Youth Team contracts, the Trust and Brendy Glackin

Brendy Glackin has not been offered a professional contract despite getting 40 goals in two seasons.

I asked if one of the qeustions at the last Simon Corney meeting could be if the lack of contracts a financial decison or footballing one because, for the past couple of season the Youth Team have done really well, but only a handful of contracts were given out.

So can the Trust find this out, does the club have a limit on the number of contracts, are there any financial constraints as I am sure a number of fans would be happy to contribute to a youth PLayerShare or even divert Playershare money if there are financial constraints.

Obviosuly, I am not going to suggest any changes if it was purely a footballing decsion. Tony P will know them best and sometimes releasing players jolts them out of their "coasting" for want of a better word, where they might not have performaed as well had they been given a contract.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, singe said:

Brendy Glackin has not been offered a professional contract despite getting 40 goals in two seasons.

I asked if one of the qeustions at the last Simon Corney meeting could be if the lack of contracts a financial decison or footballing one because, for the past couple of season the Youth Team have done really well, but only a handful of contracts were given out.

So can the Trust find this out, does the club have a limit on the number of contracts, are there any financial constraints as I am sure a number of fans would be happy to contribute to a youth PLayerShare or even divert Playershare money if there are financial constraints.

Obviosuly, I am not going to suggest any changes if it was purely a footballing decsion. Tony P will know them best and sometimes releasing players jolts them out of their "coasting" for want of a better word, where they might not have performaed as well had they been given a contract.

1 hour ago, singe said:

Just seen one of the parents put a status on Facebook seems Shez has over ruled Tony Philliskirk and none of them will be offered a deal

4 minutes ago, Forte_Baby said:

I have always said its vital we develop & bring are own players through.

I fear Glackin could be the one that gets away and comes back to haunt us.

How many have come back to haunt us in the last 10 years? Off the top of my head none. I trust shez's judgement. 

Without wishing to sound harsh, we're doing well in a lower category, regional division against the likes York City's u18. Even at youth level, that's some way below what what will make us money. If they've not looked up to it when pitted against first team players in training or reserve friendlies then why use squad wages to sign them?

Strikes me that the loss of a proper reserve team makes the youth set up close to redundant unless some innovative thinking comes about.  The step up from youth to first team must be very significant and without any sort of competitive stepping stone it's hard to see how that gap can be bridged.  If one of the better seasons the youth team has had results in none of them being taken on then then that sounds close to terminal for the system to me,

One idea.  For a select group (i.e. the four or five that may have been taken on in different circumstances) find a local non-league club or two at a decent level and agree some form of long term loan which allows that club to share in future transfer fees and gives us first refusal if they do develop over, say a couple of seasons, into players that could make the step up.  No idea if that is within rules, probably no, but something has to change otherwise it's just a child minding service with activities thrown in.

Would hardly be a surprise if Tony P was wondering what the point is.

5 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

The PlayerShare model should, in my opinion, be:

1 first team signing a season funded.

1 youth contract a season funded.

In the past the limited pot has contributed to too many players in a season (not this season though).

This is a great idea. The trust has lost its way on this front for the past season or so. Need to get back to basics for things like this. 

33 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Bloody hell, gonna struggle competing with other clubs for talent if we don't even offer any lad a pro contract...

What a waste of Tony Philliskirk's time!

Or, dare I say it, he isn't doing his job properly by not getting these lads ready to play first team football for us...

*takes cover*

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Or, dare I say it, he isn't doing his job properly by not getting these lads ready to play first team football for us...

*takes cover*

I don't know either way, but whenever I hear anybody talk about our youth team it's always they're playing against a technically better side but they're well-drilled, hard to beat, and a threat from set-pieces.

Depends how you see it: does winning stuff equate to doing it right? It certainly is an issue that we've not had an outfield youth player properly come through since Tarky. I'd imagine a part of that is the shambolic nature of our manager situations.

14 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

*takes cover*

Why do we keep him on, then?

TP's teams have won cups in the recent past and Glackin has (apparently) scored 40 goals in two seasons - not sure what more can be asked of TP.

Not a single player getting a contract speaks volumes. I'm not saying bin the youth system but needs must and the cost of running it over a season must be substantial.

Like someone said earlier, without a reserve team really what is the point? Perhaps it would be more productive to sign cast offs from Premiership or Championship. 

Cant see the point of running a youth team and getting absolutely nothing in return. 

Perhaps a reserve team is the answer where we already have the players signed up who need game time and just add 2 or 3 scouted youths and/or local castoffs.

Dont know where this leaves TP like but I can see Corney making a radical cost saving decision here.... perhaps he could move up to reserve team boss. 

It's a tough one. You'd have thought last season and the one before would have been the chance for one or two to force themselves in at the start, given how thin our squads were. Maybe first time managers fearing the sack from day one are going to look for experienced plodders over kids every time. 

3 minutes ago, leeslover said:

It's a tough one. You'd have thought last season and the one before would have been the chance for one or two to force themselves in at the start, given how thin our squads were. Maybe first time managers fearing the sack from day one are going to look for experienced plodders over kids every time. 

Yet a fairly recent example would be loaning Rasulo from MK just months after our lot battered his side in the national final. Makes little sense but then it was under Dunn.

Who is responsible for recruiting these kids though? Is it TP? Or do we have a dedicated youth scout? Or is it both?

If TP isn't recruiting these kids he can only work with what he's got. If they're not good enough to step up to the first team we can't keep players on the pay roll for sentimental reasons.

if you consider what TP and the Youth set up costs (no idea but must be a reasonable sum) then it does seem entirely pointless if none of them either step up to the first team or are sold (even less likely)

Surely there must be a return on investment that says at least 1 player makes the transition each season or surely we might just as well spend the money on buying or contracting a promising non league player a season.....Matt Smith, Wayne Andrews, Fitz Hall anyone ??

I think we either need an academy > reserves > 1st team path or simply not bother