Latics' Retained List

12 hours ago, leeslover said:

If Wilson and Edmunson sign I think Gerrard will need to make good on his talk of a good preseason if he wants to stand a chance of starting games. 

Is that a polite way of saying he needs to not be fat as fuck?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Played in 15 games. 8 of them we scored in. 7 of them we didn't.

He's scored 2 goals in those 15 games (respectable for playing out wide in a defensive team against several of top sides we faced late on) and set up a couple too.

I think you're wrong on this one. If you feel like that about Tope, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on Holloway.

How many did he play out wide? Holloway offers miles more, and with someone with better finishing than Tope up top alongside him we would be scoring a lot more. Tope does an ok job, but I dont really recall him hitting the target except within 6 yards, and he is meant to be one of our most attacking threats. Better players out there definitely. Squad filler at best if we want to be a team in the top 10

10 minutes ago, youngen said:

How many did he play out wide? Holloway offers miles more, and with someone with better finishing than Tope up top alongside him we would be scoring a lot more. Tope does an ok job, but I dont really recall him hitting the target except within 6 yards, and he is meant to be one of our most attacking threats. Better players out there definitely. Squad filler at best if we want to be a team in the top 10

For me, Tope offered much more than Holloway did in the race to stay up (including not being injured all the time like Holloway is.) Holloway struggled to score at first during his first spell then went red hot before getting injured. This time he didn't score but held the ball up well at times. That's about it. Tope has offered much more IMO.

I also don't see Tope as a finisher but more of a Paul Warne style player that pushes defences back and opens defences up for a Porter/Erwin finisher to stick the ball away. Whilst chipping in with the odd goal here and there too. Thankfully, we have both for next season. If played correctly, they could be good folly for one another.

Obadeyi is quick, decent when running with the ball, left footed and can do a reasonable job playing on the left wing and alongside a target man.

If you can find a player who can do all those things and that we can afford then go for it.  If not then Obadeyi will be a useful player next year.

5 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

of course but no cries of sign him up. 

I'd re-sign him if he came cheap enough. I reckon we'd need Bolton to be paying some of his wages though so another loan deal perhaps? Before Taylor came the left side of the team was a nightmare. If we can find a proper LB then Taylor will be able to play further up the pitch and not have to worry about covering as much as he did. Of course though, I'm speaking about Taylor as the player he is now...not the player we had the first time that he was never going to be and people have unfairly compared him too.

Edited by boundaryblue80

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He only scored in one game didn't he? Thinking of Main perhaps? 

I must admit, I thought he had scored 3 or 4...just checked and he only got the 2 against Rochdale in the 3-2 defeat. Not as red hot as I thought :shy: He put in some good performances tho (just not as good as I remember them...haha).

I've not been as impressed by him during this stint however. Starts afresh for me in August.

Edited by boundaryblue80

18 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I must admit, I thought he had scored 3 or 4...just checked and he only got the 2 against Rochdale in the 3-2 defeat. Not as red hot as I thought :shy: He put in some good performances tho (just not as good as I remember them...haha).

I've not been as impressed by him during this stint however. Starts afresh for me in August.

I alluded to this the other day and he set up at least 5 goals in the games he played just counting off the top of my head. How are you not impressed by that, yet happy with Topes input?

17 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Many did the same and were saying he was championship bound last season ignoring his 2 in 10(?) record in favour of his hold up play.

Massive potential but this season is massive for him. needs to start hitting the net. I don't mean 20 a season but far more regular than he has

2 hours ago, palmer1 said:

For those upset that Ngoo wasn't kept and are not sure why Tope was...

Topeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

problem solved.

Racist!

edit - too slow.

Edited by oafcmetty

2 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

Is that a polite way of saying he needs to not be fat as fuck?

That's part of my message. Even if he's in shape I don't see him as a guaranteed starter with Clarke. We were desperate for a basic defender last time he came but not now, he's still poor on the ball and far from error proof. Even if he does start I could see one of the young lads making it hard for him to get back

Interesting thoughts on Taylor returning or not and at what wages? In his games this season fur us he may have filled a short but  seemed to be playing as if he was scared of the opposition. We ran a sweep stake on which minute (or half!) he would actually put in a proper tackle on someone. Seems to spend his time walking around on the pitch, especially compared with the rest of of his midfield colleagues. Shez kept picking him but interesting he was missing against Bolton.

Question is will he up his game / effort or not if he is with us permanently?

5 minutes ago, Chaddy14 said:

Interesting thoughts on Taylor returning or not and at what wages? In his games this season fur us he may have filled a short but  seemed to be playing as if he was scared of the opposition. We ran a sweep stake on which minute (or half!) he would actually put in a proper tackle on someone. Seems to spend his time walking around on the pitch, especially compared with the rest of of his midfield colleagues. Shez kept picking him but interesting he was missing against Bolton.

Question is will he up his game / effort or not if he is with us permanently?

couldn't play against his parent club

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:53 PM, astottie said:

couldn't play against his parent club

Know that guys, but was more making the point of how much better that side of the team functioned against Bolton without him. Bolton fans told me I would be disappointed with Taylor's return and they were right?

If all those offered deals sign then I'd say we need a GK, LB, 2 CM's (or one & Baxter?), LW & 2 ST.

For strikers I wouldn't mind seeing Main return & Proctor join aswell. We'd have two target men in Holloway & Proctor (feel this is needed with Holloway having several fitness issues), pace from Osei and general all rounder from Main.

Left wing personally I would like Taylor to return. Whilst not being great since coming back he did put some good crosses in which unfortunately no one attacked and made some good runs but never got the pass (can remember a few times when he would have been through on goal but Tope didn't pass once or twice). I think once he scores a goal we will see a completely different player. Also having a proper left-back behind him would help, some of his slightly better displays came when Hunt was playing. Failing that possibly someone like Martis/Botaka/Mavididi on loan for a direct pacey option. Tope would be able to rotate with them on the left and provide good cover & competition for right wing and striker positions.

Centre mid needs someone who is comfortable in possession, too often this season in midfield we have panicked when in possession. Baxter could fit in with the 3 man midfield system we've used recently. Then another who is comfortable in possession. O'neill looked decent at times however he never really influenced a game (admittedly slightly harsh considering his age and experience so far).

Not too sure on left backs (mostly because McLaughlin has made most of them look poor for the second half of the season!) and keepers.

Wages could be an issue however I'd imagine Baxter will be cheap, at least initially. If the keeper and left back were loans then that would lessen the wage issue a bit.

53 minutes ago, celliott83 said:

I keep seeing Baxters name mentioned, are we hoping, educated guessing or do people know something? 

Hoping. We are the only club he's been at that he's not been in trouble with!

10 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

Anybody got info on how well Baxter has being doing with Everton reserves ( or B team) these last few months?

He was banned for the whole 16/17 season so would he have been able to play for Everton's u23's? I'd imagine training is ok but not playing in matches. I may be wrong though.....