Checkatrade Trophy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, singe said:

Not if the clubs themselves vote for it.

I appreciate your clarification, and your reasons for it not happening are why many are opposing it.  Many believe those reasons will be ignored for the immediate £'s gained.

Five of the 'big' six didn't want in to this competition, won't even get off the ground if they don't want to join league regardless of the readies on the table.

I could see a scenario whereby entry to the cup becomes compulsory as some sort of form of condition for keeping academy status.

27 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Five of the 'big' six didn't want in to this competition, won't even get off the ground if they don't want to join league regardless of the readies on the table.

I could see a scenario whereby entry to the cup becomes compulsory as some sort of form of condition for keeping academy status.

Did you miss all these discussions last summer?

The big six didn't go for this tournament this time because they are usually in Europe and it has become the norm for them to use the League Cup to play their kids in. They also didn't say no when asked, they said they wanted to see how the tournament did.

Edited by boundaryblue80

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Lawsuits ahoy in that scenario.

I know we are talking in hypotheticals but limited/no promotions or relegations for them but for us kills it stone dead.

What if they get bored of it after a year? Can they just drop out?

You would expect they would sign up to a minimum term of, say, ten years.

2 hours ago, Latics and England said:

If it was really simplistic, in that:

• Ten teams as selected by the Premier League (both Manchester clubs, both Merseyside clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle, West Ham & Southampton) are invited to enter a new League 3 along with the top 14 from the Conference
  • League 3 is simply added to the pyramid between Lge 2 and the Conference
  • Relegation and promotion is unchanged except that the B Teams cannot be relegated from Lge 3 or promoted from Lge 1
  • Lge 1 solidarity payments to each club increase by £1m per year
  • Lge 2 solidarity payments to each club increase by £0.75m per year
  • Lge 3 clubs get solidarity payments of £0.5m per year

How do you think that Simon Corney would vote (taking him as a fairly standard owner at our level)?

Although simplistic, this seems a realistic offer to me. It would only cost the Premier League £54m per year or alternatively £5.4m per club if paid for by the 10 invited clubs. This is an absolute drop in the ocean for them but would be enough to turn the heads of enough clubs to make it viable. You could double it if you wanted, still nothing significant for the Premier League but way too much for most lower league chairmen to turn down.

Even if a club like us realised that this could very quickly lead to relegation if the B Teams were competitive, we would simply see that we would still be £750k better off than by not taking the deal.

What's stopping them doing that now then if it's what they are really after?

How many of them who are so keen on the idea took their place in last season's Checkatrade? From what I remember the big clubs dropped out like flies.

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

What's stopping them doing that now then if it's what they are really after?

How many of them who are so keen on the idea took their place in last season's Checkatrade? From what I remember the big clubs dropped out like flies.

They didn't say no, just declined to take part...

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

They may have not joined this competition, this year, but if the oppportunity to have B Teams in the Football League happened they'd be a lot keener. They are happy to play the long game IMHO.

It's very hard to see where this may end up.

I don't think anyone is pleased to see B teams in the competition, and there is no doubt that you can argue it's the "thin edge of the wedge" and that money can buy a lot more influence than we'd like.

Then there is the fact that the Premiership has loads of cash, lower league teams are desperate for it.

And the then the adage that players develop better in genuinely competitive games - no amount of reserve football compares to games that count.

Finally, the mere fact that B teams in the league format is a point of discussion, means that it's at least being considered at some level.

It would be a siesmeic shift, akin to the formation of the PremierLeague, and would undoubtedly change our game.

But there are lots of reasons why it wouldn't work - Premiership "fans" would never see it as a true representation of their club and therefore follow it and (more importantly) spend money to watch it on TV etc.  I felt anything for reserve games when we had them.  Therefore is there money in it?  If not, it will fail.

30 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

But there are lots of reasons why it wouldn't work - Premiership "fans" would never see it as a true representation of their club and therefore follow it and (more importantly) spend money to watch it on TV etc.  I felt anything for reserve games when we had them.  Therefore is there money in it?  If not, it will fail.

Agree with that post. I may add to this bit though that I think the Premier League clubs would already know there's not much money it for them, beyond the development of players for their 1st teams or selling them on for profit, so I dont think this would be a consideration for them. 

Hypothetically if this is what the greedy league and FA are going to try at some point, to try and get B teams in the league structure, I can't help feel the whole thing is self-defeating. Obviously the main reason for them wanting this is to test their kids in a much more intense environment than they currently get. However that intensity would gradually erode over time as people would stop giving a shit. So you would end up with something no one wants. I cant understand the wish to mess with probably the best league structure in the world for something that would fail in the long run (sure i've read the German leagues are thinking of scrapping their B teams as they no longer see a benefit). Feel free, anyone, to correct me if im wrong but i think our tier 2,3,4, hell all tiers outside tier 1 (even itself sometimes the best attended football league) are the best attended in comparison to any other countries corresponding tiers (if they have as many). Souless games against these B teams, home and away, will suck the life out of the remaining competition.

Greedy league- Either loan players out to clubs now as you currently do or stop hoarding so many fucking players you need this B team nosense in the first place.

Possibly a bit over dramatic for something thats currently "off the table" but its a worry and the current state of the EFL Trophy is just the canary down the mine.

16 hours ago, Oafc88 said:

Greedy league- Either loan players out to clubs now as you currently do or stop hoarding so many fucking players you need this B team nosense in the first place.

EPPP, England DNA, it's all a load of bollocks. There's a room at St George's Park with a clock counting down to the 2022 World Cup Final. I've been reading Michael Calvin's latest book and he spends time with Dan Ashworth the FA Director of Elite Development. Ashworth says it's shame clubs like City can't buy a club like Oldham, Bury and Rochdale to farm players out. Stop taking so many and we could just be playing them every week anyway.

Edited by ChrisA

They could revamp the competition play the first round on the final week of July as curtain raiser to the new season.

Replaces a pre season friendly, generates interest, cheap admission also give the winners a reward with a bye till round 3 of the FA cup.

It needs to be knockout, then you have the choice of whether to budget for extra games and the risk of injuries or have a half arsed effort hoping and expecting to get knocked out. The group stage is the worst of all worlds

On 10/05/2017 at 6:56 PM, Oafc88 said:

Agree with that post. I may add to this bit though that I think the Premier League clubs would already know there's not much money it for them, beyond the development of players for their 1st teams or selling them on for profit, so I dont think this would be a consideration for them. 

Hypothetically if this is what the greedy league and FA are going to try at some point, to try and get B teams in the league structure, I can't help feel the whole thing is self-defeating. Obviously the main reason for them wanting this is to test their kids in a much more intense environment than they currently get. However that intensity would gradually erode over time as people would stop giving a shit. So you would end up with something no one wants. I cant understand the wish to mess with probably the best league structure in the world for something that would fail in the long run (sure i've read the German leagues are thinking of scrapping their B teams as they no longer see a benefit). Feel free, anyone, to correct me if im wrong but i think our tier 2,3,4, hell all tiers outside tier 1 (even itself sometimes the best attended football league) are the best attended in comparison to any other countries corresponding tiers (if they have as many). Souless games against these B teams, home and away, will suck the life out of the remaining competition.

Possibly a bit over dramatic for something thats currently "off the table" but its a worry and the current state of the EFL Trophy is just the canary down the mine.

Agree with a lot of this, and Scapegoat's post.
here is no way the  players put the same effort in the Chekcatrade as they do for a League or FA/LEague Cup game, so it is only step up from the Reserve League anyway.

For me, therefore, the only solution is to boycott the Checkatrade so that the attendances are akin to Reserve Leagues and therefore the main attraction of more competitive games is lost.

I am sure we all agree the loan system is a far better method than B Teams, as decent players emerge; a bit more hardened , part of a team and also  realising how lucky they are. You can see the decent players that emerge out of it because they remain true professionals throughout the loan period like Defoe and Conor Ripley and those that think they are above it and do not progress and fester in City reserves.
There does not seem to be any analysis of the loan v B Team, just Fa throwing money at it becaus eGuardiola says it works in Spain.

The sucess lies in the the coaching in my opinion and that is hwhere we could benefit from the larger clubs.

The numbers of  qualified coaches in Spain etc far exceeds ours and they seem to be much better technically coached players, but maybe  that is only because we see the top flight. However, just having the qualification, as we have seen to our cost is no guarantee, it needs experience and possibly our qualification needs upping in standard.

Edited by singe

3 minutes ago, singe said:

For me, therefore, the only solution is to boycott the Checkatrade so that the attendances are akin to Reserve Leagues and therefore the main attraction of more competitive games is lost.

Why would having low attendances make the games less competitive?

6 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Why would having low attendances make the games less competitive?

Not on it's own, but coupled with the fact League clubs do not take the Checkatrade seriously means it is on par with Reserve game. If the crowds increased  it would simulate a League game more.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, joncurtis199 said:

Its alright lads, the Checkatrade Trophy helped us win the U20 world cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40252921

What a cynical attempt by whoever that is to try and make it seem that the sole season the U20's have been in the comp has done the trick. You just know others are going to run with this too as evidence it works.

What absolute horse shit.

Edited by Oafc88

47 minutes ago, singe said:

The whole team palyed 6 Checkatrade games!!

:blink::D

There's spin, there's Tony Blair Spin, there's Theres May nothing to see here spin and then there is Dan Ashorth!

DCCT0ToXcAQGGcX.jpg

With 3 of those 6 being by the Charlton lad who would have done that without B teams anyway ?