Squad movements, summer 2016

Another departure today according to Matt Chambers.

I'm guessing it's Coleman. Very worrying how threadbare this squad is. Any new manager has a job on their hands.

If Coleman it's yet another asset cashed in on...its torture supporting this club

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is Connor then am I right in thinking that comedy 20 mins at Fleetwood would be his last time in a Latics shirt. He managed to combine the bravery of Stuart Barlow with the skill and subtlety of Andy Barlow and the vision of Deidre Barlow!

To be fair he always gave 100%...good luck lad, reckon you need it!

I'm sure a few of the players offered contracts will stay but I can't see the best ones, who might've been wavering beforehand, staying now that Shez has gone.

That might not be necessarily true. Been told that quite a few players didn't like Sheridan (at least when he took over). Whether that is because of previous management teams being to friendly with the players or not, I don't know but apparently quite a few players didn't like him.

Edited by RobOAFC

That might not be necessarily true. Been told that quite a few players didn't like Sheridan (at least when he took over). Whether that is because of previous management teams being to friendly with the players or not, I don't know but apparently quite a few players didn't like him.

The key players that I'm thinking of are the defensive ones. Forte, Poleon, Winchester and Croft are in the "take it or leave it" bracket for me, but Dieng, Gerrard and the Wilson twins all could be vital to us next season and they all responded very well to Shez's management from January onwards.

Interesting if true about the players disliking Shez. What I would say though if those players preferred Kelly or Dunn then I think it reflects badly on them rather than Shez. Anyone happier in regimes that get 1 or 2 wins compared to another that gets 9 clearly doesn't have the right attitude for a team that wants to compete.

The key players that I'm thinking of are the defensive ones. Forte, Poleon, Winchester and Croft are in the "take it or leave it" bracket for me, but Dieng, Gerrard and the Wilson twins all could be vital to us next season and they all responded very well to Shez's management from January onwards.

Interesting if true about the players disliking Shez. What I would say though if those players preferred Kelly or Dunn then I think it reflects badly on them rather than Shez. Anyone happier in regimes that get 1 or 2 wins compared to another that gets 9 clearly doesn't have the right attitude for a team that wants to compete.

Completely agree. They may have hated him, but almost to a man they played so much better.

. Edited by singe

By way of comparison, this is what we had at roughly the same point last year:

Joel Coleman (2016)

Connor Brown (2017)
Timothée Dieng (2016 plus option)
George Edmundson (2016)
Joseph Mills (2016 plus option)
Jack Truelove (2016)
Brian Wilson (2016)
James Wilson (2016)

Danny Byrnes (youth player, offered contract)
Lee Croft (2016 plus option)
Mike Jones (2016)
Liam Kelly (2017)
Jack Tuohy (youth player, offered contract)
Carl Winchester (2017)

Jordan Bove (2016)
Jonathan Forte (2016)
Devante Jacobs (youth player, offered contract)
Rhys Murphy (2017)
Danny Philliskirk (2016 plus option)
Dominic Poleon (2016)
Rhys Turner (2016)

A bit concerning really. We had pretty much a full team then.

Winchester signs 1 year deal

Good news, our 5-a-side team now has a sub!

Seriously though, I'm happy he's got another year but, while I don't think he was managed well last year, I'm inclined to agree with Stevie J on another thread that the Euros should have been a bigger motivator for him than it seems to have been. He's shown some glimpses of talent but needs to show it regularly to get a further deal.

• 2 weeks later...