Youth Team contracts, the Trust and Brendy Glackin

44 minutes ago, pinevillawill said:

Surely a 20 goal a season youth player is worthy of a 12 month deal? Regardless of who does or doesn't feel they're ready for pro football.

Inclined to agree. They're on £250 a week aren't they, if the reports on Tuohy were accurate.

It surely must be worth it considering some of the fees knocking about these days if a player scores a few goals in the league.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ChrisA said:

Yet a fairly recent example would be loaning Rasulo from MK just months after our lot battered his side in the national final. Makes little sense but then it was under Dunn.

What a great night that was.  It looked like men against boys but we we had skill and a plan. Knight seemed to be our only player who matched them physically so I was surprised he was sent out to non league.

Our record of bringing through youth players is shocking. It's an area the club need to look thoroughly at and ask why it's not working. 

Not every player we bring through is going to be a saleable asset, or even a first team starter, but we're barely bringing through any competent squad players.

Financially it's not working and in footballing terms it's not working. Shez and Philli are good coaches and have bags of experience managing youths, so where does the problem lie?

I'm not sure how we get by when we have so few saleable players, it's should be one of our primary revenue streams.

4 hours ago, Forte_Baby said:

Where has it been announced he has not been offered a deal and who else has and hasn't been offered deals?

I know you;ve seen stuff since, but first it was topoff
oafc_topoff @georgeOAFC1999 8h8 hours ago

Brendy Glackin scores 40Goals in 2seasons for the youth team but somehow doesn't get a professional contract! Missed out big time #oafc

Then Brendy Glackin himself tweeted it, but it has since been deleted, was clearly unhappy said so 40 goals 2 seasons not enough for a pro contract, then said was determined to prove them wrong.

21 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Not a single player getting a contract speaks volumes. I'm not saying bin the youth system but needs must and the cost of running it over a season must be substantial.

Like someone said earlier, without a reserve team really what is the point? Perhaps it would be more productive to sign cast offs from Premiership or Championship. 

Cant see the point of running a youth team and getting absolutely nothing in return. 

Perhaps a reserve team is the answer where we already have the players signed up who need game time and just add 2 or 3 scouted youths and/or local castoffs.

Dont know where this leaves TP like but I can see Corney making a radical cost saving decision here.... perhaps he could move up to reserve team boss. 

Edited by singe

30 minutes ago, singe said:

I'm not certain but I think I  read somewhere the Youth teamers are on Apprentice Rates of National Minimu  Wage at about  4.56 per hour. Not a massive cost, but obviously if not step up and are sold it is a drain.

Mate of mine did an apprenticeship a few years back. Was on around £3 an hour, which, it must be said, is an absolute fucking disgrace.

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Inclined to agree. They're on £250 a week aren't they, if the reports on Tuohy were accurate.

It surely must be worth it considering some of the fees knocking about these days if a player scores a few goals in the league.

This. The amount of shit we take on and we can't take a chance on a young lad who clearly knows where the back of the net is. Would it really be that much of a financial gamble to get someone like this on a cheap 12 month contract?

Do we want quantity or quality, without getting too sentimental these kids are deemed not up to it and regardless of what they cost we should consider the time, energy and resources they need. I'd much rather have a squad of 20 who can all step up and play than a larger group that need to be developed.

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Do we want quantity or quality, without getting too sentimental these kids are deemed not up to it and regardless of what they cost we should consider the time, energy and resources they need. I'd much rather have a squad of 20 who can all step up and play than a larger group that need to be developed.

True, but could the savings from what we paid (hopefully) for Burgess by playing Edmunson have paid for someone better than Klok/Dunne/Reckord?

I'd have loved for Edmondson to have been thrown in this season but for whatever reason Robinson and then  Shez didn't fancy him, some managers don't have a problem throwing kids straight in but Shez doesn't appear to be one of them. It's not a criticism as you can understand the dilemma Shez particularly has faced were results have been the be all and end all the last two seasons. 

2 hours ago, singe said:

I'm not certain but I think I  read somewhere the Youth teamers are on Apprentice Rates of National Minimu  Wage at about  4.56 per hour. Not a massive cost, but obviously if not step up and are sold it is a drain.

1st April the apprenticeship wage increased to £3.50 per hour roughly £125.00 per week. 

regardless of age and that's for your first year, then it increases to the NMW for your age banding.

has a usually increase 1st October not by much I have to say 10pm, 20p...

some employers do pay more than £3.50

Edited by underdog

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Mate of mine did an apprenticeship a few years back. Was on around £3 an hour, which, it must be said, is an absolute fucking disgrace.

Did he have any digs provided too or was he local? I know the club provide it to some. 

With regards to funding youth contracts- when the club was asked at the Q and A with Moisley and Robinson, they said they money was always there if they wanted to sign them (within the full budget though) and it was down to the manager to decide. 

Edmundson in and around. Stott recalled to be with 1st team as well. Coleman came through. Renshaw was youth and moved on. It's not like we don't have any coming through but I'd trust Sheridans judgement on whether someone who has bagged against youth teams of mainly non league opposition is good enough for league 1

1 hour ago, Senor_Coconut said:

Anyone remember that youth Striker we had a few years ago with a record like Glakin, Crompton or Compton? Some on came on here claiming Utd or City were going to pick him 

Do you mean the one currently rocketing them in for Mini United?

5 hours ago, leeslover said:

It's a tough one. You'd have thought last season and the one before would have been the chance for one or two to force themselves in at the start, given how thin our squads were. Maybe first time managers fearing the sack from day one are going to look for experienced plodders over kids every time. 

Indeed. What a shame we've had managers allowing Croft to steal a wage when it could probably have been used on 2 or 3 kids coming through. 

12 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

Did he have any digs provided too or was he local? I know the club provide it to some. 

With regards to funding youth contracts- when the club was asked at the Q and A with Moisley and Robinson, they said they money was always there if they wanted to sign them (within the full budget though) and it was down to the manager to decide. 

Thanks Jorvik, this was my main thrust, that it was not (understandable) financial constraints, it's a football decsion, if it were I'd be up for doing something. Two bits of info I have indicate fotballing reasons are generally the ones.

Having seen him a few times he looked Too lightweight, he was clean through a couple of times in the LSC v Man U and Everton and wasted the chances badly. Came on for the first team and he was very weak. Shame given his goals record but let's not get carried away he was doing this against other kids. We have to trust Shez and if he was that good why wasn't he loaned out ala Edmundson, Stott etc...

TP will have had input here too. I can see Shez wanting to use every penny of his budget and he's bound to be looking for a couple of goalscorers.

The kid sounds confident on twitter I hope he does prove us wrong. Personally I can't see it. Good luck to him...

In his LP interview this afternoon, Shez says he was asked to give an opinion on the youth team lads, but stressed that he hadn't seen much of them at all, and the decisions were made by the youth team coaches.

22 minutes ago, bozman said:

In his LP interview this afternoon, Shez says he was asked to give an opinion on the youth team lads, but stressed that he hadn't seen much of them at all, and the decisions were made by the youth team coaches.

Very honest of Shez. The Youth Team coaches will be aware of them performance wise and also in training.

On 12/04/2017 at 3:54 PM, LaticsPete said:

Mason Fawns from Blackburn given contract by us.

18 yo forward who played for our youths earlier this season.

i wonder if Blackburn let him go and he has been trialling with us for a few months.

Edited by astottie