The worst pitch in the division?

If you don't see the problem with players sliding across our wet pitch that's fair enough, but if we aren't arsed about the condition of it why do we bother fencing off that very area prior to kick off on matchdays, I appreciate the work the ground staff have to do but to me players should be walking around it, it's one thing having a laugh and a joke but it's a sorry sight as it is.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Nohairdontcare said:

I can't believe that Gerrard is getting flack for that highly amusing belly flop... 

This is surely the most absurd criticism since... Ngoogate the other week. 

You know it's over the top when there's a chance to criticise Gerrard and I'm not going for it 

5 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

The more talk in the media of how bad our pitch is the better . Let teams feel before they've even set foot on it that they can't play well on it . 

In that respect it can be used to our advantage as opposition managers seem more concerned about the pitch than our players and Sheff Utd actually dropped a couple of their better footballers for players better suited to a game of hoof ball, Wilder makes a good point that Shez probably isnt that happy with the pitch as he likes to play it on the ground, if we can grind out similar performances in our final three league games I will be happy with that.

30 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

The more talk in the media of how bad our pitch is the better . Let teams feel before they've even set foot on it that they can't play well on it . 

This for me too. Though I have to say it looked a lot better yesterday. Two weeks of spring weather and we may even have some grass in front of the main stand come the Fleetwood game...:o

Chris Wilder with some kind words about Shez on Goals on Sunday.

Said he spoke to him after the game and that he's putting us out playing a way in which he doesn't want to because the pitch is so poor.

Not many excuses though, to be fair to him. Just said he put out a different team than he usually would. Reckons we'll stay up comfortably.

Love to see this problem ended by the FA allowing us a new type of plastic pitch

Given the cost of replacing our pitch for a new grass based one

The chance of getting a community grant from councils and government

The savings in future maintenance 

The extra revenue from more games or events

It would possibly be a very financially viable endeavour.

But would the FA ever allow us

and one more benefit... it would allow for better quality football and is that what everyone wants?

When I first saw the thread title I thought it may have been a bit over the top. Very bad, yes, but the worst, really......well it seems it may be true.

I've been paying careful attention to the goals round up show and only Newport seemed to have a pitch on par with ours. Also even the National League grounds are far better than our, granted not see them all. Southport's is like Wembley compared to ours.

Simple question is why?

Is there some underlying problem?

Is it just bad drainage?

Or simply a lack of investment of a new surface every few years (what ever 'every few years' may be in terms of time span)? 

1 hour ago, Witty said:

When I first saw the thread title I thought it may have been a bit over the top. Very bad, yes, but the worst, really......well it seems it may be true.

I've been paying careful attention to the goals round up show and only Newport seemed to have a pitch on par with ours. Also even the National League grounds are far better than our, granted not see them all. Southport's is like Wembley compared to ours.

Simple question is why?

Is there some underlying problem?

Is it just bad drainage?

Or simply a lack of investment of a new surface every few years (what ever 'every few years' may be in terms of time span)? 

I visit plenty of National League/Evo Stick grounds and I have to say ours is as bad as there is, Newport ground share with Gwent Dragons rugby team so have some excuses for their cabbage patch, our problems are probably a combination of things, an ageing surface coupled with minimal investment have left us with what we have, like anything you get what you pay for and that's why we are playing on sand.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/03/2017 at 5:00 PM, adamoafc said:

I genuinely think the groundsman is to blame when he comes back the pitch is dreadful. Only 2 seasons back the guy who left for city had a brilliant surface. This guys loves to fill the pitch with sand!

He said when he came in the grass was mixture of plastic grass and real and talked about last season saying the roots were the problem. Get rid of him.

Looks like some of the problems are caused by a collapsed drain after all.