League One next season

3 coming down nothing special, 3 going up nothing special, 4th team all dross (though Luton has loyal following). So do we have realistic chance of doing Fleetwood, who punched well above their weight but injuries at the season's end cost them.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the three coming down will all be competitive, Portsmouth and Plymouth both  have potential and the profile to do well again and Doncaster are back at about their level, much will depend on how we recruit but the division won't be any easier.

22 minutes ago, Fyldelatic said:

3 coming down nothing special, 3 going up nothing special, 4th team all dross (though Luton has loyal following). So do we have realistic chance of doing Fleetwood, who punched well above their weight but injuries at the season's end cost them.

How do you conclude that? Portsmouth and Plymouth have decent followings and the former is the subject of a bid from a wealthy prospective owner.

Portsmouth will get nearly 20k fans next season.... Bradford size....! Plymouth & Luton will get nearly 10k.... and B@stards Rovers & the Plastics have the infrastructure that their time spent in the Premier League during more wealthy times have paid for, meaning they're at a distinct advantage. Even Rovrum & Donny have shiny new stadia. Fleetwood are also awash with more money than us. Drunken Fergie opened their new £2m training facility about 12 months ago & they could afford to beat us to Holloway's original signing. As much as I'd love us to defy the odds like a Burton, I think a more realistic medium term ambition would be to avoid being a relegation scrap, with a decent cup run to raise some funds for another improvement the following year.

I also think if we can avoid looking like being embroiled in a relegation scrap it's a good step forward. Let's not get carried away and expect top 6. If we can finish mid table then it's a good platform to have a go the following season. I'd love us to smash playoffs like, don't get me wrong 

I think it would be doing Doncaster Plymouth and Portsmouth a big disservice to suggest they are nothing special. I would use the term resurgent to describe all 3. The 3 coming down Wigan off the pitch are fairly stable so could regroup and go again quickly. Rotherham have been utter dross and could require a big turnover of players to make them a force. Blackburn off the pitch are in Turmoil they could either do a Bolton or a Coventry depending on how quickly they adapt. 

From what's staying down I think either Millwall or Bradford will be there or thereabouts next season. Scunthorpe and Fleetwood could well be also but I'm slightly less convinced that those 2 will be strong compared to the 2 who have made it to the final. I also think the likes of Charlton MK and Oxford could all well be stronger and will have more clout than the likes of us in the transfer market this summer. 

That said a top 10 finish and even higher is more than gettable for us if we make 6-7 of the right signings. Their is always atleast 1 team that punches well above its weight.

Edited by GlossopLatic

11 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think it would be doing Doncaster Plymouth and Portsmouth a big disservice to suggest they are nothing special. I would use the term resurgent to describe all 3. The 3 coming down Wigan off the pitch are fairly stable so could regroup and go again quickly. Rotherham have been utter dross and could require a big turnover of players to make them a force. Blackburn off the pitch are in Turmoil they could either do a Bolton or a Coventry depending on how quickly they adapt. 

From what's staying down I think either Millwall or Bradford will be there or thereabouts next season. Scunthorpe and Fleetwood could well be also but I'm slightly less convinced that those 2 will be strong compared to the 2 who have made it to the final. I also think the likes of Charlton MK and Oxford could all well be stronger and will have more clout than the likes of us in the transfer market this summer. 

That said a top 10 finish and even higher is more than gettable for us if we make 6-7 of the right signings. Their is always atleast 1 team that punches well above its weight.

I think Plymouth will be the biggest threat of those coming up - am I right in saying Portsmouth, despite big crowds, are run very sensibly so won't be throwing money at it just looking to consolidate? Doncaster could be anything, good or bad...

I think of those coming down Wigan will be likeliest to go straight back up having done the same so recently. Blackburn are a basket case and I think they're more likely to go down again than go up :lol: 

Rotherham will hang around down here for a few years now I reckon...

I agree about whichever one of Millwall or Bradford that stays down doing well again. I think Millwall could get automatic next time whereas at Bradford McCall could do what he did last time and struggle to get them to kick on... I'd rather Bradford stay down..

Rosler might have got himself a shot at a bigger job again - I hope so as Fleetwood could stay up there if he stays. Part of me can't quite believe that though as they've been dogshit the two times I've seen them...

Are Scunthorpe able to keep spending o was it shit or bust for them this season? 

OK, nothing special was a bit harsh for those coming up, as promotion is an achievement over the whole season and not to be dismissed lightly. But we have seen it time after time that a team that takes League 2 by the scruff of the neck fare badly in a higher division, especially with defence with better finishers around. Portsmouth is an entirely different team that graced the top division not so long ago, with their financial turmoil, points deduction etc, and they are just beginning to put a decent, young side together. Plymouth I don't know well, but West Country teams rarely do well in higher divisions, something to do with having to travel a lot for most of their games. Donny are curate's eggs, good in part. Newish stadium and committed owner, but money doesn't buy success as they've found to their cost. Bouncing back in one season is to be commended.

24 minutes ago, Fyldelatic said:

OK, nothing special was a bit harsh for those coming up, as promotion is an achievement over the whole season and not to be dismissed lightly. But we have seen it time after time that a team that takes League 2 by the scruff of the neck fare badly in a higher division.....

Season League Two winner Following Season
2006–07 Walsall 12th
2007–08 Milton Keynes Dons 3rd, Play Offs
2008–09 Brentford 9th
2009–10 Notts County 19th
2010–11 Chesterfield 22nd Relegated
2011–12 Swindon Town 6th, Play Offs
2012–13 Gillingham 17th
2013–14 Chesterfield 6th, Play Offs
2014–15 Burton Albion 2nd, Promoted to Championship
2015–16 Northampton Town 16th
2016–17 Portsmouth F.C. ???
Edited by lookersstandandy

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

I think Plymouth will be the biggest threat of those coming up - am I right in saying Portsmouth, despite big crowds, are run very sensibly so won't be throwing money at it just looking to consolidate? Doncaster could be anything, good or bad...

I think of those coming down Wigan will be likeliest to go straight back up having done the same so recently. Blackburn are a basket case and I think they're more likely to go down again than go up :lol: 

Rotherham will hang around down here for a few years now I reckon...

I agree about whichever one of Millwall or Bradford that stays down doing well again. I think Millwall could get automatic next time whereas at Bradford McCall could do what he did last time and struggle to get them to kick on... I'd rather Bradford stay down..

Rosler might have got himself a shot at a bigger job again - I hope so as Fleetwood could stay up there if he stays. Part of me can't quite believe that though as they've been dogshit the two times I've seen them...

Are Scunthorpe able to keep spending o was it shit or bust for them this season? 

I don't think you are right about Pompey, they are in the midst of a takeover by the former CEO of Disney Micahel Eisner.
Of course, no guarantee from that, but I think it will take them onto another level. So far though, as you say, prudently managed by Pompey Trust.

Edited by singe

1 minute ago, singe said:

I'm a bit more ambitious than that, but know what you mean.

I'd take spending most of the season in the top half right now.

Finishing 17th next season might turn out to be a bigger achievement than doing it this season.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Finishing 17th next season might turn out to be a bigger achievement than doing it this season.

Again, I totally see where you are coming from. However, with losing significant chunck of the season ticket money before June, losing shez, only having a handful of players, and having Steve Robinson in charge I think that history will show was a bigger miracle.

We have Shez in charge, I believe we paid off the winding up already (I totally accept it may not be true of course) we've not given away so much season ticket money we have a spine of a team doing a full  pre season, Gerrard pre seaon and released the right players. I'm more, but very cautiously, optimistic than for quite a few years.

This thread makes sense except if you look at Sheridan's combined record over the last 2 seasons.....we are basically saying that his record over a single season will be worse than the 2 halfs combined.....maybe that's true as the backs to the wall / siege mentality won't apply but on the other hand his record also includes 4-5 games at the end of the season that were in effect dead rubbers.

50 minutes ago, singe said:

I'm a bit more ambitious than that, but know what you mean.

I'd take spending most of the season in the top half right now.

It's a straight choice of have a nice little side that does well up to Xmas and then take them to the dogs, try to sign a highly controversial then-convicted rapist, let loan players go back to their clubs early etc. to save costs, fail to sign anyone (without extreme controversy) that improves the side, or simply take the compo and allow the manager to go...all leading to the wheels dropping off so badly we slide near to relegation spots.

Or start out the season unable to score, looking weak and at times clueless. Sit rooted in relegation for a good while and at the turn of the year sack the manager and hope the new appointment can get a tune of the shit-tip that's been left behind. Throw a little bit of money (to be recouped through early ST sales for the following season) to get in adequate players to pull us narrowly over the safety line.

I prefer scenario 1 to scenario 2...which I think we will have next season. Look like a top half of the table team and slide away in the 2nd half of the season. Provided Shez doesn't do this summer what he did last summer (I don't see that happening.)

Edited by boundaryblue80

24 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

This thread makes sense except if you look at Sheridan's combined record over the last 2 seasons.....we are basically saying that his record over a single season will be worse than the 2 halfs combined.....maybe that's true as the backs to the wall / siege mentality won't apply but on the other hand his record also includes 4-5 games at the end of the season that were in effect dead rubbers.

Agree, No guarantee Shez will be able to get them fired up without a backs against the wall situation. Can he do it on a cold Tuesday in October?.. :D

There is quite a bit of hope he can.

18 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

....Throw a little bit of money (to be recouped through early ST sales for the following season) to get in adequate players to pull us narrowly over the safety line.

If indeed this is what we've done this season, firstly via necaru and then via next season's season ticket money, it highlights the need for a decent cup run(s) for us not to have to tighten the purse strings in early 2018, thus making said wheels fall off......

1 hour ago, Fyldelatic said:

OK, nothing special was a bit harsh for those coming up, as promotion is an achievement over the whole season and not to be dismissed lightly. But we have seen it time after time that a team that takes League 2 by the scruff of the neck fare badly in a higher division, especially with defence with better finishers around. Portsmouth is an entirely different team that graced the top division not so long ago, with their financial turmoil, points deduction etc, and they are just beginning to put a decent, young side together. Plymouth I don't know well, but West Country teams rarely do well in higher divisions, something to do with having to travel a lot for most of their games. Donny are curate's eggs, good in part. Newish stadium and committed owner, but money doesn't buy success as they've found to their cost. Bouncing back in one season is to be commended.

I'm not so sure about either of those theories to be honest. Some can struggle when they come up but in the last 4 years both Burton and Rotherham have gained successive promotions. Some clubs get promoted and start to build momentum I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the automaticly promoted clubs have a go for the top 6 next season.

I'm not sure about your west country theory either Bristol City have been promoted atleast 3 times from league 1 since we have been in this division including winning it in 2015. It also didn't stop Plymouth winning the division in 2004 either. Even Yeovil got promoted in 2013.

All this ofcourse doesn't mean that we shouldn't be trying to compete with them on the pitch abd reach higher than we have done in previous seasons. But if we do that it will be down to what we do this summer rather than some apparent drop in standards in this league.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I'm telling myself we'll be fine under Shez, but this league will be competitive next season and I'm inclined to agree

You look at the list of clubs and it's hard to muster 6 teams you know for sure will be down there battling 

the division will be a fair bit tougher next year. I think you are giving the 3 promoted teams a disservice there as i expect all of them to be clear of the bottom 4. Wigan will not have the prem cash this time so wont be as strong but still come down with decent team for this level if they can keep it together. blackburn depends on what happens behind the scenes, either promotion or relegation. I'd be happy with a top half finish. teams we should finish above for me are gillingham, northampton, bury, shrewsbury, wimbledon. i expect us to be in and around rochdale, walsall, peterborough, fleetwood in mid table