Conor Ripley - Yes or No?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I don't really go along with idea that a keeper needs to be playing at a higher level, the job description doesn't really change that much.

Job description might be the same but psychological pressure will be increased. Bigger crowds, more at stake etc. 

Footstats tells me he's faced 210 shots on target and conceded 44 goals.

Say he gets in Boro team next season and posts similar numbers does that mean he's improved because it's a division above?

Yeah, the saves will be more difficult. Better strikers will take a shot half a second earlier, or place it an extra six inches towards the post, making saving it more difficult. 

Mentioned on here before - spent an evening with the Boro GK coach, and there is no doubt they are aware of the talent they have on their hands.

He was of the opinion he will play first team football in the Premiership, and maybe even internationally.

If he was still to be considered a loanee next season to a club below Boro - then perhaps he might end up back here, but I think that Ripley and his agent might start to push for a move away from Boro to another team in the Championship where he would play.

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 4:36 PM, deyres42 said:

I don't really go along with idea that a keeper needs to be playing at a higher level, the job description doesn't really change that much.

I'm not so sure. This guy owes it to himself to be playing at a higher level, testing his goalkeeping qualities out against a higher calibre of player/striker...

On 25/04/2017 at 4:36 PM, deyres42 said:

The job description of a striker doesn't change much either.  What an odd proposition.

It is if you think about it in such simplistic terms Dave.

Every professional footballer, one would imagine,  wants to play at the highest level possible. The job description as such is the same in Sunday League. 

Edited by Dave_Og

29 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Every professional footballer, one would imagine,  wants to play at the highest level possible. The job description as such is the same in Sunday League. 

Play being the operative word, is Tarky really happy breaking all records for time spent on the bench with Burnley this season? Not crabbing the fact he got himself into the Prem but surely some players have more of a desire to play every week above all else?

On 25/04/2017 at 4:55 PM, deyres42 said:

Footstats tells me he's faced 210 shots on target and conceded 44 goals.

Say he gets in Boro team next season and posts similar numbers does that mean he's improved because it's a division above?

Well, err.....yes. 

Are you not aware that strikers can shoot a bit straighter and from better positions that they can arrive at more quickly the higher up the leagues you go? 

19 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

The job description of a striker doesn't change much either.  What an odd proposition.

19 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I have to agree with this, such a naive way to view it. Regardless of the increased exposure and extra pressure and all that type of thing that comes with it, I think the increase in technical ability required to progress is on par with any outfield position. I'm not proclaiming to be any expert but I just think people look at goalkeepers, and largely, from a layman's perspective, they are judged on their shot stopping abilities, because that is what wins them the headlines. Of course in principle the job does not change too much in that respect; great finishes and the capacity to make great saves exists at all levels. Obviously consistency with this comes into it, but I think even in terms of technical ability, there are big differences. One, although I do think over hyped by Guardiola et al, is footwork and distribution- I don't think you need to be a Neuer but you need to find the big fella's head (or whatever may be required at the top level).The biggest difference I think though, particularly in terms of bridging the gap between the Championship and Premier League, is the quality of crosses coming into the box. How many times do you see great shot stoppers in the lower leagues who make great saves and have that same Achilles heel? Off the top of my head there was that lad Tommy Lee, Paul Jones who was Exeter a while ago and I'm sure there are loads of better examples. I think the key difference is decision making and the ability to command you area well and with consistency, rather than shot stopping. Good shot stopping seems to be a prerequisite for all professional goalkeepers. If a goalkeeper makes a mistake more often that not its a goal, whereas in the premier league will see these so called flair players playing up front and getting a 5/10 3/4 games. I think sometimes the difficulty of the role is underplayed and like at the top level of so many sports/positions, those who make it there have that mentality and composure that so few have.

Btw I think the chances of Ripley coming back are less than zero, I think in the championship he will definitely be their number 1. These comments about him being number 3 etc or a new manager never having seen him are absolute buffoonery. When a new manager comes into a new, unknown level, he is obviously going to rely heavily on his backroom staff, particularly those who have been there for a while. Otherwise they would fall flat on their backsides every single time, particularly in the lower leagues. Not wanting to go off on a tangent but I think they will go for a British boss who knows the championship this time anyway. But to say that they cannot/will not promote him to the number 1 spot based on reports is ridiculous- if this is the case how is anyone to progress as a loanee?! If the new manager is given glowing reports by multiple members of staff who have observed him and are respected at the club then more than likely they are going to put him in. It is the perfectly logical progression for him, and Boro have a tradition of giving youth a chance and are very patient by modern standards in terms of their philosophy. If they hadn't been in the premier league this year I think he possibly may have broken in this year. I just think some people seem to play football manager a bit too much! It would not be even remotely bold to put him as Boro no 1 next year; if he had been our player, at his age, and boro had signed him from us in the championship, I would expect him to be number 1 (especially given that the position is vacant)! I think because he was a loan player people assume he kind of reverts to where he was before in their pecking order when it is almost like a new player for them in some respects. He now has two full seasons under his belt, where he has excelled, with consistency. With the premier league this year it wasn't viable but he's a completely different proposition to two years ago. Also, his path was (partially) blocked previously because they had promoted another one of their own (Jason Steele) to first choice! 

Edited by HKLatic

On 27/04/2017 at 10:52 AM, yarddog73 said:

Play being the operative word, is Tarky really happy breaking all records for time spent on the bench with Burnley this season? Not crabbing the fact he got himself into the Prem but surely some players have more of a desire to play every week above all else?

I suspect that when Tarky went to Burnley there was a thought that Keane might move on sooner than has proved to be the case.

In sports science terms a number of skills that a goalkeeper requires and challenges they face are far more closed than an outfield player so there is a degree of sense in the assertion that a goalkeepers performance can be analysed more effectively at a lower level.

However ironically the key challenges that a goalkeeper faces can be inactivity, environment and insecurity about their role that they generally don't face in a struggling League 1 side.

Ripley has been top draw for us and will get an opportunity with Boro (Or Villa or any one of a number of Championship clubs who have looked at him this year). Whether he can excel at that level or above with the challenges and greater quality around him time will tell.

Good luck to him and as he has been fantastic for us I suspect we have been for him. Playing behind Clarke in particular must have been an education and the obvious respect between the pair speaks volumes for his potential.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:46 AM, HKLatic said:

Btw I think the chances of Ripley coming back are less than zero, I think in the championship he will definitely be their number 1. These comments about him being number 3 etc or a new manager never having seen him are absolute buffoonery. When a new manager comes into a new, unknown level, he is obviously going to rely heavily on his backroom staff, particularly those who have been there for a while. Otherwise they would fall flat on their backsides every single time, particularly in the lower leagues. Not wanting to go off on a tangent but I think they will go for a British boss who knows the championship this time anyway. But to say that they cannot/will not promote him to the number 1 spot based on reports is ridiculous- if this is the case how is anyone to progress as a loanee?! If the new manager is given glowing reports by multiple members of staff who have observed him and are respected at the club then more than likely they are going to put him in. It is the perfectly logical progression for him, and Boro have a tradition of giving youth a chance and are very patient by modern standards in terms of their philosophy. If they hadn't been in the premier league this year I think he possibly may have broken in this year. I just think some people seem to play football manager a bit too much! It would not be even remotely bold to put him as Boro no 1 next year; if he had been our player, at his age, and boro had signed him from us in the championship, I would expect him to be number 1 (especially given that the position is vacant)! I think because he was a loan player people assume he kind of reverts to where he was before in their pecking order when it is almost like a new player for them in some respects. He now has two full seasons under his belt, where he has excelled, with consistency. With the premier league this year it wasn't viable but he's a completely different proposition to two years ago. Also, his path was (partially) blocked previously because they had promoted another one of their own (Jason Steele) to first choice! 

You have your opinions HKLatic but:

1) This paragraph is absolute bollocks.

2) What happens if a new manager coming in has already decided before he starts that he is going to bring his own backroom team.....example David Moyes?

3) This experienced backroom you refer to has failed dismally in the top flight. The goalkeeping coach you say a new manager will refer to was responsible for two very poor goalkeepers so would you trust his judgement?

4) Based on what are you saying Gibson bring in a British manager.......it was a Spaniard that got them out last time.

5) As for promoting Ripley to nr. 1....why would a new manager, with an expectation of promotion and a chairman who is not shy in giving his manager money, put his faith in a goalkeeper stepping up to a new level. Logic tells me Ripley will be number 2 to an experienced keeper.