Lee Erwin - Goal Machine

Sheridan often gets strikers firing. Porter with us, Craig Davies a bit with us, and lots at Chesterfield, he got two 20 goal seasons out of Reuben bloody Reid at Plymouth.

Whether it's Erwin or someone else, I'm very hopeful we have a striker getting us regular goals under Shez.

48 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Sheridan often gets strikers firing. Porter with us, Craig Davies a bit with us, and lots at Chesterfield, he got two 20 goal seasons out of Reuben bloody Reid at Plymouth.

Whether it's Erwin or someone else, I'm very hopeful we have a striker getting us regular goals under Shez.

I tihnk it's fair to say that Shez gets the strikers some service, Under Robinson it was meagre crumbs generally.

Agreed. Often using a classy midfielder who gets the ball moving around the field quickly.

But I think he gets in strikers' heads as well. Chris Porter as an example didn't look like he had such a good season in him when he first signed.

From that video I would 100% sign him up as quickly as possible.

From watching him all season I wouldn't even consider it.

Time again again he looked disinterested but you cannot argue with those goals which were very well taken. I am sure you could make a video showing all his misses that would look somewhat different. Ultimately I guess it depends whether Shez has seen something in him that suggests he can score more consistently next season (and whether Leeds want him to come back, and whether there is anyone better out there)

6 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

From that video I would 100% sign him up as quickly as possible.

From watching him all season I wouldn't even consider it.

Time again again he looked disinterested but you cannot argue with those goals which were very well taken. I am sure you could make a video showing all his misses that would look somewhat different. Ultimately I guess it depends whether Shez has seen something in him that suggests he can score more consistently next season (and whether Leeds want him to come back, and whether there is anyone better out there)

Admittedly I didn't get to that many games this season, but most I saw were early under Robinson, and I never thought he looked disinterested. To me he came across as frustrated, which is totally understandable at that juncture. He always wanted the ball, and often came out of position to get it - overly eager perhaps. Also unfortunate that he hit the woodwork a lot early season, which may have got him up and running.

I'd have him back. Wouldn't break the bank, like, and don't think he'll ever be more than a 15+ goals a season striker, but he will always contribute a fair number and he's got a lot more to his game than just scoring. We will be looking at finding a partner for Holloway next season, so it's a trade-off between what we already know is a decent partnership, or risking it on somebody who may be even better.

Also, how that goal against Peterborough didn't win goal of the season I'll never know...

He is the type that will look lazy he doesn't have much pace and doesn't cover huge amounts of ground. He needs to work a lot on his hold up play.

But he has a classy touch can shoot of both feet and his form in the last 3 months of the season was pivotal in us staying up big goals against Northampton, Oxford, Fleetwood, and Bolton arguably made the difference get him back in without hesitation.

Earlier in the season I posted somewhere where I explained that in my opinion he always seemed to be unsure on the type of 'forward' he was. He drifted out wide at times, deeper at times, tried to play off the shoulder but never really got himself inside the box. You could never doubt how much he wanted the ball but this was often in areas which didn't help us at all. At that point I would have said he was a no in terms of bringing him back in for a seconds season.

Since Shez came in, he's played much narrower, got himself in the box and not bothered to waste so much energy in areas of the park he didn't need to be in. He's looked more interested because it's got him involved more and got him a lot more chances which he's taken some off. I'd give him another season if we could get him in - if we play the right way, I think he can get 15+ a season

I was shocked how rare 20 goals a season players are for us.

It's only happened 25 times in 99 years

The elusive 30 goals a season has only happened 5 times in 99 years, last time was bert List 62/63 only 54 years ago!

10 season gap :o not even close to the record though

2006/07 Porter

16 season gap :blink:

1989/90 Ritchie

1 season gap

1987/88 Ritchie & Palmer (whoo hoo)

2 season gap

1984/85 Quinn

6 season gap

1976/77 Halom

1977/78 Steve Taylor

5 season gap

1970/71 Fryatt

3 season gap

1966/67 Ian Towers

3 season gap

1962/63 Lister (3 seasons on the trot

1961/62 Frizzell

1960/61 Lister

5 season gap

1954/55 Don Travis

1952/53 Gemmell (5 years on the trot-a record)

1951/52 Gemmell

1950/51 Gemmell

1949/50 Ray Haddington

1948/49 Gemmell

1 season gap

1946/47 Fred Howe

WW2

1938/39 Bob Ferrier

1937/38 Tom Davies

1 season gap

1936/37 Tom Davis

5 season gap

1929/30 Stuart Littlewood

3 season gap

1925/26 Arthur Ormston

6 season gap

WW1

5 season gap

1909/10 Jimmy Fay

1 season gap

1907/08 Frank Newton

1 hour ago, singe said:

I was shocked how rare 20 goals a season players are for us.

It's only happened 25 times in 99 years

The elusive 30 goals a season has only happened 5 times in 99 years, last time was bert List 62/63 only 54 years ago!

10 season gap :o not even close to the record though

2006/07 Porter

16 season gap :blink:

1989/90 Ritchie

1 season gap

1987/88 Ritchie & Palmer (whoo hoo)

2 season gap

1984/85 Quinn

6 season gap

1976/77 Halom

1977/78 Steve Taylor

5 season gap

1970/71 Fryatt

3 season gap

1966/67 Ian Towers

3 season gap

1962/63 Lister (3 seasons on the trot

1961/62 Frizzell

1960/61 Lister

5 season gap

1954/55 Don Travis

1952/53 Gemmell (5 years on the trot-a record)

1951/52 Gemmell

1950/51 Gemmell

1949/50 Ray Haddington

1948/49 Gemmell

1 season gap

1946/47 Fred Howe

WW2

1938/39 Bob Ferrier

1937/38 Tom Davies

1 season gap

1936/37 Tom Davis

5 season gap

1929/30 Stuart Littlewood

3 season gap

1925/26 Arthur Ormston

6 season gap

WW1

5 season gap

1909/10 Jimmy Fay

1 season gap

1907/08 Frank Newton

It's not just us though

We talk about 20 goal a season strikers as if everyoneelse has them and we don't.

Only Billy Sharp and James Vaughan scored over 20 league goals in the whole of league 1 last season it's very rare that you get more than 3-4 in the whole league that do get over the 20 goals mark. If you get 1 that scores over 15 then you are doing better than average played in the right way Erwin can get that.

Casting our minds back to around Jan Feb time we were all wondering who would score the crucial goals that would get us out of trouble. Erwin stepped up and did that to many people surprise including mine. For that reason we should do what we can to get him here next season either by loan or by permanent signing.

19 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's not just us though

We talk about 20 goal a season strikers as if everyoneelse has them and we don't.

Only Billy Sharp and James Vaughan scored over 20 league goals in the whole of league 1 last season it's very rare that you get more than 3-4 in the whole league that do get over the 20 goals mark. If you get 1 that scores over 15 then you are doing better than average played in the right way Erwin can get that.

Casting our minds back to around Jan Feb time we were all wondering who would score the crucial goals that would get us out of trouble. Erwin stepped up and did that to many people surprise including mine. For that reason we should do what we can to get him here next season either by loan or by permanent signing.

Sure, and it was not a dig at Erwin at all who may prove to be an asture signing. I just thought we'd had  a 20 a season striker more often.
Not sure many teams will have had only 1 in a quarter of a centruy though!

14 hours ago, bozman said:

Just read on Twitter that Leeds are happy to get rid of Erwin and Oxford are interested in signing him permanently.

However .... it didn't look like a reliable Twitter account.

Erwin is contracted until 2018.

1 hour ago, bozman said:

I know. The 'source' claims he is surplus to requirements and they will let him go this summer.

The same source has retweeted his colleague saying reading can't go up to EPL as there owner failed fit and proper test ?

4 hours ago, adamoafc said:

The same source has retweeted his colleague saying reading can't go up to EPL as there owner failed fit and proper test ?

Reading's new owner is called Dai Yongge.  If his nickname isn't live fast....