Peter Clarke, Cristiano Ronaldo & our big problem for years - bear with me...

Whilst watching Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid last night one of  the commentators or pundits said something about Ronaldo that made me realise what our biggest problem has maybe been for a number of years (amongst many, many other problems).

Aside from his natural ability it was said how he WANTS to take on the responsibility of being their main man & be at the centre of everything, especially in big games. And he usually comes through. 

It made me realise Peter Clarke is the only player we have who does this. Gerrard to a lesser extent. Gerrard can get pissed off and have a right go at his team mates if he feels we're being let down.

Like Gregan used to. 

Who was the last one? 

If we want to get anywhere we need more than one or two of these types surely... And we need some further forward...

A midfielder who demands the ball and wants to do something with it, a striker who'll go mental at his team mates if he doesn't get the service he wants....

Players who won't let their team mates get away with shitting out of tackles...

Fewer players who are just happy to go through the motions & do nothing wrong rather than try and make something happen, despite the fact that's probably how they're brought up nowadays...

We had a midfielder that commanded the ball when he first came through then, though shit coaching (Dunn, Robinson, Kelly) it was knocked out of him. 

Whenever Winchester was on the pitch he was looking for the ball. Prime example of that was the shambles at Lincoln. Granted, it wasn't his best game in a latics shirt but even after he cost us the first goal he was still looking for the ball constantly. I remember his first game where he scored the screamer (MK I think) and even on debut he was constantly on the ball, looking to play it around.

20 minutes ago, GravityGrave said:

Baxter was a talisman, took the ball in tight spaces , ran games from midfield , got us goals and assists and had the ability to get the crowd on their feet . 

A Baxter, Winchester and AN Other midfield would be a pleasure to watch as the amount of natural skill the two of them have is huge. Their only downfall is they're both a little lightweight when it comes to tackling so they would need someone with them that could put the tackles in.

6 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

The last midfield player that filled the midfield slot in the way you describe was Wellens.

Winchester.....I'm still shuddering at the thought that anyone could think he was the solution!!!

He did a fancy turn once, absolute baller.

Baxter and Harkins the most recent ones, although I think you can add Holloway to that list - plays with a purpose, always demanding the ball and bringing men into play. Can only be good to have Clarke and Holloway at either end of the pitch.

As for the former two, they were a joy to watch 

Edited by NewBlue

Think Wellens was the player who did it most consistently. He had that confidence and belief in himself that he could go out and take on anyone. Like Ronaldo you could call that arrogance, I don't mind that in a player big egos often win you games and certainly in Ronaldos case he backs that arrogance up with a freakish level of goals and big performances when it matters.

8 hours ago, leeslover said:

This is Guy Branston down to a tee.

Helps not to be shit with it.

Good example being the new look Chris Taylor we've had the fortune to see playing (moaning, whining, hiding are probably better descriptions) the last few months.

I think one of the issues with this is that as soon as this type of player makes a mistake (particularly at BP) there's a massive groan from the stands and it makes them think twice about sticking the head above the parapet again! Rather than it being coached out of them, it's us sitting in the stands that knocks confidence out of our players at times. 

These are the sorts of players  we remember 30 or 40 years down the line. Inevitably if you pick a best 11 from the league 1 era it will undoubtedly include well ensure Baxter clarke and other in this thread. 

However, while I agree we could use a midfielder of this ilk along side holloway and clarke in the first 11 I think too many would be detrimental 

12 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

I think one of the issues with this is that as soon as this type of player makes a mistake (particularly at BP) there's a massive groan from the stands and it makes them think twice about sticking the head above the parapet again! Rather than it being coached out of them, it's us sitting in the stands that knocks confidence out of our players at times. 

You're deluded if you think that doesn't happen at every other ground in the country

2 hours ago, ghostofcecere said:

No - I'm talking the types of players who rarely make such mistakes but if they do they quickly make up for it....

6 hours ago, NewBlue said:

You're deluded if you think that doesn't happen at every other ground in the country

Where did I say it didn't? It doesn't help player confidence wherever it happens. The likes of Peter Clarke etc. seem to be able to ignore it and get in with the job, others however don't have the same balls and will to win

1 hour ago, ghostofcecere said:

Where did I say it didn't? It doesn't help player confidence wherever it happens. The likes of Peter Clarke etc. seem to be able to ignore it and get in with the job, others however don't have the same balls and will to win

Apologies. I had assumed that when you said particularly at BP you meant it in comparison to other clubs's home fans, not home/away distinction.

The 89/90/91 team was full of players that seemed to always want the ball.

Good players, in a team with confidence and real self belief, generally will look for the ball.

The really great players are the ones that will do that when things aren't going well.  More often than not it's a midfielder.

I think Beckham v Greece in the qualifier at Old Trafford is perhaps the best ever demonstration of that I have seen.

Over the last 25 years - its not something we have seen very often .

Mentioned already, Sheridan did it - I think he saved us on his own one year under Ritchie.

Duxbury - another that was always there with his head up.

Eyres and Carss - together could control and take a game to the opposition.

Kilkenny - in his first spell, alongside Croft, had it about him as well.

Wellens, Baxter etc - could do it, but also went missing in too many games for me.