Scoreboard

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gripe wasn't whether the letter was genuine or not it was the fact the club were using it publicly, they had absolutely nothing to gain from it...so they post another! A professional club getting fans involved to have petty squabbles...stop fighting against the haters and try and win them over for once or just keep ignoring them! 

An open letter; from OWTB.co.uk to Paul and Jeni.

Deal Paul and Jeni,

From everyone who runs OWTB.co.uk and those I have unilaterally chosen to speak for; not one person on this site, to my knowledge, from the posts within this thread, wishes to (nor attempted to) discredit you. Your ability to donate such a massive sum, £23,000!, to the club is beyond commendable. It's astonishing. Your generosity is beyond reproach, and we're all grateful to you for that. 

I apologise that our club, in its infinite lack of wisdom, has chosen to expose you to everyone. To name you. To locate you. That is an absolute disgrace, and you deserve better from a club you evidently love, from a club you financially invested in. To a club you stand up for, despite their evident lack of judgement. You deserve so much better. 

So once again; thank you for the generosity you've shown not only to Oldham Athletic, but to all of us as fellow fans. 

I hope that you find comfort in knowing its appreciated - even if many of us remain cynical as to the behaviour of the club in this regard.

Have a lovely weekend ahead - here's to three points!

Ackey

OWTB.co.uk

1 minute ago, LaticsLen said:

Will the owtb mob mock them to their faces or stick to this thread? Bullies.

I've checked the thread carefully - I see no bullying behaviour. If you do - please use the 'Report post' button at the top of that post to inform the Mod team. We investigate every report and act when appropriate.

10 minutes ago, LaticsLen said:

Will the owtb mob mock them to their faces or stick to this thread? Bullies.

:hooked:

Nobody has done. Club's got you. In fact, think most would commend them for their contribution.

Edited by NewBlue

1 hour ago, underdog said:

Is this because it's being discussed on here? Wow the club are listening....

It's always amazed me how much the club seems to get wound up by what's posted on here.

I hold my hands up for cynicism and doubting the authenticity of this letter.  I think this whole sorry episode has highlighted the huge level of discord and distrust between the club and fans and between fans themselves.

I fail to see what has been gained by publishing these letters. Particularly as the couple had originally claimed that they wished to remain anonymous.  Why not keep it that way? 

25 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

I hold my hands up for cynicism and doubting the authenticity of this letter.  I think this whole sorry episode has highlighted the huge level of discord and distrust between the club and fans and between fans themselves.

I fail to see what has been gained by publishing these letters. Particularly as the couple had originally claimed that they wished to remain anonymous.  Why not keep it that way? 

Nail on the head.

It's quite a (perversely) impressive feat that the club can so consistently contrive to come up with episodes like this season in, season out...

Is there not some way we can harness such a powerful phenomenon and use it to run the club better, get more money & more fans coming in and win more football matches?

I make absolutely zero apologies for my utter distrust of the club. And lettergate is now yet another brilliant piece of shit-deflecting the club has tried to roll out. So the letter is real. Fab! Detracts nothing from my original point...it's great that they've supported for 50yrs...and they've stuck in a 1/3 of the fund etc. Good on them for being so kind and gracious (and I do genuinely mean that) but it makes absolutely zero difference to the shit-trick the club have pulled over this. Sadly they really don't get it in BP Towers! Time and time again ?

Edited by boundaryblue80

Just because the donors exist doesn't mean it wasn't written or edited by the club, as indicated by the earlier [insert blank] section for how long they supported the club. 

The club has done wrong here and it looks to me an attempt to try and guilt people into not asking for their money back.

The whole situation is a scandal and the attempts by the club to extricate themselves are embarrassing. 

Any further detail on the ownership of these boards and any revenue generated from them?

As per usual deflection tactics are being used to take the focus away from the real issues and the grievances most fans have with the whole debacle.

50 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Just because the donors exist doesn't mean it wasn't written or edited by the club, as indicated by the earlier [insert blank] section for how long they supported the club. 

The club has done wrong here and it looks to me an attempt to try and guilt people into not asking for their money back.

The whole situation is a scandal and the attempts by the club to extricate themselves are embarrassing. 

I thought exactly the same.  The couple are clearly loyal fans who are willing and able to donate a significant amount of money to such causes.  However, it's not any fan's business to criticise other fans for their distaste at how the scoreboard initiative has been handled.  Even if the letter had been sent to the club completely out of the blue, the relevant people at the club should have had the common sense to realise that it would be ill-advised to publish it.  I very strongly suspect though that the club took the initiative on this and exploited the loyalty of this couple to have a pop at other fans and try to deter them from seeking the refunds they are entitled to.

On the one hand the whole scoreboard fund soap opera has been scandalous but, at the same time, it's absolutely fucking comedic.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

It's quite a (perversely) impressive feat that the club can so consistently contrive to come up with episodes like this season in, season out...

Is there not some way we can harness such a powerful phenomenon and use it to run the club better, get more money & more fans coming in and win more football matches?

Exactly.  What a waste of time and energy this sort on nonsense is.

I'm going to be really naive for a minute. I wonder, did the couple actually ask for their letters to be posted on the fishal? Everyone, or most anyway, seem to have decided that the club published without their consent.

As they have stated where they will be sitting on Saturday, why not ask them? That way, you'll know whether or not they asked for publication or if they're pissed off that it appeared without their knowledge. It is that too simple? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm neither criticising nor praising either party; I just thought it might be an idea to find out the truth.

Is that naive?

Edited by Bristolatic