The Chron today

There is an article in The Chron today about Dick Mulvaney returning to Boundary Park on Saturday. Great to hear and see some of the older players and how they are. Unfortunately Mr Mulvaney is suffering from that B--t--d disease Alzheimer's as is another Latics favourite the best header of a ball I have ever seen Jim Fryatt. Another good player mentioned is Alan McNeill and there is a picture of the promotion team with the legendary Maurice Whittle holding the trophy. Happy days watching them play.

Alan Mcneil was one of my all time favourite players...lazy at times but more skill than a lot of the so called stars of today....scored a Beckham from his own half in a mud bath at Blackburn before Beckham was a sperm.  He also scored a Worthington flick over the top and run around against Rochdale on New Years Day..too.  

On 18 April 2017 at 9:04 PM, Magister said:

Alzheimer's and best header of a ball probably not unrelated.....its a bit of a problem for football really and i am not sure how it should/ can be resolved

Funny you should mention that I'll be at the Jeff Astle Foundation Gala in few weeks.

There campaigning for more research into brain related injuries via football & links to other serious conditions such as dementia. 

On 18/04/2017 at 9:04 PM, Magister said:

Alzheimer's and best header of a ball probably not unrelated.....its a bit of a problem for football really and i am not sure how it should/ can be resolved

From my understanding of the potential correlation the design, weight and material of the ball have all been implicated. 

I'd guess the issue won't exist in 50 years for Association Football due to changes in the ball.

A lot of the research being done in the specific area is connected to American Football and other heavier contact "sports".

12 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

From my understanding of the potential correlation the design, weight and material of the ball have all been implicated. 

I'd guess the issue won't exist in 50 years for Association Football due to changes in the ball.

A lot of the research being done in the specific area is connected to American Football and other heavier contact "sports".

Rugby Union must be in a similar category?  .....and how props ' spinal cords and necks aren't routinely damaged is beyond me

1 hour ago, Magister said:

Rugby Union must be in a similar category?  .....and how props ' spinal cords and necks aren't routinely damaged is beyond me

I think Union will be there in not too many years. The amateur nature of the game until the 90s meant that the hits were significantly reduced compared to modern times.

Actually it's the Hookers who get the worse neck injuries as they can't always free their arms to cushion the fall.  But in 10 years time it wouldn't surprise me if we started to see front row players starting to develop some serious head and neck issues due to repetitive force rather than catastrophic force. (It's not unusual to hear about front row forwards being paralysed due to scrums collapsing).

14 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I have only seen the one study so I may not be basing this on a full and complete understanding of all the data there is.

There was a study in the US regarding football, as they have had a number of cases with American Football, they felt the same could be said for many other sports. The football results were inconclusive and based on conjecture, they got together some college students and had them head the ball repeatedly over 15 minutes or so and found that there was noticeable damage to the brain. The next day the brain had fully healed, so those in charge of the experiment said they had proved damage occurs and that if someone spent a career heading the ball they would indeed suffer brain damage.

They said it was the head movement not the ball, now there could be other studies which gives more evidence that there is a link. From that study I would say they are showing a lack of understanding about the sport, as players rarely spend a long period heading the ball. and there is usually a rest period after the game. Also they only had a small sample size and small sample sizes often produce extreme results that do not reflect the population as a whole. There is no doubt concussion is a dangerous thing, however, I have my doubts that merely heading the ball can cause severe brain damage later in life.

I could be wrong, and am by no means particularly knowledgeable, but that is merely what I read. In terms of the actual thread, I hope the club do their best to treat him and his family with respect, and those who remember him playing have a chance to show their respect.