• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I don't get booing your own players too

It seems to be one of those things that people have picked up on after hearing it on tv and/or social media

Imho real fans would not boo their own players during a game, and personally I would not boo at the end either, though I can understand why some people like to demonstrate their feelings in that way

I'm in my early 50's, maybe it's a generation thing?

Not sure about that. I'm in my thirties and ever since I've starting watching Latics in the mid-80s there have been older fans in the stands making it as clear as they could that they thought particular players were :censored:, sometimes after the relevant player's first touch of the ball and sometimes because they couldn't read the pass they thought had gone amiss before realising it was a well executed ball to a different player!

I'd never boo a Latics player, although I do often mutter under my breath what I think of their performance. Notwithstanding the above, I would not have been averse to booing Ched had he ended up in a Latics shirt but I'd never have been there to watch him so wouldn't have had the opportunity.

Yay a player that has done absolutely :censored: all in 3 different spells has re-signed!

There to make up numbers...

Maybe for two of them, but that first spell he was exceptional. I vaguely recollect, that if you expand the results from when he was here we were borderline automatic, but expand the time he wasn't here we would have been bottom.

The other spells I think the pies had taken over his youthful exuberance.

It seems to be one of those things that people have picked up on after hearing it on tv and/or social media

Imho real fans would not boo their own players during a game, and personally I would not boo at the end either, though I can understand why some people like to demonstrate their feelings in that way

I watched that World Cup 1966 documentary commemorating 50yrs on record last night. Was amazed by how many pre-conceptions there are about the modern game that was actually complete nonsense. The booing after England drew 0-0 vs Uruguay was incredible. I used to think the booing culture was a new thing but now I think it's just short memories. Other misconceptions were things like WAGS being a new thing where the players wives were being interviewed on tv before games (they couldn't get enough of Bobby Moores missus) and that the media bloodthirst for the side when they were poor. A lot of the things we see in the game today existed back then albeit maybe not on the scale we see it now. Mainly because there's a TV in every room of the house whereas back then TV's were very few and far between. But a lot of similarities between then and now do exist.

Anyway, back to Croft. Wage-stealer.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I watched that World Cup 1966 documentary last night on record. Was amazed by how many pre-conceptions there are about the modern game that was actually complete nonsense. The booing after England drew 0-0 vs Uruguay was incredible. I used to think the booing culture was a new thing but now I think it's just short memories. Other misconceptions were things like WAGS being a new thing where the players wives were being interviewed on tv before games (the couldn't get enough of Bobby Moores missus) and that the media bloodthirst for the side when they were poor. A lot of the things we see in the game today existed back then albeit maybe not on the scale we see it now. But it was there.

The wags where interviewed but untill 2006 never glamorised or used to sell papers or treated as importantly as the players.

The wags where interviewed but untill 2006 never glamorised or used to sell papers or treated as importantly as the players.

True. In some ways, they seemed more self-conscious and almost timid. Apart from Moores missus who was very aware of her role as the good looking other half to Bobby.

No, sadly not. Remember the abuse given to Ron Futcher? He was slow, but talented. We've had boo boys for a long, long time.

I watched that World Cup 1966 documentary commemorating 50yrs on record last night. Was amazed by how many pre-conceptions there are about the modern game that was actually complete nonsense. The booing after England drew 0-0 vs Uruguay was incredible. I used to think the booing culture was a new thing but now I think it's just short memories. Other misconceptions were things like WAGS being a new thing where the players wives were being interviewed on tv before games (they couldn't get enough of Bobby Moores missus) and that the media bloodthirst for the side when they were poor. A lot of the things we see in the game today existed back then albeit maybe not on the scale we see it now. Mainly because there's a TV in every room of the house whereas back then TV's were very few and far between. But a lot of similarities between then and now do exist.

Croft earned his wage tonight, he was excellent.

He played well when he can on, couple of good early crosses as well which has been missing from his game for years.

A 6 month contract could be the master stroke to get the best from him. Keep him keen. He knows he needs to be pushing for starts to start and with 3 right sided players who can play wing of full back nothing is guaranteed.

Signs 6 month contract extension with option to extend to end of season.

Bugger...just realised I now owe the playershare pledge £30, a fiver a month for every contract month..damn you crofty, damn you....hahah.

Edited by underdog

Good job it wasn't for 2 years + option.

Weren't it bloody just...heheh..oohphs, made the bloody pledge when it was a negotiated contract per month, didn't think the bugger would get a 6 month option.

Could be an expensive playershare pledge year for me.

No, sadly not. Remember the abuse given to Ron Futcher? He was slow, but talented. We've had boo boys for a long, long time.

I remember he was not loved by the Oldham fans - but 30 goals in 60+ games shows we were either spoilt or poor judges of talent, but I don't remember any booing.

The best header of the ball in my time as a supporter but yep he was slooooowww

I remember he was not loved by the Oldham fans - but 30 goals in 60+ games shows we were either spoilt or poor judges of talent, but I don't remember any booing.

Not only was he good in the air, but Ron Futcher possessed superb ball control, it was only a lack of pace which kept him from playing at the highest level.

Edited by BP1960

Most of the abuse I remember him getting was because of a lack of effort which was fair apart from being able to do the important bit in the penalty box. Royle lost patience with him after getting sent off twice in quick succession (for punching iirc) and a hat-trick against Bradford's reserves set up the deal to move there (with Ormondroyd heading our way which at least made us crave for Cecere to find some form).