Checkatrade Trophy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you get the feeling that they don't want to upset Checkatrade? It's far easier to say how much the competition helped instead of being honest enough to say that it had absolutely zero impact. Pandering to those that wish to be pandered to. And we're stuck with it, although I have some understanding of how the League 1 & 2 clubs see it.

37 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Do you get the feeling that they don't want to upset Checkatrade? It's far easier to say how much the competition helped instead of being honest enough to say that it had absolutely zero impact. Pandering to those that wish to be pandered to. And we're stuck with it, although I have some understanding of how the League 1 & 2 clubs see it.

Definitely, but I think they are pandering and trying to not upset the Premier League primarily, hence the need to remain vigilant about B teams

Edited by singe

Just done the EFL Survey I got emailed a link to. There's a section that's asks for any other comments, Saw it as another chance to stick it to them:

"Tell Shaun Harvey to stop alienating and dividing football fans with this Check-A-Trade Trophy nonsense. It is a direct attempt to warm the interest in B Teams/U23 Teams in English Football. Stop insulting fans by suggesting it in anyway helps the England team. Quotes from U23 coaches and the benefits of this Trophy are benefits for nobody but the clubs themselves. Not the England team. The U20's are good enough to beat the best in the World...please don't go suggesting 3 games (for most teams that entered) in 1 season of this abomination had anything to do with it. Instead, why not campaign for these players to play in the U21 set up rather than be rushed into the England 1st team. 

Shaun Harvey can keep on the personal crusade to cosy up to the big clubs all he wants. Most lower league fans can see straight through this. The bribery of extra money for competitions will obviously be snapped up by clubs who care little about the fans and the long-term implications. The Check-A-Trade trophy is nothing but Turkeys voting for Christmas. Congratulate yourself on angering a huge core of your fanbase!"

On 10 May 2017 at 1:19 PM, Latics and England said:

If it was really simplistic, in that:

• Ten teams as selected by the Premier League (both Manchester clubs, both Merseyside clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle, West Ham & Southampton) are invited to enter a new League 3 along with the top 14 from the Conference
  • League 3 is simply added to the pyramid between Lge 2 and the Conference
  • Relegation and promotion is unchanged except that the B Teams cannot be relegated from Lge 3 or promoted from Lge 1
  • Lge 1 solidarity payments to each club increase by £1m per year
  • Lge 2 solidarity payments to each club increase by £0.75m per year
  • Lge 3 clubs get solidarity payments of £0.5m per year

How do you think that Simon Corney would vote (taking him as a fairly standard owner at our level)?

Although simplistic, this seems a realistic offer to me. It would only cost the Premier League £54m per year or alternatively £5.4m per club if paid for by the 10 invited clubs. This is an absolute drop in the ocean for them but would be enough to turn the heads of enough clubs to make it viable. You could double it if you wanted, still nothing significant for the Premier League but way too much for most lower league chairmen to turn down.

Even if a club like us realised that this could very quickly lead to relegation if the B Teams were competitive, we would simply see that we would still be £750k better off than by not taking the deal.

Interesting reply this at a time when the FA are changing the Non League set up with an extra division in the Midlands & Essex area.

• 2 weeks later...

Tbf since the checkatrade trophy was 'invented' the England u17's got to a World Cup final, the England u20's won the World Cup, the England u21's got to a European Semi Final and the England u23's won the Toulon tournament.

All thanks 100% to the checkatrade trophy.

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Tbf since the checkatrade trophy was 'invented' the England u17's got to a World Cup final, the England u20's won the World Cup, the England u21's got to a European Semi Final and the England u23's won the Toulon tournament.

All thanks 100% to the checkatrade trophy.

I'm looking forward to the Checkatrade world cup.

16 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

It's almost as if they've regionalised every group and we were the odd one out.

Very hard to believe that those groups have been randomly drawn. You are right, other than us, they are completely regionalised.

Interesting that all the U21 teams now play all their games away. I thought that one of the things they sold as benefitting us poor lower league fans was that we would get to visit a big (empty) ground every 3 years.

It's almost like this isn't a proper competition at all!!

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

We will probably get Stoke academy now.

1 hour ago, opinions4u said:

Nailed on.

Totally! Watch the Blackburn/Dale/Bury get City. I'd almost literally put my house on it!

I wonder if we were one of the better boycotters...!

34 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Is it not a good idea? Certainly the way to go in my opinion.

You never know it might pave the way for regionalised lower division football, especially if the EFL think they can include academy sides?

Wouldn't put it past them.

Edited by BP1960

Hate to break it to you but our group is regionalised, just the odd make up of the team's makes it not seem so- the disadvantage of being the most Southerly of the team's based in North Manchester/Lancashire

Due to the prevalence of NE teams in the u23 sides, can see us getting City (for a similar reason) with the Bastard/Buckets/Fail group getting a NE side (if regionalised)