Post Match Verdict

For the last two weeks, I've been writing a post-match verdict of our home games with the help of an opposition fan. I've had a good response so far, so I'm planning to continue the feature for each home game, and I'll post them here each week too.

My report of the Swindon defeat can be found here: https://joeoafc.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/oldham-0-2-swindon-the-post-match-verdict/

Yesterday's MK Dons report can be found here: https://joeoafc.wordpress.com/2016/10/02/oldham-0-2-mk-dons-the-post-match-verdict/

Hopefully I can start writing about something other than a lacklustre 0-2 defeat soon, otherwise the reports will become quite similar and depressing!

Feedback welcomed, especially any ways I can improve!

Edited by oafc-latics

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin pretty much nails where our problems lie. Good to get the views of an opposition fan although it's rather telling an opposition fan can clock where our problems lie with just 1 90 minute watch. Our midfield really is poor while the strikers should not escape blame with regards to our problems infront of goal I'm not sure weather Sergio Aguero would score in this team, the passing is slow and often poor and as a result we ne er build up any pressure on teams. With the new regulations regarding loans we are pretty much stuck with this team until January.

Edited by GlossopLatic

'Take care of the ball' is a simple piece of advice.

Yesterday we didn't do that. Passes were either over hit or under hit or as with the (lack of) shots not hit at all.

The ball did not stick when played forward and headers were not won.

As has often been said on here by many, we do not have the talent in the middle of the park to affect the game. Either defensively or going forward.

What was unacceptable though was the way the entire team with the possible exception of Clarke and McLaughlin did not compete.

The pressure on Robinson is increasing - he needs to find a way to get this team playing. Time is running out.

Hello OAFC-LATICS, Trust Oldham have been looking for a match day blogger for stories to go on the trust site.

Would you consider your good work being posted on this site too? It's another media outlet to get your good work out there. No costs involved

Just let me know if you could be interested

Thanks

Hello OAFC-LATICS, Trust Oldham have been looking for a match day blogger for stories to go on the trust site.

Would you consider your good work being posted on this site too? It's another media outlet to get your good work out there. No costs involved

Just let me know if you could be interested

Thanks

I've sent you a PM, but yes I'd be interested.

As has often been said on here by many, we do not have the talent in the middle of the park to affect the game. Either defensively or going forward.

That's just not true.

Green and Fane are fine defensive midfielders who can make the team tick along - the idea that they're defensively talentless (Green played 9 years in the Championship - come on) is baffling when you look at our record so far. You can point to the fact we've conceded a few in recent matches but let's get real, pressure mounts when you're not scoring and it's inevitable that you'll start conceding.

What the midfield does lack is passing range. We are desperate for somebody who can run with the ball and has the vision to deliver a killer passes. Obviously strikers who will put away the few chances we create would also be extremely useful.

That's just not true.

Green and Fane are fine defensive midfielders who can make the team tick along - the idea that they're defensively talentless (Green played 9 years in the Championship - come on) is baffling when you look at our record so far. You can point to the fact we've conceded a few in recent matches but let's get real, pressure mounts when you're not scoring and it's inevitable that you'll start conceding.

What the midfield does lack is passing range. We are desperate for somebody who can run with the ball and has the vision to deliver a killer passes. Obviously strikers who will put away the few chances we create would also be extremely useful.

Green is yes but Fane right now is a work in progress he looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and needs to improve his awareness of what's going on around him he is still learning the game at this level. However what we really need is a wide man who doesn't stay wide but gets in the pockets and finds space to receive the ball and play it forward. In the same way Matty Palmer did when he came in last season.

That's just not true.

I stand by my original post. Fane is raw and ill disciplined with his positional play. Flynn simply does not see the play around him and lacks speed of thought as well as delivery. Green is the best of the three but cannot do it on his own (in the same way that Clarke lacks real defensive support). Both Swindon and MK Dons simply ran through us in the midfield. In turn our response is to lump the ball forward.

No one in the middle with passing range or the ability to run with the ball you say. Sounds like a lack of talent to me.

I think we're set up wrong, if you don't have players who can link up play and see a pass like your Palmers there's little point in playing two three or even four strikers as the ball very rarely reaches them. It pains me to say it but with the players we've got the only way I can see us building anything is with one up front and packing the midfield with a 4-1-4-1 formation. Our keeper and back four isn't the issue so I'd probably play Green as the holding midfielder with a midfield four of McLaughlin Winchester Fane Flynn and a lone striker who'd have to work his tits off, McKay would probably be best equipped to do this but Erwin, Osei and maybe Ladapo could all do a job in there, I know this formation doesn't offer a great amount of width but we don't really have the quality to support wingers anyway.

I think we're set up wrong, if you don't have players who can link up play and see a pass like your Palmers there's little point in playing two three or even four strikers as the ball very rarely reaches them. It pains me to say it but with the players we've got the only way I can see us building anything is with one up front and packing the midfield with a 4-1-4-1 formation. Our keeper and back four isn't the issue so I'd probably play Green as the holding midfielder with a midfield four of McLaughlin Winchester Fane Flynn and a lone striker who'd have to work his tits off, McKay would probably be best equipped to do this but Erwin, Osei and maybe Ladapo could all do a job in there, I know this formation doesn't offer a great amount of width but we don't really have the quality to support wingers anyway.

Agreed. Packing the midfield should make you more creative not negative. See Wigan at home.

What was apparent to me was the lack of discipline in midfield. You cant just chase the ball around and leave huge gaps in midfield. Time and time again on Saturday the opposition had 15 to 20 yards to run at in front of our defence. Attack minded or defensive minded, matters not if all you do is chase the ball and have no shape or discipline. I agree with Yarddog, we need more bodies in midfield.

Edited by kowenicki

I stand by my original post. Fane is raw and ill disciplined with his positional play. Flynn simply does not see the play around him and lacks speed of thought as well as delivery. Green is the best of the three but cannot do it on his own (in the same way that Clarke lacks real defensive support). Both Swindon and MK Dons simply ran through us in the midfield. In turn our response is to lump the ball forward.

No one in the middle with passing range or the ability to run with the ball you say. Sounds like a lack of talent to me.

I am pleased to see you have let the genie out of the bottle. "Lump the ball forward" you are absolutely right . It is however clearly policy rather than ad hoc player response.

You only need to contrast the way in which Ripley is instructed to lump it 80 yards with they way in which the Dons keeper chipped , pinged and threw to a colleague every time. I cannot for the life of me understand why he wants us to press and work so hard to turn over possession and then not respect that possession and kick it away

Gaz, I said the same thing in the pub after the game Saturday. The most creative we have been was against Wigan with Erwin up top with Flynn allowed to float behind him, Klok pressing high up the pitch, and then a strong midfield 3 behind them. Even with 2 wingers on the pitch we were still far too narrow, and the extra man taken from the middle allowed MK to play the ball into the space in between defense and midfield far too simply. The away form doesnt need to alter as by all accounts we have been excellent in the last few away games, but the same tactics cant be used at home as we are too predictable.

Green is yes but Fane right now is a work in progress he looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and needs to improve his awareness of what's going on around him he is still learning the game at this level. However what we really need is a wide man who doesn't stay wide but gets in the pockets and finds space to receive the ball and play it forward. In the same way Matty Palmer did when he came in last season.

Flynn has been played as a winger and it'd be naive to think all our creativity could come from one lad on the flank. Unless you have an amazing forward line you need a player in the middle of the park who can spread the ball. It must be so easy being an opposition centre mid against us at the moment.

BigDog said 'talentless' both in attack and defence - Fane is of course raw but he clearly does possess talent, as does Green. Unfortunately the talent they both possess is in the defensive part of the game. The balance in the side is wrong.

I'd sacrifice a striker - ours are utterly useless at executing the job description - for a midfielder with an eye for a pass. Whether that's Banks or Winchester, or Flynn played centrally, let Green and Fane focus on what they do best.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest Post-Match Verdict can be found here. Let me know what you think.

https://joeoafc.wordpress.com/2016/10/23/oldham-0-2-bristol-rovers-post-match-verdict/

Thought dummigan was shocking to be honest. Always getting skinned off their winger and although he supported the attacks, didn't really create much or look to get a cross in. Shows how fans opinions can differ enormously.

Really hope Wilson starts tomorrow. Need to be a hell of a lot more solid at back if we're to get a positive result.

Edited by we hate man,u and city to

Wilson can't win an header (not good when we are so weak defending set pieces) and we look much more balanced with Dummigan in there, saying that I'd have Edmondson in there a player who is rarely beat to the ball defensively and one who actually thrives off the physical challenge, did well at rightback when he was used there as well.

Wilson can't win an header (not good when we are so weak defending set pieces) and we look much more balanced with Dummigan in there, saying that I'd have Edmondson in there a player who is rarely beat to the ball defensively and one who actually thrives off the physical challenge, did well at rightback when he was used there as well.

Wilson and Dummigan are both streets ahead of Edmundson at present.