of Rhodes, Pilkington, Peter Clarke, Gary Roberts and Theo Robinson; promoted in like 3 attempts

But don't forget they were unbeaten during that time....

2 hours ago, owdumer said:

Clarke,Gerrard,Wilson. like we can talk!

Bury probably have 10 players in their squad over 30 and on long contracts.

We have a handful and I can't see us bringing in anymore players over 30 either.

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

Bury probably have 10 players in their squad over 30 and on long contracts.

We have a handful and I can't see us bringing in anymore players over 30 either.

You wouldn't take Dawson and Beckford then? I'd have a team full of 40 odds if it gave us the best chance of being competitive, at our level age counts for nowt and the point is proven by players like Clarke and Wilson who stood out amongst plenty of shit youngens.

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You wouldn't take Dawson and Beckford then? I'd have a team full of 40 odds if it gave us the best chance of being competitive, at our level age counts for nowt and the point is proven by players like Clarke and Wilson who stood out amongst plenty of shit youngens.

It depends. Simon Charlton must be the most visible example of someone's legs going over a season, time caught up with Liddell pretty quickly too. On the other hand who would have given Eyres, Shez or Palmer 8 year contracts when they arrived and they held up pretty well.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd snap your hand off for them, but the likelihood is that a side full of 30+ year old big egos won't compete for a full season. Even more likely when they've been there for a couple of years and still getting big wages.

Age only doesn't count when it doesn't suit you. What's the bet you've said 'his legs have gone' when we've had players at the twilight of their career who haven't performed?

Think we can all agree that Clarke is an exceptional case

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

I'd snap your hand off for them, but the likelihood is that a side full of 30+ year old big egos won't compete for a full season. Even more likely when they've been there for a couple of years and still getting big wages.

Age only doesn't count when it doesn't suit you. What's the bet you've said 'his legs have gone' when we've had players at the twilight of their career who haven't performed?

Think we can all agree that Clarke is an exceptional case

Add a Clarke in midfield (Dawson might have fit the bill) and a Clarke upfront (that isn't Beckford) to what we've already got and we'll have a good season in my opinion. 

On 15/05/2017 at 9:42 AM, youngen said:

Tom Pope will be delighted to hear that. Another who will be on a big wage

Pope has gone back to Port Vale now - signed today.

4 hours ago, bozman said:

Pope has gone back to Port Vale now - signed today.

He's not someone I rated tbh. I always thought he was a lump. 

his goals came in league 2 though so he might fire again next year. Bury have got someone off the wage bill though from their point of view. Probably bringing Messi in tomorrow.

On 16 May 2017 at 6:22 PM, yarddog73 said:

Do you remember the last "once prolific" Jaimacan international, who was few years the wrong side of 30 that we signed?

Archived