Ground hopping random other teams thread.

Suprised there is no thread on here. Looking on Twitter seems to be. Fair number of fellow Blues into there ground hoping.

So how about a thread talk about which teams you have seen play or grounds they can be at home or abroad.

Myself I went to West Didsbury & Chorlton v Maine Road on Tuesday. Game finished 1-1 good little set up over 500 there.

Next one for me is Llandudnho v Bangor City on New Year's Day.

I always try for new grounds ideally. Although if the weather strikes case of get where you can.

Often try and nip a ground in whilst on holiday. But it can be a bit hitty miss (and German trips sometimes centre around them).

Cracked off Napoli, Inter and Fiorentina in Italy; Barcelona, Espanyol (Montjuic), Real, Atletico, Leganes (when in Division 3); Benfica, Dinamo Zagreb, Colombes (Escape to Victory Stadium (crowd scenes) is next to it). But I do like Germany and have covered a few there. 1860, Bochum, Duisburg, Frankfurt, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Hertha, Hertha Reserves, Cologne, Nuremburg (abandoned at half time), Schalke, Union, Haching, Hamburger Kickers (about division 6) - probably missed a few there. Been to some eastern European grounds but found the Internet not exactly reliable (Riga springs to mind, but there were ones in the Czech Republic and Macedonia where I was at an empty ground).

Locally (to me), I knocked off the Northern League pretty much in a two month blitz (though I have to keep topping it up as teams go up/down/bust).But since moving into the complete outback have struggled to get to teams that aren't West Auckland/Bishop Auckland/ Shildon (Tow Law is far to cold to go to, even for someone trained on Boundary Park).

My brothers stag do (didn't get married) centred around Lewes, and my fortieth took in Whitehawk. Like you do.

Went to a Turkish 3rd Division match last season. Intended to see Fenerbahce play Bestikas but the match got moved for TV so had to settle on a little old club called Kartalspor.

25p (!) to get in. Only 1,000 there but what a racket they made. Really :censored: standard and Kartalspor went on to be relegated to Divison 4. Bit like we've gone on to be this season.

Went to a Turkish 3rd Division match last season. Intended to see Fenerbahce play Bestikas but the match got moved for TV so had to settle on a little old club called Kartalspor.

25p (!) to get in. Only 1,000 there but what a racket they made. Really :censored: standard and Kartalspor went on to be relegated to Divison 4. Bit like we've gone on to be this season.

Remember going to Dynamo Berlin there numbers have dropped and FSV Frankfurt fans all got shoved into one stand against Koln at

Home but both made lots of noise.

Lad I work with goes watching a small Turkish side says like the team you mentioned where noisey but small in numbers far contrast from the bigger teams.

• 1 month later...

Saw Union Berlin play on Friday decent little club embraced the punk image a Staduim with 3 sides all terraced and one all seater stand looks a bigger version of the North stand.

Heard quite a few good things about Union Berlin off a few lads that have also been.

Longtimeblue, the well-known Droylsden-ite and myself are heading to Italy for a few games over a weekend in March. Pro-Vercelli v Hellas Verona followed by Milan v Genoa on the Saturday and then Atalanta v Pescara on the Sunday.

I went to Colombes, to have a gander at (one of) the Escape to Victory stadium. They play in the smaller ground next to it, but you can sneak in and get a few pictures (they play big games in there apparently, but can't see there being many of those). Bit of a :censored:-hole area, but you could say that for large swathes of Paris.

I think Red Star play away from their ground, which was a shame as I was about 200m from their ground when there. But St Ouen is similarly an area you may not want to be in too late (though I blindly wandered round looking for tabs one night, before happening on a 'bar' - well a squat with drink being served in it really).

Anyone done a Paris club? Rosa wants to go to R3d Star because they sound like Communists whereas the :censored:ed up and calamitous history of Paris FC appeals to me

Not send them play but looking at visting there ground when am over also the other Paris side where the original PSG.

Did Curzon v Worcester and Buxton v Stafford the other week.

In a weeks time got two more German games lined up.

Bochum at home and another one I cannot spell for the life off me.

Heard quite a few good things about Union Berlin off a few lads that have also been.

Longtimeblue, the well-known Droylsden-ite and myself are heading to Italy for a few games over a weekend in March. Pro-Vercelli v Hellas Verona followed by Milan v Genoa on the Saturday and then Atalanta v Pescara on the Sunday.

Union are worth the trip but there ground is small and gets filled quick so worth looking at who there playing. Fair few overseas fans going watching them stood with a Scottish bloke they called Braveheart who gave up his Newcastle season ticket to come watch Union.

On your Itallian trip I have asked Stockwell to pick me a few pin badges up from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought union was great, but one of the few occasions I would say get there early. Missed at least half an hour.

Bochum's a great day/week out/place to go drinking. Can't say the football pulled up too many trees for me.

Good game finished 1-1 Aue could of been 3-0 up in opening 10min second half as was all Bochum so a draw a fair result.

Found Bochum to be really quiet and no where open tonight am clearly in wrong part of time.

Also saw Tower Hamlets v Ilford on Fri ground one stand and a running track

Since moving to Japan I've got really into groundhopping as I didn't have a team to support. After many years of pain at Latics it was quite refreshing to go to matches where I didn't care about the result and it reignited my interest in watching football. Really wish I'd got into it sooner now when I was back in the UK. 

Fortebaby - would love to hear more about what it's like at West Didsbury and Chorlton. I spent 3 years living in chorlton around 2010 and my flat mate and his friends all played for the club before and during the time they went from amateur to semi pro. I just can't imagine a crowd of 500 down there, I went with him to take in a game once and there attendance was about 15. Do they actually have a small fan base or was it just because it was a derby match with Maine Road? 

Anyway I have some photos from my hops around Japan at https://www.instagram.com/japanfootball/

if anyone's interested. And i recommend following or joining The Chicken Balti Chronicles on Facebook if you like seeing photos from groundhoppers around the world. 

Was at Prescot Cables the other week - know a few on here get down there. Decent little club with a cracking main stand and generally a good feel round the place. Pints were dog though - pipes last cleaned when we were Premier League I think.

Best part was one of my group getting called a gobshite for calling the ref a cheating scouse bastard...

6 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Was at Prescot Cables the other week - know a few on here get down there. Decent little club with a cracking main stand and generally a good feel round the place. Pints were dog though - pipes last cleaned when we were Premier League I think.

Best part was one of my group getting called a gobshite for calling the ref a cheating scouse bastard...

Yeah, me and Rosa get down there when we can (her dad was Club Secretary back in the day). They do a hell of a job keeping it going, they have no money to give players contracts so if they get someone in who has a couple of good games he's gone the next week. They're starting to build though with better sponsorship deals and the gates are rising.

Rot Weisse Oberhausen 1 SC Wattenscheid 09 O

Not the best game I been to, last min goal for the home side. Love there mascot getting the crowd going and loud ultras.

Germany 1 England 0 only a friendly but Borussia Dortmund Signal Iduna park lived up to its reputation

Daisy Hill 3 Whiteport Alport 7 North Western Counties League Division 1.

Entry £5 pin Badge £3.50 Cup of tea £1.

This game had everything Daisy Hill where 3-0 up within 20min game looked dead and buried goals includes a penalty and a own goal. Then Whitchurch scored 4 goals in the first to go into half time leading then scored another 3 second half to win 7-3.

Great for the neutral and to be fair for that level decent away fans who made plenty of noise.

Glossop North End 3 Tadcaster 1 great little game Glossop 2-0 up early on

• 4 weeks later...

Radcliffe Boro vs Brighouse (NPL1st £8) the other week was shite, Boro tried to play football whilst Brighouse hit on the break and made it stick up front, coming away comfortable winners 3-0. However Colne vs Droylsden (NPL1st £7) last Saturday was a really decent game even though it finished 0-0. Bloods look like they've massively underachieved this season outplaying Colne who secured a place in the playoffs with the point. Impressed with their set up too.

Off to NWCPL championship winners Atherton on Saturday, at home to Runcorn Town. Or Linnets. One of the two.

Prescot Cables lifting a trophy tonight amidst scenes (sadly we weren't there). They're slowly building, shamelessly advertising cheap football when Liverpool and Everton are away, a club house with it's own real ale (and every other drink), they do a bomb in fans having birthdays and weddings there. Doubled their crowds in a couple of years while still only surviving in the division by a couple of games.