Ripley future

So then what is the answer to the original question in the interview? Nobody appears to have answered about his reply so far as per the player teaser.

Whilst obvious he wont be here what did he actually say?

He said he would go back to Boro at the end of the season and find out what their plans are for him. Ideally he wants to get in the first team at Boro. But if not possible he'd go out on loan again. Said Shez had asked him to come back here and Motherwell would also be an option for him.

One of the questions he was asked was McDonald's or KFC?

The interviewer then asked if he was allowed to eat that sort of stuff and he said it was a fine for him because keepers don't need to be as fit as outfield players.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would we say are his areas to improve on?

If I had to nit pick I would say his kicking (but this is still excellent for this level)

I also noticed he was a little slow off his line yesterday before being clattered by Vaughan.

My take...

As mentioned his distribution could improve with his feet. He often overkicks his targets downfield and struggles to hit wide players in areas of relative space. This is a much bigger issue the higher level you are at as has been shown this season down the road.....

Set against that he has improved his throwing enormously this season for me. Very often our best counters come from his fast,flat bowled throws which are accurate, powerful and normally in the stride of the breaking player.

I think for a confident young goalkeeper he doesn't have the biggest range when coming for crosses. He seldom ventures beyond his 6 yard box and sometimes fails to highpoint the ball for me. A good example was when he ended up underneath the ball against Millwall allowing the centreforward to cleanly head above him.

That said this might not be entitely down to him as modern coaching has goalkeepers being much more selective about attacking the lighter and more varied balls used at present.

I agree that he could also be quicker off his line to intercept but in fairness we are often quite deep with a lack of pace at the back which makes it hard to sweep effectively. Given the potential for mistakes with experienced defenders heading back to goal it probably makes sense to trust their reading and judgement.

His shotstopping is superb and his best asset. It would not surprise me if he plays a bit outfield on occasion because he reads the finish exceptionally well for a young goalkeeper. He is also very confident with his feet in posession which would suggest this is the case.

Communication appears strong and he readily takes on his older and more experienced defenders. I sometimes wonder how much tactical information he gives though. Our fullbacks are so often isolated and vulnerable to the space that exists on both flanks outside the centre halves yet I rarely hear him shouting the instructions I would expect. Maybe he has given up, ha ha!!

All this is relative though. He is a superb young goalkeeper who should be PL bound at some point. Like somebody else said, best case scenario for him is Boro go down and he steps in whilst the decks are cleared. He wouldn't let them down and I am sure he wouldn't be out of place.

Noticed that too, but even more so Gerrard, who looked painfully slow yesterday. Fortunately Gerrard gets out of a few tricky situations with his reading of the game.

Croft also looks to be carrying excess weight and Taylor is very sluggish.

Makes me wonder if they bother to do any fitness training at all at the club.

Or perhaps its a diet problem of personal discipline.

In either case the clubs coaches should be looking to improve these aspects.

Gerrard is fat as :censored:. Embarrassingly overweight for a professional sportsman.

Noticed that too, but even more so Gerrard, who looked painfully slow yesterday. Fortunately Gerrard gets out of a few tricky situations with his reading of the game.

Croft also looks to be carrying excess weight and Taylor is very sluggish.

Makes me wonder if they bother to do any fitness training at all at the club.

Blaming our current coaching staff for Croft and Gerrard having been fat for the last 15 years is a bit harsh.

I dont see ripley as being overweight, he's a big guy and that works in his favour. His frame reminds me of a peter Schmeichel. I imagine they have to eat well otherwise most keepers would look like paddy Kenny but surely they don't need to be as strict as an outfield player. I suppose every player is different depending on their role.

Interestingly,Ripley said Shez had changed very little from Robinson.

I didn't know what to make of that, whether the small changes were enough to make such a difference or hwe was just not having a dig at Robinson.

Or, we are stil not scoring so nothing's changed ;-)

Sometimes the little things said can have bigger impact than massive changes.

Very true. I got the impression virtually nothing had changed though, from his answer.

Either way, we're still none the wiser what Shez has done that has made such an impact on results!

Very true. I got the impression virtually nothing had changed though, from his answer.

Either way, we're still none the wiser what Shez has done that has made such an impact on results!

From his perspective he's still got a dodgy full back most games and a slow centre half with :censored: distribution in front of him.

Interestingly,Ripley said Shez had changed very little from Robinson.

I didn't know what to make of that, whether the small changes were enough to make such a difference or hwe was just not having a dig at Robinson.

Or, we are stil not scoring so nothing's changed ;-)

The coach hasn't changed..oh no here goes BP1960 again.

Edited by BP1960

From his perspective he's still got a dodgy full back most games and a slow centre half with :censored: distribution in front of him.

Ah, but with most players that come on loan, this obvious gulf in classs from what they are used to makes them withdraw and perform poorly. What makes Ripley stand out is he is learning from it, marshalling and has acknowledge the part they play,

In the case of Clarke they clearly have a great rapport and it's a relationship that is thriving. Gerrard has done well to curtail his instincts and generally fitted it rather than try and impose himself on the two fo them, so his defieciences you allude have been less visible

It can't be understated his importance to us this season if we do manage to stay up, early on in games we've ended up getting something from he's pulled off worldies time after time, at this level in the past 20 years I've not seen a better one and I'd be staggered if the lads not playing in the Premier League in the next couple of seasons.