The worst pitch in the division?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, yarddogs said:

I see our ground staff aren't official employees of the club anymore and they reckon they have found the drainage issue problems.

"Found"

Be interesting to find when it was first reported on here that one of the drains under the pitch was busted.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

"Found"

Be interesting to find when it was first reported on here that one of the drains under the pitch was busted.

Didn't know he head groundsman tweet a couple of months ago about finding the drain issue?

7 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

"Found"

It was mentioned well over a year ago and it occured during the construction of the North Stand which surprisingly enough is around the same time the pitch went pear shaped.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

It was mentioned well over a year ago and it occured during the construction of the North Stand which surprisingly enough is around the same time the pitch went pear shaped.

Correct!

“As well as outsourcing the maintenance of the pitch, after detailed work undertook by Lee, a major problem was found with the main outlet for the pitch drainage which had been compromised whilst the new North Stand was being built."

Main outlet sounds like a drain to me, not a manhole.

On 5/8/2017 at 4:18 PM, oafc1955 said:

According to a chap on Latics ezine site there are strong rumours a deal has been done to get ORLC back at BP next season.

Would be interesting with regards to the pitch!!

Anybody on here heard anything?

Honestly, given the record of both clubs since the RL team stopped playing on BP, it seems to me that they were never the problem.

They were paying OAFC money to use the pitch, and getting decent crowds at the same time, and now things are very different. For one, Whitebank is a dump of a ground, especially for RL, mostly because the result was often determined by who won the coin toss, and while Stalybridge is a much better ground for them to play on, the attendances have fallen.

Meanwhile Latics have been in a relegation fight every single year since the move, and are seemingly in a constant need for money to pay their players.

I imagine i'm only seeing things at face value, but Latics really should have offered to let them back on at the start of last spring, given the state of the pitch just from the football, and the calibre of teams Yeds are now playing against (Bradford, Hull KR and last season's Challenge Cup when Warrington visited).

On 09/05/2017 at 8:57 PM, jorvik_latic said:

This is both. They spotted the collapsed drain via a manhole they didn't know was there. 

Probably the one that player (Paul Smith?) fell down. Probably concreted over it thinking "that'll never happen again" :D

2 minutes ago, Jay Moore said:

Honestly, given the record of both clubs since the RL team stopped playing on BP, it seems to me that they were never the problem.

They were paying OAFC money to use the pitch, and getting decent crowds at the same time, and now things are very different. For one, Whitebank is a dump of a ground, especially for RL, mostly because the result was often determined by ).

But they weren't...hence getting kicked out. 

Just now, boundaryblue80 said:

But they weren't...hence getting kicked out. 

Fair enough, but I still question the logic that the RL team had a significant effect on the pitch.

The yeds recent success is surely an incentive to invite them back, if only for the big games against Bradford and Hull KR, just to capitalise on the larger away following, and a few extra home fans that would come back. Obviously it's not a perfect situation, but one team is currently cash-strapped and the other is essentially homeless. The RL club has announced that the Batley game will be played at Sportcity, so that opportunity is lost, while fans will be forced to travel further to get to the game, so an even smaller crowd will turn up.

Just now, Jay Moore said:

Fair enough, but I still question the logic that the RL team had a significant effect on the pitch.

The yeds recent success is surely an incentive to invite them back, if only for the big games against Bradford and Hull KR, just to capitalise on the larger away following, and a few extra home fans that would come back. Obviously it's not a perfect situation, but one team is currently cash-strapped and the other is essentially homeless. The RL club has announced that the Batley game will be played at Sportcity, so that opportunity is lost, while fans will be forced to travel further to get to the game, so an even smaller crowd will turn up.

I agree that for some marquee games, some resolution to past issues could be sought. Maybe Corney could suggest we control the ticket sales side and take our cut before monies are passed over etc. Although, too much water may have passed under the bridge though. I certainly wouldn't want them back on a regular basis though. I remember the season we battered Forest 5-0 at home, the rugby seriously affected the pitch and led to our season struggling towards the end. 

4 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Although, too much water may have passed under the bridge though.

You may be right about that, seemed like there was a bit of resentment when this was discussed two years ago. Hope it's not too serious to prevent any agreement from being made.

Though I will bring up what this thread is saying, our pitch was awful at the end of this season anyway! I agree that we seemed to have trouble towards the end of the season back then, but I would argue that the effect of poor weather over the winter was of similar importance, as it was this season. Short of getting a full roof (which will never happen) I doubt we will ever see a good playing surface at that time of year.

On 8 May 2017 at 4:40 PM, dec666 said:

They were supposed to announce today where they'd be playing their home game against Batley in two weeks time. Not seen anything announced yet. 

Not sure when we're planning to rip the pitch up (if we do that at all these days) but if previous issues have been overcome and that game is at Boundary Park, it could possibly be a hint at next season.

Read there talking about using the Athletics Staduim at Man City 

I think the problems with the pitch date all the way back to when we ripped the plastic up.

I saw the Premier League posted highlights of our 4-3 great escape win over Southampton in 1993 on twitter the other day. The pitch looked worse in that game than it has been at any point this season. Yes, it  certainly did improve for a good few years after it was last relayed but  I don't think we are ever going to be one of these clubs that is fortunate enough to have a surface like a bowling green for the entire season. Soil conditions and the local climate don't favour us in that respect.

The main problem with the Rugby coming back for me would be the fact that we would lose the window for summer maintenance that every pitch needs.  Maybe them playing a few matches outside that maintenance window wouldn't be a bad idea but I doubt that the Rugby would agree to Latics taking the gate receipts and then passing them on after taking a cut.  Recent form would suggest that Corney would take that opportunity to collect his debts from the last time they played at BP.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Someone will be along shortly to say they manage the pitch well enough at Rochdale...

Trolling again?

We don't need to mention them...they now run their club well enough to be able to afford a new one when necessary.

Edited by boundaryblue80