The referee thread 2016/17

No one is saying he was to be blame, but it would be nice to see a half-competent refereeing performance every now and again....

I would not disagree but the point I am making is that hiding behind refereeing decisions as some do on here can be self delusion ...and the only person it deludes is ourself. There are significant strengths in the side but chronic weaknesses are now emerging and must be addressed. In particular we are beginning to become over reliant on physicality

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a referee's assessor at every game.

Dont know whether its corect or not,but I was told the assesor went into the referees dressing room at half time to point out he wasn't penalising shirt pulling. Maybe explains their pen.

I thought assessors couldn't intevene during a game so I assume its not true.

I think we can accept we are going to get beat but the last two weeks seem totally unjust, refs at the moment are coming across as if they don't have a clue and if your gonna give penalties that we've conceded in the last two games fair enough just make sure you punish every similar discretion the same, they are picking and choosing when to enforce these new rules and it's totally unfair.

Dont know whether its corect or not,but I was told the assesor went into the referees dressing room at half time to point out he wasn't penalising shirt pulling. Maybe explains their pen.

I thought assessors couldn't intevene during a game so I assume its not true.

How many corners did we have? They had hold of at least one of our players shirts every single time and he ignored it every single time....

Mike dean would have had a field day today

I would not disagree but the point I am making is that hiding behind refereeing decisions as some do on here can be self delusion ...and the only person it deludes is ourself. There are significant strengths in the side but chronic weaknesses are now emerging and must be addressed. In particular we are beginning to become over reliant on physicality

Two weeks running we've been denied a penalty at 1-0 up. I really think you're underplaying the difference having a 2 goal lead has on a team.

Appalling refereeing against Shrewsbury today. I don't like to hide behind bad decisions for the result but you simply can't discount them today. Inconsistent with the penalties and fooled far too easily by diving and time wasting. No where near good enough for the football league.

Appalling refereeing against Shrewsbury today. I don't like to hide behind bad decisions for the result but you simply can't discount them today. Inconsistent with the penalties and fooled far too easily by diving and time wasting. No where near good enough for the football league.

Our midfield player collects 2 stupid yellow cards, our left back rips the shirt off an attacker, our manager picks a team that is going to be outnumbered in midfield, we pump the ball aimlessly into the box, we get pulled apart to the extent that the third goal scorer received the ball as the widest player but level with the post......yes I agree the ref was to blame

Trolling is supposed to be subtle.

Apart from getting the major decisions wrong he was as weak as piss. After their right back went to the sidelines after treatment the :censored: with a whistle clearly told him to wait at the touchline. The player ran straight on and he did nowt. Absolute disgrace, with a straight ref we would have pissed Shrewsbury.

What makes this worse is the fact he gave them a soft penalty. Do the referees association review these decisions?

So he could be moved lower down the ladder or re-training.

Why should lower leagues put up with sh*te.

These refs should be taken off the rotata and retrained then pass a competence test

before being allowed back.

If I drive on the road as bad as they ref I would be banned!!

Guest nonaenever

I thought we were okay for the first 35 mins - and when we went down to ten men. In between though; where was the fight in the players - and any nouse? There wasn't any. Nobody, however, can deny that the referee was shocking. Should never referee another professional game in my opinion - some of the stuff he missed became almost comical. How is that not a penalty to us when their defender pulls our player down ?!

Games are so tight in professional football that in many cases referees are at the fulcrum. Their decisions increasingly influence the stalemate.

In those circumstances they need to get it right. I was away today so didn't get to the match, but I get the situation. Last week at Bradford the ref was a homer

and has proved himself to be such in previous games. If the game is getting too fast for these part-timers then we need to start using technology more.

I would rather wait for a correct decision than put up with the inconsistent incompetence that we are witnessing. The remedy isn't just to suspend refs, the replacements aren't an improvement.

Corner infringements,penalty decisions,sending offs etc. all need to be countersigned by a video ref, the delay is a price worth paying.

Guest nonaenever

Hear what you are saying but, believe me, today just a pair of eyes would have helped - it really was that poor a refereeing display. Someone needs to research this fella - was he the victim of a mugging in Oldham in previous years or anything? The most biased referee ever witnessed - made the fella at Bradford look competent!

Guest nonaenever

really? You surprise me - yes the Bradford ref missed a clear penalty for us but the one today did too - as well as getting about another dozen decisions completely wrong

really? You surprise me - yes the Bradford ref missed a clear penalty for us but the one today did too - as well as getting about another dozen decisions completely wrong

Last weeks ref was far worse than todays. But overall the standard of refereeing is poor at this level. It annoys me that professional football gets amateur referees.

I dont mind my team getting beat, but refs constantly getting decisions wrong ruin the game as a spectacle.

When was the last time somebody on this forum said that refereeing errors went in our favour? As far as I can see nobody has mentioned Erwin missing with his header in the first half from 6 yards, nobody has criticised Dunne for his foul, nobody has crticised Fane for a stupid foul and red card .....but everybody wants a piece of the ref.

When was the last time somebody on this forum said that refereeing errors went in our favour? As far as I can see nobody has mentioned Erwin missing with his header in the first half from 6 yards, nobody has criticised Dunne for his foul, nobody has crticised Fane for a stupid foul and red card .....but everybody wants a piece of the ref.

Actually in the Oldham v Shrewsbury thread, a fair few have bemoaned a number of players, fane for one was stupid, i do think he should have been subbed to be fair though, i said 5 mins before that he'd lost the plot and was a walking red card. I try not to slate the refs too much but he was a big factor in todays game and is rightly getting some stick. Seen a few people say we would have won with a decent ref, we'll never know but our performance wasn't good so in my opinion we wouldn't have won, even with a competent ref we'd still have had 10 men as the red card was one of the only things he got right.

ffs give it a break, I think you want a bigger kick than the ref got today from winding up the Oldham fans today

Fane was running on fumes and due to be replaced by Banks. His sending off put Banks' introduction back 10 minutes while the management team re-assessed the situation.

The Dunne foul was disappointing in light of the new refereeing rules which have clamped down on holding and shirt-pulling in the area. It's a positive rule change but last season he probably would have got away with it. We'll profit before too long.

Erwin's header, while 8 yards out, was not straightforward. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't played the game before.

I'm yet to see a game go in our favour due to the referee. It will most likely happen a few times before the season is out.