Peter Clarke - Rochdale view

From their forum:

While obviously not condoning or seeking to legitimise any retribution one player may feel justified to carry out by the actions of another, Peter Clarke really does push it.  

Yesterday he picked fights all over the pitch, man-handled players with impunity (was a single foul blown up against him?) and had one of our most senior referees in his pocket.  

Many of us - including me - have speculated on the site as to why Calvin acted like he did (and it was cowardly and hugely disproportionate) but my views have altered slightly on seeing Clarke's subtle but nauseating 'gamesmanship'. 

14 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

from their forum ;

views borntogo

While obviously not condoning or seeking to legitimise any retribution one player may feel justified to carry out by the actions of another, Peter Clarke really does push it.  

Yesterday he picked fights all over the pitch, man-handled players with impunity (was a single foul blown up against him?) and had one of our most senior referees in his pocket.  

Many of us - including me - have speculated on the site as to why Calvin acted like he did (and it was cowardly and hugely disproportionate) but my views have altered slightly on seeing Clarke's subtle but nauseating 'gamesmanship'. 
0.gif

replytop.png rate-up.gif0

Rochdales forum is sponsored by John Smith's.  (bitter)

28 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

from their forum ;

views borntogo

0.gif

replytop.png rate-up.gif0

Incredibly subtle. So subtle that nobody else in the ground saw it.

1 minute ago, Magic Mikey said:

Incredibly subtle. So subtle that nobody else in the ground saw it.

I thought it was an extraordinarily professional performance by Clarke.  Instead of settling the score with cowardly violence he just got on with it and scored a great header.

Perfect response.

9 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

I thought it was an extraordinarily professional performance by Clarke.  Instead of settling the score with cowardly violence he just got on with it and scored a great header.

Perfect response.

Probably the perfect tactic, no doubt Andrews was always on the lookout for the leg breaker that never came

Clarke 's the sort of defender opposition and their fans hate, but wish they had, because he's a tough, no nonsense centre back. 

It's not a game of tiddly winks. You want your centre back to be a fearless, hard bastard, because at this level they're usually the most reliable.

Edited by PlayItLivo

He's good at niggling at people Clarke ruffling strikers hair and getting in there ear.

He does do it subtly at times but he knows exactly what he can and can't get away with.

His response yesterday was first class he didn't go looking for Andrews he got on with the game in his usual competitive professional self

Edited by GlossopLatic

Andrew didn't go looking for him either. Clark is a good defender there's no argument. And he likes to wind players up, fair enough. Like I said in another thread, Calvin is usually perfectly behaved. His conduct yesterday is typical. He had a mad (unforgivable) moment at the beginning of the season for which he was rightly punished. Ironically his cheekbone was broken after Christmas - he missed a few matches as a result. I don't know anyone who condones what he did to Clark. However he is one of Hill's 'broken toys' that has come good and has become a fans' favourite. 

34 minutes ago, Dalefan2 said:

Andrew didn't go looking for him either. Clark is a good defender there's no argument. And he likes to wind players up, fair enough. Like I said in another thread, Calvin is usually perfectly behaved. His conduct yesterday is typical. He had a mad (unforgivable) moment at the beginning of the season for which he was rightly punished. Ironically his cheekbone was broken after Christmas - he missed a few matches as a result. I don't know anyone who condones what he did to Clark. However he is one of Hill's 'broken toys' that has come good and has become a fans' favourite. 

Andrew didn't need to go looking for Clarke, he already pulled a dirty shithouse  trick in an earlier meeting no need to do it again.

9 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

Off topic but Ian Evatt on twitter blocked Ant Gerrard but sent him a provocative video calling him a fraud whilst downing a pint. This from a captain of a side thats lost 26 games and down. Clarke is a true professional and the goal sums him up. I hated him when he played against us as knew what he would give. As Captain here FANTASTIC. Rochdale would have him in a heart beat. I will put money on Dale being below us next season credit them with a good season but its happened before with sides having a flash in the pan season.  The fab Alan Howarth photo of Andrew appealing as Clarke wheels away will do for me. 

If Rochdale keep their squad together I don't think it will be a flash in the pan, they have quality in Henderson, Mendez Laing, Allen & Camps. 

If we bring in three or four quality signings early (not scratching around for leftovers) I'm confident we could have a real good go next season, squad in place for first day of pre season and it would make a huge difference. 

My shopping list would be as follows.

Keeper (assuming we can't do a deal for Ripley)

Couple of quality left sided players

Decent striker

A Jose Baxter type (hint hint)

32 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

That is the key factor IF.... but as we know Swindon are too good to go down on paper. Dale have built well on work of Keith Hicks. Hill fits them well and Hogans money will be a big help BUT better set ups than Dales have gone down. If Latics dont see themselves as being above Dale next season then its a very low bar and no disrespect to Dale either. We should be looking at a serious push and settling for anything in top 8 as real progress. Being in 15th to 19th in several recent seasons is it 6 or 7? has sent fans away. 

Why in any of the above which I found quite sensible would you think Latics should finish above Rochdale?

7 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

Good luck next year. but please dont try and give it large with the fanbase you have. Its no more justified than us doing it. Irony in yesterdays game you could have had the play offs in your own hands with a win. 

Giving it large??  Really?  Is it completely impossible now to have any form of debate with other clubs' fans?

23 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

I dont give a rats arse where you finish never have never will....Frankly no I dont as was caring for my dying dad for three years plus. Its of more interest why any Dale fan feels the need to be on an Oldham message board. So that is 3 good seasons in 30? ;-) Good luck next year. but please dont try and give it large with the fanbase you have. Its no more justified than us doing it. Irony in yesterdays game you could have had the play offs in your own hands with a win. 

I don't agree with the Dale fan's assertions about their own lot's views on Calvin Andrew's assault, but he's hardly been giving it large. 

Is sensible discussion with supporters of other clubs an issue to some on here? It's the only thing I miss from the old JKL days.

27 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

I don't agree with the Dale fan's assertions about their own lot's views on Calvin Andrew's assault, but he's hardly been giving it large. 

Is sensible discussion with supporters of other clubs an issue to some on here? It's the only thing I miss from the old JKL days.

Agree. The bloke is being far more reasonable than we are with each other most of the time.

We should still be pissing over the likes of Dale though 

2 hours ago, OldHallam said:

Off topic but Ian Evatt on twitter blocked Ant Gerrard but sent him a provocative video calling him a fraud whilst downing a pint. This from a captain of a side thats lost 26 games and down. Clarke is a true professional and the goal sums him up. I hated him when he played against us as knew what he would give. As Captain here FANTASTIC. Rochdale would have him in a heart beat. I will put money on Dale being below us next season credit them with a good season but its happened before with sides having a flash in the pan season.  The fab Alan Howarth photo of Andrew appealing as Clarke wheels away will do for me. 

Pretty sure this is the 3rd season on the bounce Dale have finished above us !

8 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Agree. The bloke is being far more reasonable than we are with each other most of the time.

We should still be pissing over the likes of Dale though 

I totally agree and perhaps for the first season in 4 we might in 2017/18.

If we do finish above Dale next year it will only be because they keep some of their funds in the bank as rainy day money! 

We are still the poor relations asset wise and money wise and could learn a lot from their business model

Keith Hill does lose his best players but has a knack of replacing them, you would back him in the transfer market. Lose him on the other hand and they could well be in trouble. Rochdale are established in the top 10 so if we finish above them then I would say we will have had a very good season.

Edited by GlossopLatic