League One next season

Great thread and you can who is ruled by their hearts, and who by their heads!! Reality is we will be one of the bottom 6 clubs financially based on home support and backed by the owners so 17th is about our level. 

However maybe next season will be our time at last and with some luck along the way who knows....And as long as we beat the piemen and bastard rovers then I for one will be happy!!  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Reality is we will be one of the bottom 6 clubs financially based on home support and backed by the owners so 17th is about our level. 

Some clubs will do better than they "should" based on home support and backing from owners, some will do worse.

Some will do better than they "should" based on the quality & experience of their players and coaching staff, some will do worse.

If a broken clock can be right twice a day Oldham Athletic can get into the playoffs for the 3rd time in 21 years.... One year...

We don't need to strengthen in central defence for the first summer in so many years . We have at least two central midfielders with a year experience at BP and more than enough potential to improve (Fane & Banks ) .

We have Holloway who has the potential to be a huge force in this division .

Most importantly we have Shez who can get us playing attractive football , has an affinity with the club and can sign gems either permanently or on loan . 

Let's encourage the stay aways back . OWTB

I see Dan Gardner is mentioned in the Chron, not developed as I thought he would, but has the ability if correctly used.

Also mentioned is another

one of my old protoges Shaun Whalley.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I see Dan Gardner is mentioned in the Chron, not developed as I thought he would, but has the ability if correctly used.

Also mentioned is another

one of my old protoges Shaun Whalley.

Always rated Gardner very highly at Droylsden but Whalley is one I didn't expect to be operating at this level with success, even though he was clearly a cut above the level he was playing at back then

• 2 weeks later...

So Its Millwall that have gone up.

Truth be told whichever club stayed down out of Bradford and Millwall were always likely to be challenging next season, I don't think it will change the strength of the division particularly. I think the club would prefer 2-3000 Bradford fans as opposed to 5-600 from Millwall though.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

So Its Millwall that have gone up.

Truth be told whichever club stayed down out of Bradford and Millwall were always likely to be challenging next season, I don't think it will change the strength of the division particularly. I think the club would prefer 2-3000 Bradford fans as opposed to 5-600 from Millwall though.

Quality as well as quantity.

On 8 May 2017 at 11:37 AM, lookersstandandy said:

Season League Two winner Following Season
2006–07 Walsall 12th
2007–08 Milton Keynes Dons 3rd, Play Offs
2008–09 Brentford 9th
2009–10 Notts County 19th
2010–11 Chesterfield 22nd Relegated
2011–12 Swindon Town 6th, Play Offs
2012–13 Gillingham 17th
2013–14 Chesterfield 6th, Play Offs
2014–15 Burton Albion 2nd, Promoted to Championship
2015–16 Northampton Town 16th
2016–17 Portsmouth F.C. ???

And it's the smallest club of the lot that had the best success the following season

So with only Blackpool or Exeter to join us, we now have a clear picture of what League One is going to be like, having read comments since starting this thread.

1. Big club with healthy support and potentially more money (compared to us): Bradford City, Wigan, Blackburn Rovers (major ownership issue), Plymouth, Portsmouth, MK Dons, Charlton.

2. Smaller clubs but with more money and/or proven manager: Scunthorpe United, Fleetwood Town, Southend United, Doncaster Rovers, Bristol Rovers, Peterborough United, Rochdale.

3. Others, including us and possibly struggling or with major issues: Oldham Athletic (potentially in 2 with Shez but still doubt about funding and club management), Oxford Utd, Walsall, AFC Wimbledon, Northampton Town, Shrewsbury Town, Gillingham, Bury, Rotherham United, Blackpool/Exeter.

So my prediction for 2017/18 season:

Promotion: Bradford City, Wigan

Playoff: Fleetwood Town, Blackburn Rovers, Doncaster Rovers, Portsmouth

Relegation: Shrewsbury Town, Gillingham, Bury, Blackpool/Exeter.

For us, possibly top-10 finish but lower mid-table more likely.

Edited by Fyldelatic

So the final place for next season will be Exeter or Blackpool.

It's fairly obvious given where I live which one I'd prefer (I'll be in the Exeter end on Sunday), but what would everyone else prefer?  Exeter's rubbish away end but a decent crowd in the ground, or a local away game (and likely a good away following) but in a sparsely populated stadium?