Thank Your Lucky Stars

Just read an interesting artical in the Times regarding Leyton Orient,Swindon,Hartlepool and Blackpool.All of these teams in deep trouble regarding finance etc In the case of Orient they could be on the way out of existance.It brings into perpective our owners and particularly Simon Corney.In relation to these and other clubs Simon has done an excellent job of keeping our club going year on year.Yes he has made some howlers in his time,but at least our club is viable.I just hope if and when a buyer comes along we dont get owners of the likes of those clubs and I include Blackburn in that.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon Corney has made errors but who hasnt but I for one am gratefull for helping us over the years from becoming like Tranmrer,Stockport etc and now have a decent stadium to be proud off.

8 minutes ago, forever blue said:

Just read an interesting artical in the Times regarding Leyton Orient,Swindon,Hartlepool and Blackpool.All of these teams in deep trouble regarding finance etc In the case of Orient they could be on the way out of existance.It brings into perpective our owners and particularly Simon Corney.In relation to these and other clubs Simon has done an excellent job of keeping our club going year on year.Yes he has made some howlers in his time,but at least our club is viable.I just hope if and when a buyer comes along we dont get owners of the likes of those clubs and I include Blackburn in that.

I love you Simon

1 hour ago, forever blue said:

Might be best to get in your fallout bunker, lock the door and do not look on here for a few days after this. Best wishes!!!

Possibly the worst owners going are those at Bangor FC. Gone from European football to out of league football including 2 relegations by the board deciding not to put the necessary registration paperwork in. The owners coincidentally have an interest in building houses in the area by the ground.

Why should we be grateful that we are not in the position of Leyton orient rather than disappointed that we are not Brighton, Swansea, Preston, Burnley, huddersfield. I don't get this mentality at all. 

There will always be very poorly run clubs just as there will always be well run and ambitious clubs. We are not the worst run clearly but our decline and year on year drop in attendances shows that we at the lower end of the spectrum.

I am not at all grateful to anyone for merely remaining in business 

31 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Why should we be grateful that we are not in the position of Leyton orient rather than disappointed that we are not Brighton, Swansea, Preston, Burnley, huddersfield. I don't get this mentality at all. 

There will always be very poorly run clubs just as there will always be well run and ambitious clubs. We are not the worst run clearly but our decline and year on year drop in attendances shows that we at the lower end of the spectrum.

Agreed.

38 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Possibly the worst owners going are those at Bangor FC. Gone from European football to out of league football including 2 relegations by the board deciding not to put the necessary registration paperwork in. The owners coincidentally have an interest in building houses in the area by the ground.

They only moved into their new ground 3 years ago, after their old ground was sold to a supermarket chain to build a brand new Asda. 

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

They only moved into their new ground 3 years ago, after their old ground was sold to a supermarket chain to build a brand new Asda. 

Yeah, they got relegated to help justify the move.

12 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Sorry LL got mixed up there, I thought you were talking about Bangor City.

Ah, I was confused too. The Bangor in Narnia built houses on land near the ground that was meant to sort their finances out around then but I  hadn't thought they'd moved

2 hours ago, Andy b said:

Watching Swansea v Everton tonight and the commentator mentioned the fact that Swansea City beat Hull City 14 years ago on this day to preserve their League status, whilst many are grateful for the intervention of TTA's it's fair to say it's been a bit shit since they rode into town making big promises but as fans we've been left with precious little to celebrate, I certainly don't thank my lucky stars that we now see a bottom third finish in League 1 each season as some forms of success but each to their own.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Watching Swansea v Everton tonight and the commentator mentioned the fact that Swansea City beat Hull City 14 years ago on this day to preserve their League status, whilst many are grateful for the intervention of TTA's it's fair to say it's been a bit shit since they rode into town making big promises but as fans we've been left with precious little to celebrate, I certainly don't thank my lucky stars that we now see a bottom third finish in League 1 each season as some forms of success but each to their own.

It's been disappointing, but I think "a bit shit" would involve at least one relegation.

That's the thing with these elusive new owners - they might be our catalyst for greatness or they might be our kiss of death.

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It's been disappointing, but I think "a bit shit" would involve at least one relegation.

That's the thing with these elusive new owners - they might be our catalyst for greatness or they might be our kiss of death.

Fair point but since the money men have gone we've effectively been on life support under our new owner.

'A bit shit' does not have to involve a relegation. Ten plus years of finishing, for the large part, around 17th place falls into my definition of 'a bit shit'. 

could have been worse, yes, but the vast majority of clubs haven't had it worse than us since TTA took over. Fact. 

13 minutes ago, Andy b said:

'A bit shit' does not have to involve a relegation. Ten plus years of finishing, for the large part, around 17th place falls into my definition of 'a bit shit'. 

could have been worse, yes, but the vast majority of clubs haven't had it worse than us since TTA took over. Fact. 

Definition of "a bit shit" aside, how have you measured this "Fact"?

I mean City and United haven't had it worse than us since TTA took over, but that's hardly a fair comparison..

Ok, opinion.

Comes back to the definition of success and failure, which is really a matter of personal preference.

absence of relegation is in no way a measure of success for me. Most (not all) teams that have had a relegation in the last twenty years have also had a promotion. That is a fact. 

Does one cancel the other out?

Not for one minute suggesting we would come back up if relegated but which is  more pleasurable as a fan, swindon's yo yo or latics' consistency? 

I know which fans have had a better time over the last 20 years.

personal perspective of course 

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Fair point but since the money men have gone we've effectively been on life support under our new owner.

Maybe we should be a insy-wincy bit grateful someone hasn't pulled the plug on the life support machine then.

Most football clubs are run by businessmen benefactors who fail to deliver or come up to expectation on a very regular basis.

We wouldn't dream of demanding more if a benefactor was keeping our head above water in our private life.

Being unhappy with a leg-up is ok but it doesn't attract investment into our club or influence success on the pitch.

Football has always been frustrating and achieving success is totally dependent on an investor. Stay well away from the life support plug - unless you have the necessary.

It's been a good few years since I felt as optimistic as now. An Experienced manager, an experienced number 2 expected, a few good players under contract that most of us are happy with and a genuine expectation it is top half for us next season. Corney may surprise us come January if we are sniffing around the top six.

1 hour ago, mikeroyboy said:

It's been a good few years since I felt as optimistic as now. An Experienced manager, an experienced number 2 expected, a few good players under contract that most of us are happy with and a genuine expectation it is top half for us next season. Corney may surprise us come January if we are sniffing around the top six.

And do not forget a 6 million pound addition that makes it a proper football ground again.

We have a platform to build on with our tidy ground and potential fanbase. This season more than any has shown what sort of regular crowds we might be getting with a bit of hope and quality (note the uplift in attendances towards the very end). 

we are more Rotherham than bury/Rochdale. You only have to look at than dale following 2 weeks ago. 

21 hours ago, Andy b said:

Perhaps the fan base has something to do with that. Leyton Orient's is low like ours. were as the fan base of Brighton, Preston, Burnley and Huddersfield is far higher than ours. Once the new owners realise this they decide to give up. They should however do their homework before buying a club. TTA nearly bought Hull before losing out and then buying OAFC. They thought with a town the size of Oldham there was the potential to attract far bigger crowds. It didn't work out so two of them walked away. Perhaps we are lucky SC stayed.