Scoreboard

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

The club have been asked to post this open letter from a supporter on the official website.

I, along with my wife, have been a fan of Oldham Athletic for over… we used to travel a great distance every week to watch our team play but we have now, fortunately, moved back north, much closer to Oldham. 

When the club started their campaign to raise money for the scoreboard, we were delighted and as always, wanting the best for our club. We donated approximately a third of the total funds raised. We did this quietly and anonymously as that is the way we like to do things

With the recent arrival of the perimeter boards, which more than satisfy our demands, we were called up by the club and asked how we wanted to arrange the transfer of our money back to us.

Without any hesitation, both my wife and I stated that we absolutely have no intention of wanting our money back and we would be delighted for the club to put this towards the perimeter boards or indeed any other cause that helps the club out. 

It saddens me to see so much negative talk regarding our club from our own fans, not just about the scoreboard but in truth anything and especially from people who should know better. 

Yes, I am not always happy with the decisions the club makes and yes they make mistakes but does any real fan seriously believe that the owner and boards intentions are anything but good. 

I would love nothing more than to see unity amongst us, the fans, because the only way any club can survive and go forward is if we stick together. 

Wishing everyone fellow fan all the best. 

Anonymous. 

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/open-letter-from-supporter-regarding-scoreboard-fund-3686134.aspx#6QOKcUxTwqZJOCKt.99

That's fucking embarrassing.  Is that guy from Chesterfield still knocking about after all?

When I commented the other day that there are things the club could do( which don't cost a penny) to improve their business...this is the exact opposite of what I meant.

As people have said already even if this was genuine wtf are they achieving by posting it online?!? It just reeks of bitterness and absolutely piss poor PR. 

Edited by Blue_Guru

5 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

It'd be really handy if they hired someone in the office to say "are we really sure this is a good idea" everytime Corney bowls in with another cracker. 

Moisley prints on this one, too touchy feely for Corney.

Unlike some of you I don't doubt it's real and that this couple do exist - and good on them for their generosity....

It makes you wonder how many other fans there are out there who might chuck a bit of money in if they had any faith in it being used well and that they weren't just throwing good money after bad...

Is there a way the Trust could make any potential new owners aware that this might be the case? 

5 hours ago, underdog said:

In my case, I had already contacted the CEO and suggested a credit off a season ticket instead and they have honoured that without any proof from me I have to say.

my personal donation was the kickback from the season ticket refund from last year and I remember going to the club to arrange this and signing a OAFC form to say I was giving x amount to the scoreboard fund. I am presuming the club minimum should have this info logged/the paper work

with regards to Tifosy and if you paying them , then I presume they will have evidence of your payment too, but I would try and dig something out to say how much you have donated, otherwise it's going to be bloody difficult for the club to know who paid what and a free for all. Don't know if there were any cash donations at the Tifosy launch at all.

Hope you get your cash back

The trust will actively push for any non-claimed monies be transferred to the trust for safe keeping and you the fans can decide what to do with it.  In my opinion, minimum, it should be the previous scoreboard collection of about £1,200.00

I haven't asked for my money back I donated at launch but like your say. It was a small amount think it was cash but may have been a debit a payment.

I honestly cannot remember.

I wonder how much have Tifosy 

made out this? Mentioned at the original meeting they where approached at the Soccerex convention.

Sure there services won't of been for free.

Then again this whole saga is making Lee Collect whole what happened to the Sponsored Dogs money look squeaky Clean.

The owners need to build that trust from fans again (but I don't think they care about that because that's a long term plan). These sorts of PR stunts don't win over fans that have fallen out with the club  it comes across as pointing fingers. There is a clear lack of understanding in the club on how to connect with the lost fans and it clearly comes down to the fact that they don't think they have any responsibility for the club being where it is today. (They will argue the club would be worse than itbis today without their intervention). But woe is me won't work for a business owner that came in promising the world and now is scraping the barrel every year to keep us in this league. 

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, there are fans who would be inclined to send this in. We will never know for sure, I just really hope this wasn't made up, please don't let it be written by someone at the club. Oh God, someone at the club wrote this didn't they? 

Seriously though, if this couple exist good on them, and congratulations on being able to afford so much. However, do not try to guilt trip other fans out of getting a refund they are entitled to, do not try and make fans feel unloyal for being annoyed the way the club has handled it, and stop with the holier than thou attitude. 

We all love the club, we just all think differently, and yes the club could have been smarter about this. It was only going to get fans' backs up, and alienate those who just want answers, At the end of the day, the club are receiving public criticism on a message-board and Twitter, certain people need a thicker skin. 

As I didn't donate I don't really have a dog in this fight but, given this is fan money, it is clearly only morally (and possibly legally) right that the club confirms whether the Football Club owns the boards or another organisation.

And at the same time they must confirm whether the Trust will benefit from the revenue as was suggested as part of the fundraising campaign. 

And well done to the Trust for shining some light on a very dark situation. Brilliant work, keep it up.

If someone wants to donate thousands of pounds to the club, and doesn't want it back, then fair enough for them.

If someone donated much less money, and wants it back, fair enough for them too.

Voicing wanting money back, or dissatisfaction about how the club has handled the money, isn't some sort of war between the fans - it's just what happens.

I think it's a little bit high moral ground calling for the fans to be united - expecting all of us to have the same opinions would probably require a Kim Jong-Un takeover.

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Those trying their best to discredit the Trust have gone awfully quiet. Be interesting to hear their opinions.

Don't get the relevance? Sorry, but what does this have to do with the behaviour of trust member on here?

Who is discrediting the actual Trust?  when?

Didn't see you commenting in this way regarding mowergate.  At least be consistent.

I have, for years, been sympathetic with the financial issues running a lower league football club brings.

Much as "investment" is needed if an owner can't afford to or doesn't wish to thrown money in then the next best thing they can do is run a break even business.

With the help of player sales and cup runs this has been possible.  Corney appears to have delivered this until Lee Johnson jumped ship and shit cheap managers kept getting appointed.

As the projected income streams from the North Stand failed to meet expectations things seem to have got away from him.  Financial issues of many types being flagged up, not least the winding up orders.

The whole "scoreboard fund" thing is a disaster.  Nobody with any sense will ever support a crowdfunding campaign by the club while Corney remains.

And if that rather unconvincing letter is fake then somebody is behaving in a manner that is sickening to the extreme.

I'm becoming more certain by the day that there are big icebergs ahead and despite the Trust offering a pair of binoculars nobody on the bridge is bothering to use them.

1 minute ago, opinions4u said:

I have, for years, been sympathetic with the financial issues running a lower league football club brings.

Much as "investment" is needed if an owner can't afford to or doesn't wish to thrown money in then the next best thing they can do is run a break even business.

With the help of player sales and cup runs this has been possible.  Corney appears to have delivered this until Lee Johnson jumped ship and shit cheap managers kept getting appointed.

As the projected income streams from the North Stand failed to meet expectations things seem to have got away from him.  Financial issues of many types being flagged up, not least the winding up orders.

The whole "scoreboard fund" thing is a disaster.  Nobody with any sense will ever support a crowdfunding campaign by the club while Corney remains.

And if that rather unconvincing letter is fake then somebody is behaving in a manner that is sickening to the extreme.

I'm becoming more certain by the day that there are big icebergs ahead and despite the Trust offering a pair of binoculars nobody on the bridge is bothering to use them.

Except both Dickov & Lee Johnson also fall into the Catogary of cheap managers also. Dickov having contacts & LJ being able to sell himself.