Latics' Retained List

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'm surprised we took up the option on Osei bearing in mind he hasn't featured at all since Sheridan returned.

Out of the contracted players I wouldn't be surprised to see Flynn leave as he hasn't featured much since Sheridan took over. I hope abd expect the rest to stay.

I think both of them, Flynn especially, weren't what Shez wanted for the scrap we've been in. 

If we're playing more football and creating more chances next season though both could feature a lot more and do well. 

I agree it wouldn't be a surprise if Flynn moved on though - he must be a high earner...

I hope not though - 5 years in this league in a side that always finished way above us suggests he's a lot better than what we've seen so far....

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I think both of them, Flynn especially, weren't what Shez wanted for the scrap we've been in. 

If we're playing more football and creating more chances next season though both could feature a lot more and do well. 

I agree it wouldn't be a surprise if Flynn moved on though - he must be a high earner...

I hope not though - 5 years in this league in a side that always finished way above us suggests he's a lot better than what we've seen so far....

In a side with money we could only dream of that one of those 5 seasons they spent in relegation for a lot of it. I'd suggest he dragged the side down to the level they were at and the first season they get rid...hey presto. Ok, that's not ALL on Flynn but the lad just isn't a winner in my eyes. Happy to coast and put in a bit of effort sometimes. Loves the idea of being a footballer and offers very little to warrant trusting to be any better than he's shown this season.

I'd rather see him moved on (esp. most likely being a high earner for us) but if Shez sticks by him, let's hope he shows something like that Wigan cup game more than 2 or 3 times in a season.

Edited by boundaryblue80

28 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

In a side with money we could only dream of that one of those 5 seasons they spent in relegation for a lot of it. I'd suggest he dragged the side down to the level they were at and the first season they get rid...hey presto. Ok, that's not ALL on Flynn but the lad just isn't a winner in my eyes. Happy to coast and put in a bit of effort sometimes. Loves the idea of being a footballer and offers very little to warrant trusting to be any better than he's shown this season.

I'd rather see him moved on (esp. most likely being a high earner for us) but if Shez sticks by him, let's hope he shows something like that Wigan cup game more than 2 or 3 times in a season.

Harsh but true.

45 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Fucking wow ! Good post I agree with you. 

3 hours ago, Magister said:

Not according to Mr Corney he didn't.  To paraphrase him These were the players with the extra quality they had signed  before Sheridan arrived

You can tell Corney is lying how?

Just now, OldHallam said:

Got Kettings wrong on previous prediction but fair decisions Ngoo not delivered enough. 

Interesting well into thread and no concerns about Taylor returning to Notlob or bother Croft can go and put on weight. 

Who is longest serving now? 

Brian Wilson (if he signs...)

I think.

24 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

Got Kettings wrong on previous prediction but fair decisions Ngoo not delivered enough. 

Interesting well into thread and no concerns about Taylor returning to Notlob or bother Croft can go and put on weight. 

Well we expected Taylor and other loanees loans to end as they are on loan no ? Loan. 

Can't believe people were undecided on Law, bang average utility squad player... perhaps. 

He has been god awful at full back last few times I've seen him, so even when called upon - say if Dummighams injured I wouldn't be comfortable with him as our drop in. The position he puts himself in when 1on1 with a winger, jheeez. 

Good honest pro though so wish him well.

Edited by MAC0AFC

Shame about Ngoo. He's just not good enough, but he's one of a handful of players that has brought a smile to fans faces in half a dozen seasons. Just one of those characters we've not had for a while that you really want to turn out good, 'cause you really root for the guy.

I wish he'd had just one really defining moment, like a proper scrappy last minute goal to earn us 3 valuable points, something to look back on and say "Yeah, Ngoo was shít, but how great was that last minute goal against Rochdale when it hit him on the arse and went in?"

Ah well, t'was not to be.

11 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Shame about Ngoo. He's just not good enough, but he's one of a handful of players that has brought a smile to fans faces in half a dozen seasons. Just one of those characters we've not had for a while that you really want to turn out good, 'cause you really root for the guy.

I wish he'd had just one really defining moment, like a proper scrappy last minute goal to earn us 3 valuable points, something to look back on and say "Yeah, Ngoo was shít, but how great was that last minute goal against Rochdale when it hit him on the arse and went in?"

We'll always have that run away at Shrewsbury...

57 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

I simply mustn't have "got" the Ngoo thing. Thought it was all a bit cringeworthy tbh. No problem with him making folk smile but he was one of the worst players I've ever seen and I didn't want him near the team while we struggled to stay up tbh. Ngoo meet ball. Ball meet Ngoo. Ngoo is on the floor. That miss at Wimbledon 6yds out really summed him up. Not a clue how to finish it. If his surname had been Jones rather than "Ngggoooooo" he'd be getting dogs abuse for being rubbish. However, he seemed a decent chap who tried his best so I wish him well. Hope he forges a career out for himself and proves me wrong. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

10 hours ago, OldHallam said:

Wilson, as someone else has said. Of the currently contracted players (unless Wilson has signed already), Peter Clarke has played the most games for Latics. A scary sign often turnover in recent years.

18 hours ago, Crusoe said:

McLaughlin, Stott, Osei & Mantack - options taken

Wilson, Kettings, Green, Obadeyi & Edmundson - offered new deals

Law, Reckord, Croft, Ngoo, Knight & Dunne - released

About right, I reckon.

These 3 I hope definitely sign. WIlson is such a good steady defender and fits in all across the back line. Green will be good around the squad, but hopefully he will be only bit part. Edmundson has the chance to really be a saleable asset, however I thought he had signed a 3 year deal last season but must have been wrong! The other two I aint bothered about. Tope just doesnt have any end product, unless he improves that then he isnt good enough for this league, despite being quite tricky and quick. Kettings is a sub goalie and hopefully he will sign on a cheap wage and sit on the bench again.

10 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

He's one you can see popping up elsewhere and doing well but, he's not one we can gamble on unfortunately......

21 minutes ago, youngen said:

These 3 I hope definitely sign. WIlson is such a good steady defender and fits in all across the back line. Green will be good around the squad, but hopefully he will be only bit part. Edmundson has the chance to really be a saleable asset, however I thought he had signed a 3 year deal last season but must have been wrong! The other two I aint bothered about. Tope just doesnt have any end product, unless he improves that then he isnt good enough for this league, despite being quite tricky and quick. Kettings is a sub goalie and hopefully he will sign on a cheap wage and sit on the bench again.

I keep seeing Tope doesn't have end product but it feels like he's been involved in quite a few goals

As for Green, I'd like him starting every week, not just bit-part. He's good at this level.

31 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

I keep seeing Tope doesn't have end product but it feels like he's been involved in quite a few goals

As for Green, I'd like him starting every week, not just bit-part. He's good at this level.

Hes also been involved in a lot of Oldham nils

15 minutes ago, youngen said:

Hes also been involved in a lot of Oldham nils

Played in 15 games. 8 of them we scored in. 7 of them we didn't.

He's scored 2 goals in those 15 games (respectable for playing out wide in a defensive team against several of top sides we faced late on) and set up a couple too.

I think you're wrong on this one. If you feel like that about Tope, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on Holloway.

Edited by boundaryblue80