Robinson on Radio Manchester Tonight

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was out with a former teammate of Winchesters the other night no names and he said he just can't be arsed with being a footballer he doesn't have the desire, I know he's a quite lad and maybe he doesn't like the pressure of being a pro, such a shame because he has bags of talent

so he needs motiviating then maybe this is what he means by knucklingdown ?

He says we don't stick a quick forward on the halfway line at corners as it has no effect on the opposition whereas having one less man back would affect us....

We have conceded goals through this tactic, I think it's bonkers, but SC said other teams do it so I guess that makes it ok.

Obviously the thought is that excluding their keeper, 2 on halfway line and corner taker that leaves them 7 players to attack the ball where we have 11 to defend. The thinking is obviously that we should be way more likely to take control of the ball than opposition and it's easier to come away with ball as a team rather than hoping one guy can hold ball up on halfway line while everyone catches up

We have conceded goals through this tactic, I think it's bonkers, but SC said other teams do it so I guess that makes it ok.

How does having a extra defender cause us to concede goals. Feel free to reply unless you can't see this as I'm blocked! :)

Edited by palmer1

Anybody have an examples of when leaving a man on the half way line at a corner actually gave us an attacking advantage? Anything at all? Examples from elsewhere in recent years?

I heard the first half of the show which included this discussion.

SR said that they leave 2 back even if we dont leave anyone upfield.

He then said that if we leave 1 upfield they still leave 2 back who win the ball from our 1 but we then have 1 less defender.

He said that the only time it really becomes different is if we leave 3 up who can all win headers but didnt elaborate further.

I think that he might be correct on the first 2 points but it worries me in his 3rd point that he only discussed winning headers.

Does he mean that if we defend a corner and come away with the ball then we will simply hoof it.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

I heard the first half of the show which included this discussion.

SR said that they leave 2 back even if we dont leave anyone upfield.

He then said that if we leave 1 upfield they still leave 2 back who win the ball from our 1 but we then have 1 less defender.

He said that the only time it really becomes different is if we leave 3 up who can all win headers but didnt elaborate further.

I think that he might be correct on the first 2 points but it worries me in his 3rd point that he only discussed winning headers.

Does he mean that if we defend a corner and come away with the ball then we will simply hoof it.

Would have to listen again to be sure but I think he was talking about needing 3 or 4 really good headers of the ball in defence to make up for lower numbers back defending. Edited by nzlatic