Latic's transfer activity this close season

Given next season will see Latics actually have more what I would call 'first eleven players' contracted than in recent times, what do we think will be our transfer activity?

I can't see it being anywhere near as hectic activity we've witnessed. Who would we like to seek showing the door and what positions need to filled to enable us to challenge in the right half of the table? For me we need what we haven't had in seasons, that goal scorer first and foremost.

Edited by Lags

Was just about to raise the question of players under contract for next season on a thread of its own...

"What is just as exciting as having John here as manager next year (and beyond) is the fact that we have 14 players under contract for season 2017/18 and everyone is a player that has performed so well from January and if we had to start next year with those players, we would be a very good side."

normally quite up to date with this sort of stuff but I'm not now for one reason or another does anyone have a revised list?

back to the original question a goalie and a goalscorer should be the first to items on Sheridans shopping list

11 minutes ago, Lags said:

Given next season will see Latics actually have more what I would call 'first eleven players' contracted than in recent times, what do we think will be our transfer activity?

I can't see it being anywhere near as hectic activity we've witnessed. Who would we like to seek showing the door and what positions need to filled to enable us to challenge in the right half of the table? For me we need what we haven't had in seasons, that goal scorer first and foremost.

On top of the obvious, I'd like us to sign a decent left back - preferably with a long throw. It's a position we have always seemed to struggle with.

23 minutes ago, Lags said:

Obviously depends on who stays and who goes, but at a minimum:

Goalkeeper

Left back

Striker (that elusive 20-goal-a-season man everyone wants)

After that, a central midfielder and possibly a right back. Sort of depends on whether we extend McLaughlin (I hope so) and keep Law, and if so what position Sheridan wants to use McLaughlin in. Wing? We'll need a new full back. Full back? We'll need a new winger.

10 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Obviously depends on who stays and who goes, but at a minimum:

Goalkeeper

Left back

Striker (that elusive 20-goal-a-season man everyone wants)

After that, a central midfielder and possibly a right back. Sort of depends on whether we extend McLaughlin (I hope so) and keep Law, and if so what position Sheridan wants to use McLaughlin in. Wing? We'll need a new full back. Full back? We'll need a new winger.

Would like to see McLaughlin further forward and Dummigan find last seasons form so the right side should be ok. Crying out for a left back/wing back. And goalie and striker too. 

Keep most of what we've got.

We'll lose a few (Reckord, Croft, Law, Kettings, Dunne, Flynn?) and probably at least one we'd rather keep.... Wilson or Green maybe...

Add a left back, a creative or box to box midfielder, sign Tope up.

Wilson and Stott can cover left back though, especially if 3 at the back is Shez's first preference..

I'd like to see us sign both the midfield and forward equivalent of Clarke. And I'd rather we got a 30 year old keeper who might stay for 3 or 4 years than another loanee. 

That would give us a great spine and a good mix of youth and experience. 

The experienced striker doesn't need to be a goal machine but moreso someone with a bit of nouse who'll create for others.. More realistic we could sign someone like that too..

If Taylor is affordable he'd be good for us over a full season. I'm sad to day I wouldn't push the boat out though from what we've seen so far... Although has he been able to get match sharp? Maybe not..

I think Osei will kick on next season and could score a lot of goals in a Shez side if he does. Him playing off Holloway could work very well...

Not as well as Baxter could though. I'd play him as a number 10 off Holloway if we can get him back rather than in midfield...

Interesting to see if Ngoo stays. If he's cheap it makes a bit of sense given Holloway's brittleness... I think we can do better though...

I'd like

Keeper or 2

Left Back

Left Sided Midfielder/Winger

A ball playing Talisman in CM or #10 

Couple of strikers

AND sign Brian Wilson up. Mr Reliable this year, I thought he was awful under LJ but he's become so consistent and everyone needs a steady Eddie in their lineup.

I'm not getting carried away with showing the current squad loyalty, they've scored 31 goals. That needs to at least double next season. Under Robinson too many played within themselves and hid. Yes the tactics were shit but Ripley and Clarke apart who stepped up to the plate?

Let's see what Shez can do and just because we've handed out some longer deals doesn't mean we won't wheel and deal if Corney/Shez thinks the deal is right. 

It's going to be an intriguing and I hope fairly mundane summer given the farce of the last two years.

No changes in manager

No Winding up Petitions

No fire sales

No other random shit storms

Just 5-6 players leaving and 5-6 coming in.

Stability and continuity are what we need. That way we can build on the chemistry, team spirit and momentum that currently exists in the squad.

Is that too much to ask?

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

No changes in manager

No Winding up Petitions

No fire sales

No other random shit storms

Just 5-6 players leaving and 5-6 coming in.

Stability and continuity are what we need. That way we can build on the chemistry, team spirit and momentum that currently exists in the squad.

Is that too much to ask?

Send this as an open letter to the club....

3 hours ago, wroteforluck87 said:

Was just about to raise the question of players under contract for next season on a thread of its own...

"What is just as exciting as having John here as manager next year (and beyond) is the fact that we have 14 players under contract for season 2017/18 and everyone is a player that has performed so well from January and if we had to start next year with those players, we would be a very good side."

normally quite up to date with this sort of stuff but I'm not now for one reason or another does anyone have a revised list?

back to the original question a goalie and a goalscorer should be the first to items on Sheridans shopping list

Here's Crusoe's list in case you missed it:

Edited by singe

Althugh Shez now has a very good record of getting players he did not sign  playing well, he has been on record a few times as saying he'd rather go with who he knows could do a job.
Obviously he has signed a couple to do that, but I think we might see a few more than we would expect leave, and more signings than expected.

Edited by singe

Can Stott play left back?  If so then I'd say it isn't that desperate for us to get a new left back in.

Keeper and a striker to play off Holloway are the key areas if all the loanees go back.  I'm interested to see what Shez will do with Banks as well.  Banks is a type of player that the squad needs but Shez might fancy his chances at getting a higher quality centre mid in.

5 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Can Stott play left back?  If so then I'd say it isn't that desperate for us to get a new left back in.

Keeper and a striker to play off Holloway are the key areas if all the loanees go back.  I'm interested to see what Shez will do with Banks as well.  Banks is a type of player that the squad needs but Shez might fancy his chances at getting a higher quality centre mid in.

I reckon Stott could play left back but it wouldn't be his position, he was done by a trick and a bit of pace by Mendes-Laing on Saturday a couple of times most notably for the goal and he'd need to sharpen up and maybe up his fitness to play there regularly, he would most definitely provide cover and give us an option there.

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Send this as an open letter to the club....

Well they do read this board and by the looks of the upboats plenty of others agree with me so Simon, Mark, Barry please take note.

The thing is sometimes I think they get too bogged down in the negativity of this board and think that we always demand us to go and win the league by Christmas and that we expect the club to piss millions up the wall chasing promotion.

The vast majority of us are abit more rational than that and understand the resource issues to a reasonable extent. We just expect to be run that bit better than it is. We don't necessarily have to increase the budget this summer to have a better squad come August we just have to make the right decisions.

Edited by GlossopLatic

56 minutes ago, steveecky said:

Just what's needed, another none scoring forward!

From my Dale supporting mate:-

"Unbelievably inconsistent 
And only got 65 minutes in him

At his best he's easily championship but at his worst he's totally irrelevant in the game"

"He's not first choice for us 

But scored some amazing goals"

I told him I'd seen on here Shez was after him and got:-

"Doesn't surprise me

Hills been on about players in the squad who don't give 100%

McDermott defo one of them"

"When he's in form he's outstanding though"