General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, singe said:

I don't get how people are having a pop at Farron for not squaring his personal beliefs with his voting beliefs, yet are happy to vote for Theresa May to take us out of the EU,w hen she supported staying in!
C926d-rXsAA5xMm.jpg

She did vote to keep us in but it seems at the moment at least she's doing what a politician should do and listening to the majority

1 minute ago, blueatheart said:

In, out, in, out, shake it all about.

The whole thing was just mad. No planning for either eventuality by the Tories, Labour all over the place. Lack of facts. Wierd alliances. Just as it was beginning to stabilise it's all up in the air again.

I think a lot of people will switch off and not vote this time, which would seem to help the Conservatives, Iam sure they know that.

42 minutes ago, singe said:

I don't get how people are having a pop at Farron for not squaring his personal beliefs with his voting beliefs, yet are happy to vote for Theresa May to take us out of the EU,w hen she supported staying in!

For the record, I fucking detest Theresa May.

13 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

Who would you rather have as PM, out of the possible candidates?

I never have and never will vote Tory.  But, I think what you're getting at is that currently all of the options look pretty dreadful.  I like Corbyn, and I'm dreading the manner in which he'll be demonised by the press in the coming weeks, but he's backed (or not, as the case may be) by a party full of closet Tory career politicians, and as a result Labour as a party doesn't know what it is.  As for the Lib Dems, as discussed above, I won't vote for someone who believes homosexuality is a sin and who does not have a default position of promoting equality, nor would I vote for any party that was openly up for the idea of going into coalition with the Tories.

Just now, Stevie_J said:

I never have and never will vote Tory.  But, I think what you're getting at is that currently all of the options look pretty dreadful.  I like Corbyn, and I'm dreading the manner in which he'll be demonised by the press in the coming weeks, but he's backed (or not, as the case may be) by a party full of closet Tory career politicians, and as a result Labour as a party doesn't know what it is.  As for the Lib Dems, as discussed above, I won't vote for someone who believes homosexuality is a sin and who does not have a default position of promoting equality.

I am getting at that but I can't say I subscribe to the red Tory view. The question for the labour party is pretty simple, come close enough to the centre ground, ala Bliar and they'll have thirteen years of government or stick with Corbyn et al and re-live 79-97.

Personally, I see the Tories as more moderate then they were then.

1 hour ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

You shouldn't be allowed to hold any type of public office, elected or otherwise, if you believe homosexuality is a sin. You shouldn't be allowed on the parish fucking council.

Or if you believe in sins, heaven, hell, etc full stop.

3 hours ago, leeslover said:

I don't think a person's private beliefs should bar them from office. Wanting to enforce them on others through the law should certainly bar them from calling themselves a liberal 

Their is a big centre ground vacuum that they could fill with the Tories shifting right and Labour shifting left. I'm not sure if they are ready to fill it. I'm tempted to just put Bollocks on my ballot paper. 

I wonder who Vladimir Putin wants to win?

4 hours ago, singe said:

strong Lab/LibDemvoting pact could annihilate the right wing parties.

I don't think that's true at all, certainly not at the moment. The Lib Dems have always taken as many votes from the Tories as they did from Labour and if it became important the Tories would take significant chunks of UKIP votes. A lot of Labour voters would also eat shit before voting Lib Dem. I think that pact might deliver a bigger win for Mrs May.

Personal view is we have allowed fear and hatred to lead major votes, now we are left with a PM who didn't want to exit, yet is doing her best to exit at all costs. Sometimes to be a leader is to tell people they are wrong, and we have are people who want power. Labour are the choice for those who need support of the government, yet do not have a leader with fight or ambition. This will be an election based on Brexit, we will not come out from this any stronger. May is weak and incompetent, she has no views of her own and switch to the majority just to stay in power rather than fight for she things is right. She uses papers like the Mail to call those who do not support her and her party traitors, we are dividing as a nation, and rather than debate and agree to disagree we name call.

This election is a power play, she is playing the public and making it all a big game. She has been watching too much House of Cards, she will win, and we will be stuck with Thatcher number two. She kisses up to anyone she can think of to get a trade deal, but then threatens Spain with war? When people voted for Brexit did they vote to ruin the relationship with our neighbors or leave the EU? She is showing contempt to Europe, yet then bending over for Trump? She should have been this strong leader, instead she is nothing more than the worst part of that disgrace of a government in a single human form.    

My prediction as a former LibDem and now a UKIP supporter, on the sole issue of Brexit, is that the Tories will be the largest party with a majority but not the landslide predicted by the current standings in the opinion polls.

My worry, the risk May is taking, is that the unforeseen happens and the Tories lose but I think the benefits outweigh this risk.

A Tory loss would put Brexit in chaos and divide our country in just the way the SNP are trying to divide the UK.

A Tory win will give May the mandate she needs for the House of Lords, who as a body do not respect the outcome of the Referendum, to tow the line.  Farron will be returned with a larger party of LibDems who will then make more noise but who listens to them.  The SNP are in a no win situation - how can they do better than 56 of 59 seats?  They are likely to lose a few seats and have a smaller share of the vote which will weaken the case for another referendum up there.

Our country has always been governed best when the opposition is strong.  The SNP have a one track mind so they can't do it.  The LibDems are not trusted and don't respect the outcome of the Referendum so they can't do it.  That leaves Labour and sadly the nice man Corbyn has already proved he can't do it.

My hope is a Tory majority of 30 with the mandate to get us out of the single market and the customs union (we have to take our place in the world and not remain part of the inward looking protectionist failing European Union).

My fear is a Tory majority of 100 with Labour in even greater disarray.

My difficulty is can I bring myself to put a cross against a Conservative?

I’d love for the Tories not to be in power, but that aint going to happen. Best case, I’m hoping that as May campaigned to stay in, that she’s been stringing the brexiters along to reduce their momentum. If this was intended, then well done, UKIP don’t look like much of a force and they may struggle to mobilise in the six weeks or so.

She’s respected the referendum in that article 50 has been invoked. Hopefully she will stick a few things in her manifesto to suggest a more softer Brexit, if people don’t like it they can vote against them.

As for Jez, it makes me laugh that people are sorry for someone who wants to be the leader of our Country. The fact that he cannot bring his party together and has never been able to get on the right side of the media is not an excuse, it’s a terminal failure. Though perhaps his intention was never to govern, merely to change the Labour party.

As for me, i'm voting specifically for my local Labour MP Andrew Gwynne (son of John the commentator) as I think he's pretty good locally and nationally.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I don't know where the idea came from that May is Jacque Delors in drag. She was on the fence before siding with Remain, she probably did it for career reasons and didn't campaign even though her department was at the head of many key issues. Her party will destroy her if she weasels out of Brexit and she knows it.

14 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I don't know where the idea came from that May is Jacque Delors in drag. She was on the fence before siding with Remain, she probably did it for career reasons and didn't campaign even though her department was at the head of many key issues. Her party will destroy her if she weasels out of Brexit and she knows it.

Which bit of the party? You might have 20-30 true Brexit believers, and 20-30 true Remain believers, with the rest bang in the middle, blowing with the wind. This election is all about killing the influence of the true Brexit believers. She'll have 60 or 70 new MPs who, if they've got any brains (big "if"), will do exactly what she says. 

I don't reckon she's Jacques Delors. I just reckon there's a logic. She wants a God-fearing, law-abiding country who'll keep voting Tory. She doesn't want a declining country that turns to crime after falling out with the neighbours, with cars rusting on driveways and shop windows caved in.