Latics 3 v 2 Sheffield Wednesday, 11th May 1991

I,ve got the match report from the Chronicle and it says

Hirst 2 mins

Wilson 50 mins

Marshall 60 mins

Bernard 80 mins

Redfearn 90+2 mins

It's part of a Championship Special that came wth the a Chronic on 13 May 1991 -what a lovely read it is

You should try to get an mp3 recording of Stuart Pike's commentary for Piccadilly radio. Haven't heard it for a long time but it was a priceless piece of radio history.

If you've never heard it....listen to the link. Still makes my hairs stand on end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNEIzXem8g

We played that at the OASIS promotion dinner. Great night

I,ve got the match report from the Chronicle and it says

Hirst 2 mins

Wilson 50 mins

Marshall 60 mins

Bernard 80 mins

Redfearn 90+2 mins

It's part of a Championship Special that came wth the a Chronic on 13 May 1991 -what a lovely read it is

That's perfect! Nice one.

For those interested, I'm ordering a mug from these guys detailing the Wednesday match.

They've got no Latics products on at the minute, but they do requests.

Edited by Stevie_J
Fixed link

That's perfect! Nice one.

For those interested, I'm ordering a mug from these guys detailing the Wednesday match.

They've got no Latics products on at the minute, but they do requests.

I've fixed up your link, Chris. I like the Ceefax thing but shame it's BOB Sport, etc.

You should try to get an mp3 recording of Stuart Pike's commentary for Piccadilly radio. Haven't heard it for a long time but it was a priceless piece of radio history.

If you've never heard it....listen to the link. Still makes my hairs stand on end.

top link! havent heard that for a few years, still brings a happy tear to my eye. Best day of my life that was (sorry kids). What a night up town afterwards!

• 11 months later...

Well worth another listen - as it's 25 years ago today!!

I heard rumours of how this all played out at West Ham.

Fans and players celebrating as they thought it was the final score at 2-2 (our game was delayed by about 10 minutes) and then the tannoy annouced the game was still playing and we had a penalty.

Fans and players celebrating as they thought it was the final score at 2-2 (our game was delayed by about 10 minutes) and then the tannoy annouced the game was still playing and we had a penalty.

Be lovely if there was a youtube video of that!

OMG....I never knew old commentary like this was on You tube. I've just played it an bloody marvellous. I was there that night but can't honestly remember much about the extra time bit and holding on...bloody Nora.

Cheers otid. Happy days

As a Latics fan I've always regretted missing this match, but as a 15 year old relying on his dad to buy him a ticket I didn't have much choice.

Anyway what I'll never forget is that mad last half hour listening to Stuart Pike on Piccadilly radio. I was with my dad whilst he was playing cricket and bowling for Littleborough and I was listening in his Rover SD1 Vitesse on the boundary. When we were awarded the pen I shouted 'Dad we've got a penalty, were gonna win the league', with his finger on his lips and the ump looking less than impressed he told me to be quiet. When the pen went in I thought bollocks I'm off to him and me and my dad were jumping around on the wicket celebrating, quality time that. My dad got a warning for running on the pitch.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/11/2016 at 7:40 PM, Scapegoat said:

and West Ham's name had already been engraved on the trophy