Bristol Rovers

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty poor that today, all a bit half arsed and Erwin and Tope up front never really look like doing anything

The players loooked as though they were on the beach and if they play like that in the last two games then we're not likely to pick up a point but hey ho, job probably done

To put it another way four teams below us who have been struggling to make a point a game all season will have to take 19 points from their next  10 games for us to go down. 6 of which are against teams in the top 6 . Again at the risk of being a hostage to fortune, Town hall steps arse time.

WTF... ....that has to be one of the worst grounds around.....makes BP (sorry Sportsdirect.com Park) look like Wembley.......is it run by Pikeys because it looks like they keep finding scrap steel and a bit of plastic and opening an additional covered area.

As for the game, as others have said...a half-hearted performance. Needed either Green or Fane to provide some bite in midfield.

I was sat behind the goal and at half-time, what seemed like a day out for the Main Stand Moaners turned up.

One idiot came up with these pearls of wisdom:

1) Ripley is crap.

2) Irwin is crap (to which his mate said we would be f*cked without his goals.........no response)

3) Taylor deserves a contract for next season because he has been excellent every game.

7 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

WTF... ....that has to be one of the worst grounds around.....makes BP (sorry Sportsdirect.com Park) look like Wembley.......is it run by Pikeys because it looks like they keep finding scrap steel and a bit of plastic and opening an additional covered area.

As for the game, as others have said...a half-hearted performance. Needed either Green or Fane to provide some bite in midfield.

I was sat behind the goal and at half-time, what seemed like a day out for the Main Stand Moaners turned up.

One idiot came up with these pearls of wisdom:

1) Ripley is crap.

2) Irwin is crap (to which his mate said we would be f*cked without his goals.........no response)

3) Taylor deserves a contract for next season because he has been excellent every game.

It reminded me of a horse racing track with some equestrian tents interspersed. I love terracing but that's a terrible, terrible non-league ground.

Taylor is painfully slow at times. I do appreciate he's playing as a wing back a bit out of position but he's very unadventurous - compare his performance to McLaughlin's and the impact is so stark.

Thought we were the only team in it first half, but lost our way after half time until they scored. Then we turned their box into the Alamo without any reward.

Spoke to a few Rovers fans after the game and all agreed a draw would have been a fairer result.

Still reckon we're safe though.

Thought it was very even.  Both teams were strong defensively but they had the moment of magic. Bit of a nothing game really, it became a lot more relaxed when it was clear that scores were going our way and that relegation now looks extremely unlikely.

Anyone who questions Holloway's value to the team should re-watch that game.  Erwin and Obadeyi were decent individually but rarely threatened.  Both look so much better alongside a foil like Holloway.

All 6 players who played in central midfield over the 90 minutes didn't really produce anything but they were very disciplined.  Shez has done a great job making sure the unit is strong whoever is in there and all the players have improved, but fair play to Banks who I think has had to change his attitude to be part of it and he's gone a long way to doing it.

I find it hard to criticise the wing backs.  McLaughlin was more of a threat in an attacking sense but neither him nor Taylor shirked their defensive responsibilities.

Wilson and Clarke were same as usual, if Clarke scored that would've been awesome.  Stott impressed me considering it was his 2nd start for us.  The goal came down his side but there wasn't much he could do from what I saw.  He can do all the defensive basics to a competent level but most promising was his confidence to take the ball out of defence.  A good prospect for next year based on that performance.  Ripley again was his usual excellent self, gutted for him that a good goal prevented him from getting another clean sheet.

That was the first game I've taken my girlfriend to.  She seemed to enjoy it (i.e. she hasn't dumped me yet) but the fighting between the stewards and fans did a lot to ruin it.

This will now be the first season since 08/09 that we haven't mathematically survived with 2 games remaining, that said the fact that Shez has taken us to the point of near-survival in the space of 20 games is a minor miracle considering the state we were in when Robinson left us.  I think attention can start to switch to off-season and next season now though.  Arguably between now and August is more important than staying in League One for the clubs long term future.  If Shez isn't let go and finances are strong enough to keep our key players then I could see us finally getting a top half finish.  

Sadly after last summer and some of the rumours that have been flying around on here, I'm far from convinced that those things will happen.  Shez staying should be an absolute no-brainer so if we can't keep him that would be so damning of the state of the club that I wouldn't be able to see how we could recover.  I really hope the board see this and have the power to do the right thing.

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes what an achievement it would be, may I suggest the couple of million they have in the bank and being around the play offs which will result in a top 8 finish is better than our huge club has managed for many a year, I really don't get the obsession some of our fans have with Dale, showing that your bothered by them really does demonstrate how far we've sunk.

I'm bothered about them coz they're the nearest club, it's a derby & their manager (albeit a good one) is a bit of a dick and doesn't like us. Nowt to do with size of clubs. They really do show us up in terms of how to run a club in a tough environment tho. That's lost on some. 

On 16/04/2017 at 7:41 PM, HarryBosch said:

I've not lived there for many years (Downender's your man - maybe message him) but I think you want to park in Cabot Circus and then get the 75 bus up Gloucester Road.....

Local taxi's used to be pisstakingly expensive but an Uber might be ok....

sorry NZ Latic....only just read your message. Hope you and family had a decent visit, result notwithstanding 

On 4/18/2017 at 7:55 AM, mikejh45 said:

By the way, did anybody notice O' Neill having a strop after being substituted........threw his bib on the floor and went into sulk mode!!!

Don't mind that, if a player is angry about being subbed good. Take that anger into the next game and prove a point, just as long as he doesn't go the other way and downs tools.

1 hour ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Don't mind that, if a player is angry about being subbed good. Take that anger into the next game and prove a point, just as long as he doesn't go the other way and downs tools.

But how many Billy Big Bollocks have swung through our club on loan and thought they were too good for us?

16 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

But how many Billy Big Bollocks have swung through our club on loan and thought they were too good for us?

A fair few, not fair to tar him with that brush. He was angry at being subbed, he hasn't played for a while, great to see someone having that desire to play, especially as he is on loan.