The EFL Trophy

Alright guys,

Haven't been here in a while but wrote some *strong* words on why I disagree with the EFL Trophy and would appreciate it if you could give it a read and welcome any feedback you may have.

http://www.thesportbible.com/football/community-the-checkatrade-trophy-is-complete-:censored:e-and-heres-why-20161005

Cheers.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good piece mate.

I don't like agreeing with Karl Robinson but he's bang on here.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37540062

And the situation of Luton being fined despite playing 8 players who were 21 and under is farcical.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37561406

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Good piece mate.

I don't like agreeing with Karl Robinson but he's bang on here.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37540062

And the situation of Luton being fined despite playing 8 players who were 21 and under is farcical.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37561406

Yeah I saw the Robinson quote yesterday I think but anything that's below MK Dons has to have something seriously wrong with it.

Real good Luton's manager has offered to pay the fine himself too.

Good article. The stat about the combined sum of the Leicester shirt numbers being higher than the attendance says it all for me. The fans are not interested. It will have to change next season.

Apparently though, Checkatrade themselves are actually delighted about it because of all the publicity the controvery about the tournament has created for them.

I think it is hilarious that they have claimed that this is about improving the England team by providing a platform for young players in a competitive competition, then they organised the second round of matches for a week where all the young England players are on international duty.

There are so many reasons why their reasoning is a joke, but this sums it up.

The test for us in the next game against Blackburn on how against this we really are. I would be immensely proud of our support if we took as close to zero fans to Ewood as possible.

While I wholeheartedly agree this competition is bollocks, especially with the reasoning of helping the national team, I'll be a scab against Rovers. Not seen Latics play there. Only ever seen the most boring 0-0 in the world between Rovers and West Brom at that ground

While I wholeheartedly agree this competition is bollocks, especially with the reasoning of helping the national team, I'll be a scab against Rovers. Not seen Latics play there. Only ever seen the most boring 0-0 in the world between Rovers and West Brom at that ground

If you want to pay money to support B team football in a competition you yourself say is bollocks then knock yourself out

I do laugh at these excuses people find for going to these games. The Carlisle game, all I heard was "I'm paying to see this new striker" It was as tho Ronaldinho had turned up for one game only! Rather than a kid from Palace who they'd get to see many other times. I want to see us at Wembley but I won't be doing that if its in this bastard of a competition. And if we sort ourselves out, we will most likely have a trip to Ewood Park next season anyway. It should be zero fans at all when we play there this time. But there are plenty who like to bury their heads when football politics is discussed.

Edited by boundaryblue80

People do get worked up about others going to matches

If the nearly 200 who went last night wanted to, fair enough

Personally I'm not going to attend the matches but those that do are not criminally selling out the soul of the game . That's already been done.

At least they are still lending their support to the team - and there are those on here that aren't .

Ps. I and others aren't burying our heads. A different view to you , as on other issues recently, and you paint those holding it as somehow impure.

Edited by LaticsPete

I do laugh at these excuses people find for going to these games. The Carlisle game, all I heard was "I'm paying to see this new striker" It was as tho Ronaldinho had turned up for one game only! Rather than a kid from Palace who they'd get to see many other times. I want to see us at Wembley but I won't be doing that if its in this bastard of a competition. And if we sort ourselves out, we will most likely have a trip to Ewood Park next season anyway. It should be zero fans at all when we play there this time. But there are plenty who like to bury their heads when football politics is discussed.

I went to the Carlisle game so I could take my 7 year old son to only his second game without it costing over 35 quid. He was bored the first game and spent 88 mins looking round at people eating their pies etc. He loved it this time round and now asks when can I come again dad !! Is that a good enough excuse for you Mr I boycotted so am a purist supporter of the finest order ? What does it matter to you what reason people 'justify' to the holier than thou sort. If it gets my little un hooked then we'll worth a fiver in my eyes Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

Some great tweets about this farce:

Reports of an away following of 2 at Chesterfield last night are untrue. We counted at least 6...

And they are personally finding them...

1. Accrington Stanley Retweeted andrew hazeldine

You're in... Any more for any more? We may as well make a list

Accrington Stanley added,

andrew hazeldine @samaxh
    @ASFCofficial does that include me, I was sat on the front row, you can see me when we score the fourth 26bd.png26bd.png26bd.png26bd.png
    0 retweets9 likes
    Retweet
    Hootlet
    More
  2. Accrington Stanley Retweeted Michael Lawless

Conclusive proof. Arrived en masse!

Accrington Stanley added,

Michael Lawless @mick65520088
    @ASFCofficial rhubarb ! There were more than six members of Jordan Clark's family there !
    0 retweets7 likes
    Retweet
    Hootlet
    More

I went to the Carlisle game so I could take my 7 year old son to only his second game without it costing over 35 quid. He was bored the first game and spent 88 mins looking round at people eating their pies etc. He loved it this time round and now asks when can I come again dad !! Is that a good enough excuse for you Mr I boycotted so am a purist supporter of the finest order ? What does it matter to you what reason people 'justify' to the holier than thou sort. If it gets my little un hooked then we'll worth a fiver in my eyes

I remember taking my little one sometime in the 90's to watch us play some Italian team whose name I can't remember in something that may have been called the Anglo Italian cup( it also may not have been) watched five minutes ate her pie, played with her doll. Spent the entire second half wrapped in a blanket. Been to a few games since, mainly glory hunting, but would still call herself a latics fan and managed to find a boyfriend who is one as well. For some of us it's about going watching our team ina game of football. Other people have a different take on it. You have your take and I hope you and your lad enjoy it in the future.

I went to the Carlisle game so I could take my 7 year old son to only his second game without it costing over 35 quid. He was bored the first game and spent 88 mins looking round at people eating their pies etc. He loved it this time round and now asks when can I come again dad !! Is that a good enough excuse for you Mr I boycotted so am a purist supporter of the finest order ? What does it matter to you what reason people 'justify' to the holier than thou sort. If it gets my little un hooked then we'll worth a fiver in my eyes

I get that.

However I think anyone wanting to go to the Blackburn game though is weird.

This is the one game this season that none of us should attend save your time and money for this one their will be plenty of other games to go to.

I get that.

However I think anyone wanting to go to the Blackburn game though is weird.

This is the one game this season that none of us should attend save your time and money for this one their will be plenty of other games to go to.

It's 15 minutes down the road from me. Never watched Latics there. One of my best mates is a Rovers fan so he's going too. Any other justification needed?

People do get worked up about others going to matches

If the nearly 200 who went last night wanted to, fair enough

Personally I'm not going to attend the matches but those that do are not criminally selling out the soul of the game . That's already been done.

At least they are still lending their support to the team - and there are those on here that aren't .

Ps. I and others aren't burying our heads. A different view to you , as on other issues recently, and you paint those holding it as somehow impure.

This. I think it's an abomination of a 'competition' but I haven't and won't be attending. I'd love us to have zero fans at these games, but it won't happen.

Had there been a ground on there I'd not visited, I'd have had to consider it. It's slim pickings these days.

And others will have other reasons for going.

Differing choices, values, opinions, etc, are what make football fans.

A tiny part of me wants to go to Blackburn, I always make a point of going to new grounds, and Ewood park is one I haven't been to. I said when they announced this new format I wouldn't attend any of them, so i'm going to stick to that. Hopefully we can stay in this league and play them next season as they look like they could get relegated this season.

I don't have any problem with anyone who does go, each to their own and all that. Would imagine they'll be less than 100.

A tiny part of me wants to go to Blackburn, I always make a point of going to new grounds, and Ewood park is one I haven't been to. I said when they announced this new format I wouldn't attend any of them, so i'm going to stick to that. Hopefully we can stay in this league and play them next season as they look like they could get relegated this season.

I don't have any problem with anyone who does go, each to their own and all that. Would imagine they'll be less than 100.