The EFL Trophy

Alan Brazil proved what a bell end he is yesterday morning on Talk sport fervently defending the new format saying attendances were marginally down on last season and if two under 23 teams made the final they would fill the place (assuming that was a reference to Wembley) I turned over to another station at that point but I assume the Checkatrade advert came on soon after.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is. So anyone not wanting to miss out on going to Ewood Park can give it a miss after all.

Having said that, a lot of places seem to have it as Ewood but I'm sure I read Blackburn were going to play these Mickey Mouse games at Leigh.

As far as I am aware, the game is at Ewood. The clubs were told they had to play them at home (although I don't think West Ham are).

Are you sure you are not getting this mixed up with the Lancashire Senior Cup game against Blackburn U21 which probably is at Leigh.

I think they only have to play 1 game at their stadium during the whole tournament.

Today's football focus had a total unbiased report on it today....yeah right, all three presenters said it was good for young premiership/championship players to be playing against seasoned pro's in front of BIG crowds.

Yet they never mentioned how little the support has been in terms of crowd numbers, just an interview at a Hartlepool match were one lady voiced her objections saying it was a lower league trophy and only credible chances us lower leagues were to get to wembley instead of two under 23 premiership teams....but they glossed over that

Not going even if we get to Wembley. If they want Premier League youngsters to play against men they should run a reserve league and make it compulsory for all the clubs in PL to join in. It will still mean lots of foreign players rather than English.

Wouldn't chastise anyone for going to these games if they want to.

Personally, I always had a love / hate relationship with the competition.

Felt it was beneath Latics for many years - "we are a club that goes to Wembley in proper matches" - but the grim reality of our situation meant that I softened on this and would have liked to see Latics at the new Wembley, win something, and maybe get the "springboard" effect that some past winners have had.

That said my support was limited to home games, with consdieration to away matches nearer the end of th the competition.

This year I went to th Fleetwood game - the Curry night seemed a fun thing to do - but the new format is appalling.

Will still make the games I can do at home - but feel that perhaps the best thing that can happen is it's contested between the U23 teams ASAP and then perhaps the impact of the fact that this devalues the whole thing means that the format can go back.

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't chastise anyone for going to these games if they want to.

Personally, I always had a love / hate relationship with the competition.

Felt it was beneath Latics for many years - "we are a club that goes to Wembley in proper matches" - but the grim reality of our situation meant that I softened on this and would have liked to see Latics at the new Wembley, win something, and maybe get the "springboard" effect that some past winners have had.

That said my support was limited to home games, with consdieration to away matches nearer the end of th the competition.

This year I went to th Fleetwood game - the Curry night seemed a fun thing to do - but the new format is appalling.

Will still make the games I can do at home - but feel that perhaps the best thing that can happen is it's contested between the U23 teams ASAP and then perhaps the impact of the fact that this devalues the whole thing means that the format can go back.

Even in it's old format I've only ever went to that Northern Final against Chesterfield.

If they return it to it's old format next season I pledge, here and now, to attend the home matches...

Team tonight (I'm guessing 5-4-1/3-4-3 going on natural positions).

Ripley

Law

Wilson

Burgess

Dunne

Reckord

Flynn

Banks

Fane

Jahraldo-Martin

Mckay

I guess Law might line up in midfield. Not fussed about the result but most of them really need a performance to prove their worth.

Team tonight (I'm guessing 5-4-1/3-4-3 going on natural positions).

Ripley

Law

Wilson

Burgess

Dunne

Reckord

Flynn

Banks

Fane

Jahraldo-Martin

Mckay

I guess Law might line up in midfield. Not fussed about the result but most of them really need a performance to prove their worth.

How did you summon the energy to post that?

If you go watching your team in a competitive match against an u23 team whose senior side is in the relegation places of the Championship you want your head checking

A few known Oldham fans who have labelled others Scab or called others for Attending have had a sudden change of heart and gone tonight.

Suppose the fact we can actually progress or a new ground appeals to much to them.