Checkatrade Trophy

Sorry if this has already been posted, however it seems the club have decided to vote in favour of the same format as last year.

I can't remember if we were invited to cast our votes on what format we would prefer going forward, but if it's remotely close to what's happened at Notts County then it's a disgrace.

County fans were asked to vote for their preference - only 5% voted to keep it the same as last year - yet their 'fishul this morning has confirmed that not only did the club decide to stick with last year's format, but they manipulated the fans' votes to make it appear that 50% were in favour of retaining the competition in the calendar (but conveniently ignoring the fact that 95% wanted nothing to do with B teams).

From our POV, I can understand to an extent how appealing the additional prize money would be to Corney et al, however I'd also like to think that they would consider the fans' views on the competition in general (I know, very naive of me) and in particular the low numbers not only at BP but at pretty much every ground in the country.

You would have to think Shez has been told to take this competition seriously next season - otherwise what's the point in committing to it on the basis of additional prize money?

Edited by sjk2008

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

You would have to think Shez has been told to take this competition seriously next season.....

....we should take it seriously every year.... any money generated could help increase the budget for the following season...... and/or avoid us having to partake in loans or be served with winding up orders.

The short term approach to this trophy and B teams by lower league clubs is baffling. Grab a bit more money now, even though you've just opened the door for B teams of Prem clubs which will be a stepping stone to inclusion in the league and ultimately the demise of lower league football. Another example of greed ruining the "sport" and enhancing its moves into a marketing and business industry

17 minutes ago, youngen said:

The short term approach to this trophy and B teams by lower league clubs is baffling. Grab a bit more money now, even though you've just opened the door for B teams of Prem clubs which will be a stepping stone to inclusion in the league and ultimately the demise of lower league football. Another example of greed ruining the "sport" and enhancing its moves into a marketing and business industry

Indeed. And then they will be crying about SKY TV, players wages and agents fees ruining the game. While begging "please, please, please can we have a couple of pieces of silver while we move way for your B teams."

Edited by boundaryblue80

Other clubs

Voting for current set up, with Prem B Teams again

Latics

Notts County. Fans claiming poll showed opposite, Chairman claims not.

Wycombe

Voting for reverting to  straight 48 team Knock Out, No B Teams

Chesterfield

Oxford

Blackpool

Voting for reverting to  48 team group stage then knckout, No B Teams

Walsall

Edited by singe

17 minutes ago, singe said:

Other clubs

Voting for current set up, with Prem B Teams again

Oxford

Latics

Notts County. Fans claiming poll showed opposite, Chairman claims not.

Voting for reverting to  straight 48 team Knock Out, No B Teams

Chesterfield

Are you sure? The Oxford chairman said they wouldn't.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/15271152.Darryl_Eales__Oxford_United_will_vote_for_return_to_48_team_Trophy_format_despite_financial_risks/?ref=rss 

I think a lot of fans (myself included) aren't overly arsed about B teams being included in the cup. It's just a case that football league clubs need to keep reiterating and be strong on the fact that we don't ever want them setting foot in our league system.

Disappointed with the club (and any other clubs who voted in favour) on this. Yes money is welcome but such short term thinking could prove the lower leagues downfall in years to come as others on here have well explained.

4 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

Sorry if this has already been posted, however it seems the club have decided to vote in favour of the same format as last year.

I can't remember if we were invited to cast our votes on what format we would prefer going forward, but if it's remotely close to what's happened at Notts County then it's a disgrace.

County fans were asked to vote for their preference - only 5% voted to keep it the same as last year - yet their 'fishul this morning has confirmed that not only did the club decide to stick with last year's format, but they manipulated the fans' votes to make it appear that 50% were in favour of retaining the competition in the calendar (but conveniently ignoring the fact that 95% wanted nothing to do with B teams).

From our POV, I can understand to an extent how appealing the additional prize money would be to Corney et al, however I'd also like to think that they would consider the fans' views on the competition in general (I know, very naive of me) and in particular the low numbers not only at BP but at pretty much every ground in the country.

You would have to think Shez has been told to take this competition seriously next season - otherwise what's the point in committing to it on the basis of additional prize money?

We were asked to give our opinion in an article on the official site containing an email link. These were probably not even looked at by the club.

4 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

....we should take it seriously every year.... any money generated could help increase the budget for the following season...... and/or avoid us having to partake in loans or be served with winding up orders.

The club claim to have made £35000 from the competition last season, and could possibly make £90000 this season if they get to the same stage of the competition. This totally ignores the cost of putting the games on and appearance money for the players. It also ignores the cost of players being injured,  booked or sent off, which will be detrimental to league campaign.

Edited by al_bro

7 minutes ago, al_bro said:

The club claim to have made £35000 from the competition last season, and could possibly make £90000 this season if they get to the same stage of the competition. This totally ignores the cost of putting the games on and appearance money for the players. It also ignores the cost of players being injured,  booked or sent off, which will be detrimental to league campaign.

....go on then, humour me.... show me how the 'cost' of those games is too much to warrant generating even the 35k, let alone the £90k?

As for injuries, suspensions and even fatigue..... I'd say your argument warrants consideration only in an environment where we are pushing from promotion..... which we haven't done for a decade.

4 hours ago, youngen said:

Happy to take our 700k solidarity payment from the greedy league next season as our share of the TV deals they have managed to secure or shall we send that back to them as we don't want their dirty money?

Prem clubs will ultimately do what they want so I don't really get the issue with them wanting the chance to blood some of their youngsters in a competition that 90% didn't give a flying fuck about to start with, we need all the help we can get we are in no position to turn down good money when we can't afford to pay 20k tax bills.

All the nonsense peddled with regards to Prem teams wanting B teams included in the League structure has absolutely no foundation and the FL has already stated it will not happen.

Edited by yarddog73

Premier league clubs should be booted out of the EFL cup, given they are not in the EFL that seems reasonable to me. The lower league trophy should be scrapped and the EFL cup would become a reasonably prestigious cup that lower league clubs would have a chance in. Also solves PL fixture congestion 

To solve the issue of young players not getting a chance at PL clubs I see no reason why they couldn't structure a genuinely competitive reserve competition.

If the EFL (still hate that branding) are prepared to allow the Premier League U23s into their cup because the club's will vote for it with the chance to win up to a couple of hundred extra grand, how does it not follow that B teams will ultimately be invited into the league?

If the Premier League offered all Lge 1 & 2 clubs say £1m a year to allow B teams in, they will get in. The club's are showing now that heritage has a price.

44 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

If the EFL (still hate that branding) are prepared to allow the Premier League U23s into their cup because the club's will vote for it with the chance to win up to a couple of hundred extra grand, how does it not follow that B teams will ultimately be invited into the league?

If the Premier League offered all Lge 1 & 2 clubs say £1m a year to allow B teams in, they will get in. The club's are showing now that heritage has a price.

You can close the thread now......this iS the answer

On 09/05/2017 at 4:14 PM, deyres42 said:

B teams in league will never happen.

Ridiculous statement.

Here is the FA response to the Accrington Stanley Chairman's comments. They are just going to do what they want, and the FL is suppine.

Edited by singe

13 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

To solve the issue of young players not getting a chance at PL clubs I see no reason why they couldn't structure a genuinely competitive reserve competition.

Was talking through this with someone yesterday. Why don't they have a proper league? Always though the they should do what the NRL do in Oz and put the reserves on the pitch before the main game, probably get a few thousand in at the big clubs, the youngsters will get used to playing in a big stadium etc.

Still personally against this comp and won't go to a game even the final if we make it, people going on saying if we win a few it helps the bank balance....If we win 2 games that's c. £40k, I would rather us not give soneone like Croft a contract last year and saved £40k that way and not enter this shambles.

14 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Happy to take our 700k solidarity payment from the greedy league next season as our share of the TV deals they have managed to secure or shall we send that back to them as we don't want their dirty money?

Prem clubs will ultimately do what they want so I don't really get the issue with them wanting the chance to blood some of their youngsters in a competition that 90% didn't give a flying fuck about to start with, we need all the help we can get we are in no position to turn down good money when we can't afford to pay 20k tax bills.

All the nonsense peddled with regards to Prem teams wanting B teams included in the League structure has absolutely no foundation and the FL has already stated it will not happen.

In 10 years time when Stoke are still playing Charlie Adam and Peter Crouch in their B teams, alongside 50 foreign kids and no English kids, and its considered a success by football league and B teams are invited into the 3rd and 4th tier of English football, Oldham Athletic will then be competing against all of the current clubs with money, plus all of the B teams with money.  Its no longer a sport, and it becomes a business even more so than it already is and us as fans watch a team that's not able to challenge even more so than we cant do now. Whats fun about supporting that?

You talk as though we wouldn't get any money for converting back to the original format, which we were perfectly capable of sustaining ourselves on for years before. We would.