Anyone on here remember Peter Phoenix?

The event I was at Saturday was in memory of Jeff Astle and other footballers who in years later suffered from Dementia. One of the players in the article and mentioned is Peter Phoenix and his lad came talking to us on Saturday.

Anyone else here remember this player looking at Wiki seems like most of his career was spent at Latics.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/football-dementia-link-sir-geoff-hurst-sir-alex-ferguson-remember-jeff-astle-family-fight-a7735376.html

My best memory was at an FA cup match at Stoke when Stoke were in the 1st Division and we were in the 4th. We were getting beaten 3 _ 0 and according to a man in front of me it was all Phoenix's fault. Late in the match he won the ball in is own penalty area made is way past 5 Stoke players and then played a wall pass and thumped the ball into the top corner. Silence from the complainer.

One of my favourite players at the time. A very good winger, as LaticsPete has said. I'm fairly certain he had a brother, Ron, who was also a footballer.

IIRC he'd been on Citeh's books before he came to Latics. Didn't he end up playing for Rochdale? It will be in one of my books somewhere.

Peter Phoenix started at Latics before Bobby Johnstone and Bert Lister in ateam that struggled in Div 4. But he always gave 100% and had a good shot in both feet. I was at that Stoke game which we lost 5-1. I remember him scoring a penalty at Rochdale which hit the stantion in the goal and came out. The ref thought it hit the post and didn'give the goal. Was prominent in the FA cup run of 1962 when we lost 1-2 at home to Liverpool.(42.000 crowd).I seem to remember he scored 2 goals in round 3 v Bristol Rovers,away (then in Div 2) I think he spent some time at Rochdale later. Was originally from Manchester.

Yes it was a very cold and frosty January day. I travelled with my brother,cousin and Uncle in his new Morris 1000 car and I remember my feet were frozen all the match. We stopped for for the best Fish and Chips I had ever tasted on the way home.(no M6 then)

52 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

My outstanding memory of Peter Phoenix was his ability to get to the bye line and whip impossible crosses around the fullback into the box.

And nobody else did it quite like that for Latics until Rick Holden rocked up

10 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

My outstanding memory of Peter Phoenix was his ability to get to the bye line and whip impossible crosses around the fullback into the box.

9 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

And nobody else did it quite like that for Latics until Rick Holden rocked up

I seem to recall that Rick could also put in a cross without having to beat the full back. Still my my favourite winger of the many good 'uns we have had at BP down the years.

Edited by TheBigDog

11 hours ago, hollandspies said:

Baddiel and Skinner's Fantasy Football show did a lengthy feature on our Pete most weeks; but Skinner's Chum Jeff Astle, well he just walked on at the end and did a song. 

I thought Fantasy Football was quite funny.

Been having another look and found this Peter Beardsley skit quite amusing. Maybe others will to brighten up a foul day. 

1 hour ago, singe said:

Peter Pheonix was our top scroer in the 1948/49 season in the tnewly created Div 4, he scored 14 goals.

The top scroer has scored less than 14 on 36 other seasons in the past 99.

So that's Phoenix in 58/9 was top scorer. ?