Scoreboard

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

I prefer the boards... I much prefer them actually.  The scoreboard was contentious re placing, size and cost.

But it I would urge all fans to ask for a refund regardless of their opinion on the boards. These  kinds of things are not for fans to fund. 

Especially when it appears the club may very well not own said boards.

24 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Especially when it appears the club may very well not own said boards.

I assume this is one of the things the Trust are looking for clarity on.

It could well be that the company SC has set up will be used solely for acting as a UK agent for selling Ledman's boards to other clubs, and we shouldn't assume otherwise.

But if that company does own the boards, there's absolutely no way the scoreboard fund should have been used to fund them, with or without the offer of refunds.

This is unbelievable. Hand the money to trust you absolute cretins. It's fans money for a scoreboard which you haven't provided... give us the whole amount back and the fans will decide what we do to with it. 

This is beyond scandalous how they're giving a timescale to get your refund... if they haven't used any of the money then hand it all back you lying bastards.

Im not one to get overly pissed off at the club and it seems silly to get wound up over this but how can anyone at the club think this is reasonable in the slightest?!?!

Stinks.

Agree with the above - I have handed my £75 back to the club and have effectively written it off for use by the club. The club should just hand the funds to the trust to decide what to do with it, ultimately for the benefit of the club AND  the supporters. I am happy for the trust to make representations for the funds to be passed to them which hasn't been refunded. 

We should NOT have to cart up to BP and shuffle about at the ticket office window, slightly embarrassed asking for a refund.

Crowdfunding is most likely governed by charitable trust law and will have the Charity Commission able to act in a regulatory capacity even for non-charitable efforts.

This exercise would be covered by "failure to reach a target".  Having just sat in a car with a solicitor and an accountant they were absolutely certain that the ridiculously narrow time window is challengable in law.  Or a "complete load of bollocks" to use an actual quote.

The belief that this £20k+ pot of money actually exists in a ring fenced way is a nonsense.  The club is skint.  The money is long gone on day to day running expenses.  Any repayments will be out of other money such as Bolton ticket sales etc.

The future success of Oldham Athletic crowdfunding initiatives has been undermined to a point where there's no point even suggesting it.  A significant source of potential future income has been cut off.  Those who refused to donate because they didn't trust the outcome after a previous Latics fundraising disaster have rather had their point made again.

I'm willing to accept that there has been no criminal intent on behalf of anybody associated with the football club.  But anybody who doesn't reclaim their cash is doing so on the clear understanding that it's being used for bog standard day to day running costs of the football club and nothing else.

As for the advertising hoardings ... if Corney's charged his flights to China to Oldham Athletic and used his time there to set up his own personal income stream then that stinks even more that the failure to organise a scoreboard and the failure to automatically refund every crowdfunding donation made for it.

This latest PR fiasco by the club is unbelievable, truely shocking. I understand SC may well be under serious finiacial pressure which would lead to poor heavy handed decisions and reduced patience for friendly communication but this action is  contemptible.

Guest davidshaw

Just read the statement twice. It's not the best piece ever written for sure and the timeframe for "refunds" is ludicrous (what happens if someone who wants a refund happens to work on a Wednesday to Friday?!).

Legally, they cannot simply hand the monies over to "the Trust" as has been suggested - because there will have been contributors who are not Trust members. So, the club's general intent is probably correct but, boy, do they need to find someone that can draft and communicate things in an appropriate manner.

3 minutes ago, davidshaw said:

Just read the statement twice. It's not the best piece ever written for sure and the timeframe for "refunds" is ludicrous (what happens if someone who wants a refund happens to work on a Wednesday to Friday?!).

Legally, they cannot simply hand the monies over to "the Trust" as has been suggested - because there will have been contributors who are not Trust members. So, the club's general intent is probably correct but, boy, do they need to find someone that can draft and communicate things in an appropriate manner.

Agreed. It's piss poor communication but lets not get hysterical. 

Hand the money to the Trust to be used other fan initiatives. As far as I understand the Trust would have owed the scoreboard and are left with nothing. I bet these advertising boards are on lease.

The club should pay for the Frizzell stand stuff anyway, they suggested it!

I've taken a while to think about this, and my thoughts are purely my own  (they always are on here, but just in case).

I don't actually think it's a bad statement from the club given where they started from. They know they've contradicted themselves previously and are trying to find a way out with the least damage.

Offer to refund - good

Time limit to refund - offensive.

Suggestion that fans response to the fences affected outcome - hilarious 

What it doesn't talk about is shocking.  People donated for a Trust owned screen that would give most of the revenue back to the club. The Club haven't been especially keen to talk about what share the Trust will take from the fences.

We have no idea who owns the fences. The club? Mr Corney? His new firm? It's clearly the aim of the club to hold onto the lion's share of the funds. Did people give their money for a private venture between Mr Corney and the supplier?

Re: above, when Latics are fighting to keep the wolf from the door have we been paying for the China trips for private gain?

We await confirmation that the scoreboard money has been kept safely to one side, but regardless I believe it is an utter disgrace if the club doesn't release the entire balance after refunds are taken to the Trust. I will bite my tongue about us maybe using the money to spend on things that the club might have paid for out of a sense of general decency and obligation, but if we have to pay for it ourselves maybe we should just get it done.

29 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

Hand the money to the Trust to be used other fan initiatives. As far as I understand the Trust would have owed the scoreboard and are left with nothing. I bet these advertising boards are on lease.

The club should pay for the Frizzell stand stuff anyway, they suggested it!

It's been suggested since that the trust pay for it. I'm sensing not a lot of pennies at our club lately...heheh

Edited by underdog

Reflects badly on the club and Corney. Treat the Trust and fans as a milking cow at your peril. Once you turn fans against you it's an uphill struggle sweet-talking them back.

Edited by Crusoe

On top of what I said earlier... why the f*** do I have to go stand outside the ticket office to ask for my money back? I didn't even contribute that much, but i most defintielt want it back now they've not put it to its intended use. 

As for them apparently not spending it, that's bollocks aswell. They've spent every penny of it. 

They should directly refund without any single fan needing to go to any amount of effort. 

11 hours ago, opinions4u said:

Those who refused to donate because they didn't trust the outcome after a previous Latics fundraising disaster have rather had their point made again..

I've crowdfunded projects in the past but decided to stay well clear of this one for two main reasons:

1. The target was unrealistic.

2. I didn't trust the club with my money.

I like the advertising boards and it's handy that they double up as mini scoreboards but it's not what the club asked the public to raise money for.

Something wasn't right the minute the club announced they'd been successful at raising the funds despite being thousands of pounds off the target.

And I agree with the sentiments about how the refund has been offered. Dodgy fuckers.

Just another idea but why don't we put pressure on Corney to spend some money sprucing up the other stands a little?

I'm not too bothered that we have this perimeter boards instead of a scoreboard. What I am bothered about, however, is that we raised a lot of money for something that the CLUB would own. What he's now gone and done is purchase something with OUR money and put it in the name of one of his many dodgy little side companies.

So yet again what do we get out of this? The way I see it, all the money from it will be going in his pocket not ours, when at the end of the day, businesses are sponsoring the club, not him. I want clarification from the club that 100% of the money will be going into the club. Even 1% less than that is fucking criminal.

Back to my original point - give the other stands a lick of paint. At the very least power wash the plastic side boards for fuck sake! Get some new 3D lettering on the front of the main stand and get rid of the old fashioned small ones.

Really won't cost much at all. After all, you have over £20k of our money.

6 hours ago, MAC0AFC said:

On top of what I said earlier... why the f*** do I have to go stand outside the ticket office to ask for my money back? I didn't even contribute that much, but i most defintielt want it back now they've not put it to its intended use. 

As for them apparently not spending it, that's bollocks aswell. They've spent every penny of it. 

They should directly refund without any single fan needing to go to any amount of effort. 

This. The gall they had to put out that statement and then give TWO days to pick up their money.

It's fucking despicable.

9 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Reflects badly on club and Corney. Treat the Trust and fans as a milking cow at your peril. Once you turn fans against you it's an uphill struggle sweet talking them back.

Makes you wonder why the response to the initial appeal was piss poor. 

For those of you who came out slating the Trust in the aftermath in defence of Corney it's bellend's like you who give this guy belief that he can behave and treat people/fans/paying customers how he wants with no repercussions, he's obviously surrounded himself with sycophants at the club but the ignorance of Corney and those around him is at times quite astounding as is the absurd way they go about dealing with problems.

It's a bloody mess isn't it...something that could quite easily been a good bit of news with some honesty over the scoreboard is now a right divide.

my heads whirling with it all.

Minimum I expect the club to ring fence for something else with either consulting fans or giving to the trust to hold if that's what the consensus is....is the previous scoreboard monies that was held by the club and thanks to fans who brought this to the trust attention to get into the current pot. Think it was about £1.5K?