"ooh Connor, Connor - hope you get to play somewhere better than shitty little Oldham!"...

8 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

It's hardly like there would be no 'backing from the terraces' if the lad with the drum wasn't there.

We really have got cracking away support but it'd be good if we could get rid of the drum and try to make some original chants too. Hopefully the summer will bring that...

There's nothing to stop anyone doing that themselves, I can give or take the drum but on the occasions it's not been there this season the atmosphere has been a bit flat, out of interest has anyone had a word with the lads around the drum? If its ruining it for some of our supporters maybe a compromise can be made where it's not played constantly?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Taken it the wrong way peanuts of course clean sheets are a start but let's score enough goals to not be so reliant on them. Best form of defence is attack and all that a manky 1-0 is nice from time to time but 2-2, 3-3 gives the same amount of points as 0-0.

42 home goals...

2-3

5-3

3-0

3-2

1-1

1-2

0-0

1-2

3-2

4-1

2-1

2-1

2-2

1-2

1-2

1-2

3-0

0-2

2-2

1-0

1-1

1-2

2-1

not our greatest season in fact we stayed up on the last day yet we scored more than double the home goals we scored this season.

2004:05 under Talbot...

Why don't we just carry on as we have been since January it has worked?

We don't need many changes this summer just 5-6 in and 5-6 out at most. If we do that properly it could conceivably mean us challenging for the play offs.

Then create the thing that really creates entertainment which isn't goals it's wins!

It could work but needs have must over the last four months it'll be interesting to see if we could take our backs against the wall approach over a season. It's been effective but we need an out be out goalscorer AND much more of a threat from midfield. We drew TEN games 0-0 this season. We missed out on the play offs by 20 points. Top ten would be a start next season but 31 goals won't get us anywhere near.

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

There's nothing to stop anyone doing that themselves, I can give or take the drum but on the occasions it's not been there this season the atmosphere has been a bit flat, out of interest has anyone had a word with the lads around the drum? If its ruining it for some of our supporters maybe a compromise can be made where it's not played constantly?

My issue with the drum is that it totally dominates, i.e. you don't get that natural dispersion where fans all round the away end get stuff going. You'd struggle to get a new chant going with it there, imo. It's a vacuum for atmosphere, sucks everything in.

I'm sure the lad who does the drumming is aware that plenty don't like it. That being said, I probably don't go to anywhere near the number of games he does...

Edited by NewBlue

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

What's the fucking drum got do with my drunken rant? 

This thread has had more changes of direction than Boris Johnson steering a canal boat, with gorgeous women on one towpath and Michael Gove with his nuts in a vice on the other.

36 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

It could work but needs have must over the last four months it'll be interesting to see if we could take our backs against the wall approach over a season. It's been effective but we need an out be out goalscorer AND much more of a threat from midfield. We drew TEN games 0-0 this season. We missed out on the play offs by 20 points. Top ten would be a start next season but 31 goals won't get us anywhere near.

We do need more goals but all that would require is a few small changes. The point is is that we need some continuity this summer. A few incomings and outgoings, Just not the wholesale changes the club has become far to used too over the last decade or so.

Harry Bosch, totally agree. Or at least, I'm definitely on board with your view on things. 

Should at least be doing our best to convince him that with a respectable manager like Shez and a few top top players like himself.. next season could be a whole lot better.

Im currently in a similar position with the team I coach... my best player is thinking of leaving but not 100% sure, I'm telling him that with the additions we are going to make, and the weaker players we are moving on - that next season we could potentially win the league. (Okay, not overly the same - because don't think Latics have the chance to win the league, but definitely play offs with signings like Ripley) 

I've not once just said "you know what, ye the team you're thinking of leaving too are great, we're awful - go ahead and leave" 

5 hours ago, Flemboy said:

I have been to lots of away games which the home fans have said that we have superb away support which gets behind the team even when losing.Clarke and Shez and the players have also said so.That goal at Chesterfield was almost sucked into the net.

Shez, after yesterday's march:

“I would have loved to have won the game for the supporters who were magnificent today,
They were right behind the team and their support has been a massive bonus to us and they’ve helped us to achieve our aim to stay in the league."
http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/sheridan-praises-goalkeeper-after-equaling-club-record-3701086.aspx

I already feel very sorry for whoever replaces Ripley between the sticks next season. 

He will be constantly compared to Ripley and will be on a hiding to nothing. A experienced goalkeeper is required next season, someone with a calm head who won't let some of the fkn idiot supporters who can turn at the drop of a hat get to them if they decide after 1 game they aren't up to it. 

29 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

I already feel very sorry for whoever replaces Ripley between the sticks next season. 

He will be constantly compared to Ripley and will be on a hiding to nothing. A experienced goalkeeper is required next season, someone with a calm head who won't let some of the fkn idiot supporters who can turn at the drop of a hat get to them if they decide after 1 game they aren't up to it. 

Is that really at the forefront of your thoughts and day after this season's finished with, your right though we really do have some fkn idiot supporters.

44 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Is that really at the forefront of your thoughts and day after this season's finished with, your right though we really do have some fkn idiot supporters.

Forefront? No...

This a thread about Connor Ripley though right? Who played his last game yesterday and needs replacing...

3 hours ago, MAC0AFC said:

Harry Bosch, totally agree. Or at least, I'm definitely on board with your view on things. 

Should at least be doing our best to convince him that with a respectable manager like Shez and a few top top players like himself.. next season could be a whole lot better.

Im currently in a similar position with the team I coach... my best player is thinking of leaving but not 100% sure, I'm telling him that with the additions we are going to make, and the weaker players we are moving on - that next season we could potentially win the league. (Okay, not overly the same - because don't think Latics have the chance to win the league, but definitely play offs with signings like Ripley) 

I've not once just said "you know what, ye the team you're thinking of leaving too are great, we're awful - go ahead and leave" 

Shez says he wants him back and has asked and I hope we'll keep trying over the summer.

Unfortunately it seems a case of us only getting him again if he doesn't get a better offer and we'd be daft to hang on for him if someone else decent is available. 

But there are many, many keepers out there better than and more experienced than Ripley and, because of that, I don't subscribe to this idea that it's a certainty he'll get a Championship club or game time at Boro. 

Given the type of character he seems to be there's more of a chance than there is with most young footballers that he might take less money to be first choice somewhere rather than be backup to an established No. 1 he's hardly ever going to stand in for - keepers don't tend to get injured much. Can a young keeper really progress as a bit part player? If you're a young, backup outfield player you'll get plenty of chances from the bench and there are 4 or 5 you can come in for if you do well... Not so for a keeper.

But back to my original post - I've read and heard several people saying things along the lines of "we'd be holding him back if he stayed", "I'd feel a bit guilty if he stayed here".....

What next - will they not want us to "hold back" any decent player we try and sign in the future? Should we not bother trying to be better? 

If Ripley's leaving Boro, or not going to be playing, I'd like to see us push the boat out (within reason) to sign him permanently.

We know exactly what he's all about and he'd be a good investment in that he'll give us a much greater chance of getting promoted in which case he could be a Championship number 1 with us in a year or two or if he gets even better - which he probably would - but we're still stuck in League One we could get good money for him down the line.

Obviously if it can't be done, it can't be done and I hope he goes on to do really well as much as the next person but people having this miserable idea that we as a club are beneath a player makes my soul itch...

Edited by HarryBosch

26 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

But there are many, many keepers out there better than and more experienced than Ripley and, because of that, I don't subscribe to this idea that it's a certainty he'll get a Championship club or game time at Boro. 

Is there? He's the best of the bottom two divisions, and I'm sure he's better than many above, too.

He'll walk into a Championship side next season even if it isn't Boro

14 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Are there other young keepers with a similar profile who've gone for that sort of money? 

I think i know what you're saying and I don't disagree, unfortunately this lad is out of our reach for the time being though.

In the future who knows, certainly not guaranteed to go on and have the stellar career that some have got him down for.

Edited by deyres42

Me thinks he has already gone in his own mind.  

The drum is a problem for some in a shit hole like AFC Wimbledon - rather loud in such a small enclosed space.  There was a solution however.  Do as I did and move to the open terrace towards the corner.  Then what I heard were the droppings from the mice like home crowd against the fantastic noisy rousing support from 793, sorry 792 after he left, fans.

Bluddy Hell, this is a mixed up thread.

I'm with HB regarding Ripley insofar that Ripley, at his age , is an extremely hot (but still raw)  prospect and out of our reach financially.A lot of people are saying he's ready for the Championship but how many Championship clubs will take the view that, with their limited funding, they are prepared to spend over a million (as has been stated) to buy him.

I believe Ripley is on £8k/week at Boro and we paid a grand of it for his duration of loan. (Not ITK, but heard that a few times). He wont be wanting to cut his wage in half at his age, he will be looking for more if anything after the season he has just had. Whilst I would love to have him back, signing him permanently I think he is out of our price range. maybe another loan deal is possible, but Id rather spend less money on a tried and tested GK at this level and then spend the remainder on attacking midfielders who might actually create some goals.