Tactics and players for next season

Shez keeps saying (this time round and a year ago), and it keeps being reported, that this isn't how he wants to play but needs must, the pitch is shit etc...

As much as I'd love to watch us go up, or threaten to go up, playing the type of football we enjoyed for a while under Shez first time round - the second best I've seen in my lifetime after Royle - should he not be looking to simply replicate what we're producing now and what we produced a year ago for a whole season? 

He'll need some decent players on decent money to play decent football and I can't see Corney providing him with too many of those (I hope I'm wrong).

Would continuing to do what we're doing not give us the greatest chance of success? Especially considering it seems he can do it with a cheap(ish) bunch of players...? 

It all works and has worked two years in a row - seems daft to change it to me......

Shez to me shows you can't polish a turd but throw a bit of glitter on it and it's drastically improved. I don't care how we play. I just want to turn up thinking hey we could win this game , as oppose to we're probably not going to score against these. Top ten next year will be refreshing and unless something goes tits up I think it's even realistic. Although I have to say, I'm the guy that every time a World Cup or Euros comes around believes this is our time. 

Quite content myself to see us replicate what we've seen under Sheridan in 2016 and 2017 over the course of a season.

it's very effective and we win games. Despite his claims I don't think we'll stray too far from this approach.

Anyone who follows NFL knows the team who have had the greatest success in the last decade are the New England Patriots whose coach preaches "Do your job." Shez says the same things case and point strikers are asked to be a striker, defenders the same. It's about knowing what is being asked of you and doing it. The players at the this level are athletic enough but maybe not clever enough, maybe by outlining their job no more no less you take that out of the equation. I think Sheridan has hit onto a something that works at this level for this club and I can't see why he would change.

If Shez can keep this squad of players together with the obvious exception of Conor Ripley then you would think that with 3-4 new faces on top of that with wages saved from a few outgoing players such as Croft Reckord possibly Flynn then we could easily be top 10.

What the club needs now is continuity on the football side of things this summer. A repeat of the volatility of last summer and we might not be so lucky again this time. Without wanting to turn this into another Corney Cashflow debt thread which will inevitably get hijacked by the usual idiots resorting to petty name calling and point scoring. It really does depend on how well we will get through the summer months financially. 

We've got the right manager in charge and if Sheridan and Tony Phillisirk can get their heads together and come up with a strategy over the next 3 years for player recruitment and development then most other things should sort themselves out. We will get cup runs and player sales will help us out financially and we will even get success on the pitch.

Edited by GlossopLatic

We've done very well playing to conditions but I don't think we can go on deliberately planning to have a shit pitch as a tactic. It will only get worse and we'll end up with no matches for a couple of months if we get a really bad spell. And there's nothing to say Shez can't get our players to play on grass either.

Keeping our current receipe for success (assuming we can maintain a good keeper) of score few, but concede less would probably make us top half contenders but it's not the type of football that encourages attendances.  And whilst it works for us at the moment - when results have been sooo bad we will grasp anything of positivity, another season of low scoring, grinding out results, might start to lose some of its appeal?

Scoring goals is still a problem, and feel that once we solve that problem we will send up conceding a few more - it's a rare team that can do both.

Could be the most interesting summer since the last one.

A new assistant manager, could it be Shirtliff? Wright? Wellens?

Plenty of players out of contract, will they stay or go?

Will the supporters bar be finished? Will they do anything to make the Jimmy Frizzell Stand look like the Jimmy Frizzell Stand? Will they do anything to improve the state of the pitch?

Or will the guessers finally get their wish and see the club liquidated?

I think the current tactics work at home, and away against pretty garbage opposition, but highlighted against Southend and Brizzle that if we dont have Holloway we lack any real threat going forward away from home, and will lose too many away playing similar tactics. Lets face it we could have ultimately lost points against Millwall, Bury, Sheff U and Bolton without a touch of luck as well, so I for one would like to see a few new faces and a bit more of an attacking system, as the defensive core (bar Ripley) are here next season anyway. A good keeper, keep Mclaughlin and Taylor and add a couple of midfielders and a decent striker and I dont think we are miles away from a top ten starting line up.

I can't believe that I'd be saying this half way through the season, but I think we should keep the squad the same as much as we possibly can.

If our ten outfield players were:

Wilson

Clarke

Gerrard

McLaughlin

Green

Banks

Fane

Taylor

Holloway

Erwin/Obadeyi

I wouldn't be disappointed.  Sheridan has managed to make the midfield 3 work well together, McLaughlin and Taylor would be fine as wing backs, as Erwin has proved a decent striker (not even a great one) will bag goals alongside Holloway and the defence is solid (with Edmundson and Stott waiting in the wings).

Obviously some players will need to move on and finding a good keeper, left back and striker will be essential for the squad.  But a large overhaul of the squad certainly isn't needed and would be pretty detrimental.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

52 minutes ago, youngen said:

I think the current tactics work at home, and away against pretty garbage opposition, but highlighted against Southend and Brizzle that if we dont have Holloway we lack any real threat going forward away from home, and will lose too many away playing similar tactics. Lets face it we could have ultimately lost points against Millwall, Bury, Sheff U and Bolton without a touch of luck as well, so I for one would like to see a few new faces and a bit more of an attacking system, as the defensive core (bar Ripley) are here next season anyway. A good keeper, keep Mclaughlin and Taylor and add a couple of midfielders and a decent striker and I dont think we are miles away from a top ten starting line up.

I'm interested to see what Shez does in relation to Holloway. We can't plan for a full season predicated on the fitness of a single very injury-prone player. We're going to need a back-up big lad. However, like jss said, how many of these big lads can we have when they're not goalscorers? It might be okay when you're able to afford a proven quality striker, but when you're trial-and-error like us we can't rely on one cheap-ish striker to do the job. We may need 4 or 5 strikers next season...

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

I'm interested to see what Shez does in relation to Holloway. We can't plan for a full season predicated on the fitness of a single very injury-prone player. We're going to need a back-up big lad. However, like jss said, how many of these big lads can we have when they're not goalscorers? It might be okay when you're able to afford a proven quality striker, but when you're trial-and-error like us we can't rely on one cheap-ish striker to do the job. We may need 4 or 5 strikers next season...

Back up big lads are a scarce commodity as Bolton have found out when Madine has got injured. That is unless you are Sheff U with Clarke, Sharp and Hanson.No wonder they won the league. Most teams in it couldn't have afforded one of those let alone all 3.

Guest davidshaw

Some good points made here. Agree that AHH's injury record may prove to be very costly (i.e. playing wise AND cost of his wages whilst out injured). In that case, Ngoo got to be worth working on in the summer and let Sheridan develop him more next season? Erwin, I`d like to keep but I don't think he'll stay here. Taylor - don't pursue - average since he came back and Shez will find better value elsewhere.

Biggest things - a good keeper - and as someone else has put, more goals to entice fans back.

Not a difficult job, then is it!      "In Shez we trust"

On 17/04/2017 at 1:42 PM, OldHallam said:

Possibly an answer I haven't as yet found but why is Matty Palmer not in Burton squad since 18th March. Just wondering if although under contract an option to go after?

Keeper... I will accept Ripley isn't back when he plays elsewhere.  Much depends on manager at Boro next year. I suspect they will want a quick bounce back and wont trust a younger keeper (well I can hope) 

It's a nice idea OH but there are Premier League clubs keeping a close eye on Palmer.  There's absolutely no chance he's coming back to Latics.

22 hours ago, davidshaw said:

Some good points made here. Agree that AHH's injury record may prove to be very costly (i.e. playing wise AND cost of his wages whilst out injured). In that case, Ngoo got to be worth working on in the summer and let Sheridan develop him more next season? Erwin, I`d like to keep but I don't think he'll stay here. Taylor - don't pursue - average since he came back and Shez will find better value elsewhere.

Biggest things - a good keeper - and as someone else has put, more goals to entice fans back.

Not a difficult job, then is it!      "In Shez we trust"

I'm clearly a big fan of Holloway so a little biased, but if it's a choice between him and Ngoo then there's no contest in my eyes.  Whenever Holloway plays he makes an impact, Ngoo has something about him but has been more of a circus clown rather than anything else so far.

Disagree about Taylor too.  I wouldn't break the bank for him but I can see him being a very useful part of our squad next season.  Not to say that he'll be a squad player but I think we could use him in various positions and he'll still do a good job for the team.  As a winger I think he'll improve by being a regular in a team next season as well.

Guest davidshaw
5 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'm clearly a big fan of Holloway so a little biased, but if it's a choice between him and Ngoo then there's no contest in my eyes.  

we agree on this point bosh. The point I was making about Ngoo was to keep him as a back-up for when AHH is inevitably injured. If Ngoo then develops as well as Fane, for example, it's a win win.