Conor Ripley - Yes or No?

Piece from tonight's Oldham Comical....."And while conceding that Ripley will be heading back to Middlesbrough - though Athletic are "desperately trying" to get him back".

We must stand some chance in getting him back for 17/18.

Middlesborough have 4 senior goalkeepers:

Valdez, Guzan, Mejias (all contracted to 2018) and Konstantopoulos (2017).

Now it looks like the Boro are down so I'm guessing that whoever comes in as their new manager would look at their contracted keepers first to try and help them back up. That would, hopefully, leave Ripley possibly going out on loan again which won't be a Championship club so that should put us in a good position for his signature.

Lots of ifs and buts.........but I'm an optimist.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy is destined for the premier league. I'd love him to be back here, I really would but it feels like we are holding him back if we keep him another year. 

The only way we are going to keep him is if we show real intent for a promotion push in the transfer market to get him a bit of silverware but is that likely given our current predicament? Highly doubtful.

Thanks for everything you have brought to the club Connor. Now go grab yourself the career you trully deserve

In the Championship, Valdes will be off - probably to the MLS. Guzan is also off, which leaves them with an untried Spaniard, and then the best keeper in League 1.

I actually think Boro can save some serious cash by releasing both Valdes and Guzan, and simply giving Ripley the chance he fully deserves next season.

And good luck to him, too.

1 minute ago, sjk2008 said:

In the Championship, Valdes will be off - probably to the MLS. Guzan is also off, which leaves them with an untried Spaniard, and then the best keeper in League 1.

I actually think Boro can save some serious cash by releasing both Valdes and Guzan, and simply giving Ripley the chance he fully deserves next season.

And good luck to him, too.

We know how good he is but your comment pre-supposes the new manager will know what he's like. If Gibson brings in another foreign coach then he won't have a clue and will, more than likely want his own choice there. 

27 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

No.

The bloke is a brilliant goalkeeper. He shouldn't be playing third division football.

Eternally grateful for keeping us up but let him go prove himself at the very top.

21 minutes ago, philliggi said:

The guy is destined for the premier league. I'd love him to be back here, I really would but it feels like we are holding him back if we keep him another year. 

Jesus fucking Christ lads......

15 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He's also very good at ten pin bowling and a thoroughly, thoroughly nice man....

Agreed - Connor was amongst the last to leave - his attitude as well as his undoubted talent appears first class. 

On which note, Peter Clarke is an absolute legend. 

Nicer guy you couldn't wish to meet and fantastic with the kids. 

Hopefully he keeps playing for a little while yet, but if in the future wants to go into coaching the club should do everything it can to make it possible. 

Just now, Theoutsider said:

Agreed - Connor was amongst the last to leave - his attitude as well as his undoubted talent appears first class. 

On which note, Peter Clarke is an absolute legend. 

Nicer guy you couldn't wish to meet and fantastic with the kids. 

Hopefully he keeps playing for a little while yet, but if in the future wants to go into coaching the club should do everything it can to make it possible. 

Our next manager I reckon....

It goes without saying all of us would have him back.

What would be a tragedy is if he went and sat on Boro's or anyonelses bench.

Whatever you do Conor get yourself a number 1 spot somewhere next season your too good for reserve team football now.

Edited by GlossopLatic

It's an interesting one because has others have said it will be a travesty for him to be on the bench, but Boro would be mad to let him go to a rival. 

The worry is he'll get a chance but still end up on the bench mostly like Joel Coleman. 

57 minutes ago, singe said:

It's an interesting one because has others have said it will be a travesty for him to be on the bench, but Boro would be mad to let him go to a rival. 

The worry is he'll get a chance but still end up on the bench mostly like Joel Coleman. 

Coleman and Ripley in the same sentence? Chalk and cheese

Sort your heads out lads.

Teams put their young players out to gain experience and blood them, he's been progressed year on year.  Why hold him back?

The next natural step is the Championship and guess where Middlesbrough will be playing next year?  Ding, ding, we have a winner.

The notion that a 'foreign coach' won't know what he can do is also utter fantasy.  'Oh hi, Mr X, Y, Z, what do you know about our squad of players that you wish to manage?'   Reply; 'Nothing.  I know nothing about football, I just thought I'd chance my arm in this country and expect your existing backroom team to be equally as clueless if they are still about?'

where do you lot get your ideas from?  

4 hours ago, Grylls said:

Sort your heads out lads.

Teams put their young players out to gain experience and blood them, he's been progressed year on year.  Why hold him back?

The next natural step is the Championship and guess where Middlesbrough will be playing next year?  Ding, ding, we have a winner.

The notion that a 'foreign coach' won't know what he can do is also utter fantasy.  'Oh hi, Mr X, Y, Z, what do you know about our squad of players that you wish to manage?'   Reply; 'Nothing.  I know nothing about football, I just thought I'd chance my arm in this country and expect your existing backroom team to be equally as clueless if they are still about?'

That sounds like Darren Kelly's Latics interview.

6 hours ago, Grylls said:

A bit of cold logic for you, Grylls!!!

Gibson is going to to recruit someone who has experience of getting out of the championship or a foreign coach....neither of whom will have seen Ripley play so your dumbass comment above is a p*ss-take!!!

Is the new man going to listen to Boro's goalkeeping coach (Leo Percovich....WHO???) for advice when you can look at Boro in the Premiership and think this bloke coached Guzan and Valdez....WTF!!! And there is no way. the new coach will risk his future on a rookie goalkeeper who had a very good season at the bottom of Division One knowing full well he's stuck with him after the transfer window shuts.

At best, Ripley will be nr. 2 at Boro but more likely be loaned out again to a League One club so why not us???

We all think know how good Ripley is because many of us have seen him for most, if not all, of the season but it's a big leap of faith by his host club to promote him based on match reports and 15 minute match videos.

9 hours ago, Magister said:

Coleman and Ripley in the same sentence? Chalk and cheese

Yes only one of them has a clean sheet against Manchester City this season. Coleman has turned out 7 times for Huddersfield letting in only 9 and 5 of those were in the replay against City, I don't think he's disgraced himself to be fair.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes only one of them has a clean sheet against Manchester City this season. Coleman has turned out 7 times for Huddersfield letting in only 9 and 5 of those were in the replay against City, I don't think he's disgraced himself to be fair.

Very good young keeper who had a lot less experience than Ripley and did well when here with the side being chopped and changed

Ripley had a great season here at Latics and will most likely edge out Peter Clarke for the end of season pots. He's kept a large number of clean sheets in a struggling side that for half the season was sent out to defend lets not forget. Whilst I will heap praise on Ripley and rightly so, he is not by far the finished article and will get even better. One of the sides to his game he needs to up his commanding his area. He currently is a stay at home keeper by and large when it comes to crosses and the very best keepers snuff out possible dangers by being good at coming and claiming crosses.

If ever a season demanded a joint player of the year this is it. I'd be more than delighted for both Ripley and captain Clarke taking joint player of the year. Can we get Ripley back here next season? only if he's loaned out to league one in my opinion. That said if Ripley remains at Boro next season and not used I can see him knocking on the managers door for a loan move come January with the need to show case to get a move into a Championship side. So it's a maybe from me but unlikely.

Edited by Lags

Ripley has been fantastic I don't think another year would be holding him back, but Boro needing a new manager hinders our chances of getting him. The new guy will want to watch him in pre-season, and training, which as much as I would love him back we need a 'keeper before then. That for me is the first signing we need to make, that and a striker are our main objectives this summer.