League 1 Activity

Is it only me who thinks we're a bit slow in the market this year? We need 5 or 6, realistically (if no-one else goes). Early doors but I'd hope to see us linked with someone relatively inspiring within the next week or so because we haven't been as yet.

Maybe so but this is first time in years where we already have the majority of next seasons squad in place. We should look to get 2-3 more in by the time they report back for preseason so they have a full preseason together and ideally a few more before the season starts. Apart from that I would be quite happy for us to wait until august to pick up a couple more on the cheap on the basis that we have 90% of the squad in place to start the season with.

If we lose a few players then we have to react but for me this squad is 4-5 of the right players away from being good enough to push for the top 6.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe so but this is first time in years where we already have the majority of next seasons squad in place. We should look to get 2-3 more in by the time they report back for preseason so they have a full preseason together and ideally a few more before the season starts. Apart from that I would be quite happy for us to wait until august to pick up a couple more on the cheap on the basis that we have 90% of the squad in place to start the season with.

If we lose a few players then we have to react but for me this squad is 4-5 of the right players away from being good enough to push for the top 6.

If we can keep Coleman, Mills, J Wilson, Winchester, Jones, Forte, Poleon, Philliskirk, Kelly and add three or four more of that ilk along with squad players then we can finish mid table again next season...

If we can keep Coleman, Mills, J Wilson, Winchester, Jones, Forte, Poleon, Philliskirk, Kelly and add three or four more of that ilk along with squad players then we can finish mid table again next season...

Oh, we live to dream!

Colin Doyle keeper who's made 44 appearances since 2003 signs for Blackpool. Bury are set to sign Tom Pope bbc Stoke are reporting

And as with Clarke it will be another 3 year deal....they must be throwing serious money at it in an attempt to go straight up.

Thing is, I can't see them getting another 1000 on the gate no matter who they sign so what's the point.

It's a massive gamble that could seriously backfire. If they've borrowed money at a ridiculously high rate as has been reported how can they possibly remain within FFP?

Its all a bit depressing really, I'd love something to really get excited about like that the fact Pope was shown around BP and has chosen Bury ahead of us is even more disheartening. Its bad enough Rochdale getting the better of us without Bury joining in.

Clarke will be on 4.5k

Pope will be on 3.5k

Both of those at a minimum.

Both of those on 3yr deals

8k p/wk over 3yrs is just short of 1.25m.

Neither of those players will have any real resale value.

To me, it's mental, and a clear indication that if they don't manage the unthinkable and won b2b promotions, they'll be shaking buckets again before they know it.

Look at Orient for your warning. Yes they're signing names that we know, but apart from spells here or there, they're average league one players who have passed their peak powers.

I like our recent approach of getting guys in their early to mid 20s, who increase their value while they're with us, rather than lose it.

Although I admit a sprinkling of proven higher division veteran talent like an Andy Liddell, is exciting, L Clarke and Pope don't come under that category.

Look at Orient for your warning. Yes they're signing names that we know, but apart from spells here or there, they're average league one players who have passed their peak powers.

I like our recent approach of getting guys in their early to mid 20s, who increase their value while they're with us, rather than lose it.

Although I admit a sprinkling of proven higher division veteran talent like an Andy Liddell, is exciting, L Clarke and Pope don't come under that category.

Same opinion if it was us signing them?

Top strikeforce in Pope and Clarke especially at league one level.

Plus Ryan Lowe, Nardiello, Hallam Hope, and a few good midfielders, who it's likely they'll add to.

Could all go tits up but you can't knock them for trying. After 20 years or so in this league we surely must've realised you're going nowhere without a bit of ambition and speculation, or a miracle. The promoted teams from last season embody that.

I would be worrying about the fact that if they don't go up this season a lot of these players are pretty old and might decline later in their contracts. Leon Clarke is 30, Lowe is nearer 40, Pope is 30 a few games into the season, Nardiello is 32 and Peter Clarke is 33. I'd be hoping for some investment in younger players if I was a Bury fan.

Only once since 1970 have Bury had a bigger average attendance than Oldham. That'll be close to being beaten this season.

Archived