Best players you have seen at BP not OAFC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed watching Paul Merson for Arsenal in a game at BP in the 1st division. I recall watching him cut inside Andy Barlow or Glynn Snodin and curl one with the outside if his right foot onto the inside if Hallworth's post, in near enough one movement.... it rebounded away thankfully. Think it was the same game Ian Wright spat at fans walking up the tunnel. Ended 1-1.

Edited by lookersstandandy

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Eric Cantona when with MU.

Sadly I have to agree. His display in the 5-2 game was about the best I've ever seen. Always seemed to be in 10 yards of space every time he received the ball and played killer pass after killer pass. Destroyed us.

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I enjoyed watching Paul Merson for Arsenal in a game at BP in the 1st division.

He still had a quality touch as a manager too .. 

He was manager for Walsall (iirc) and dressed in a suit and brogues, caught a very high ball and trapped it with said brogues perfectly! 

Trevor Brooking strolled thru a game against us and I think I remember he scored with a header in that game. Alan Shearer as a young lad playing for Southampton made it look easy to score and Matt Le Tissier was class. Anybody remember the Burnley winger Leighton James shredding one of our greatest full backs Ian Wood?

4 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Trevor Brooking strolled thru a game against us and I think I remember he scored with a header in that game. Alan Shearer as a young lad playing for Southampton made it look easy to score and Matt Le Tissier was class. Anybody remember the Burnley winger Leighton James shredding one of our greatest full backs Ian Wood?

Did that game with James finish 4-1 or 4-0? 

1 hour ago, oafcprozac said:

Southall one of my heroes as a kid Palmer's equaliser apart was always fantastic. 

....the time wasting from him in that FA Cup trilogy was awful tho. Pre back pass rule he rolled it out to a full back and then received it back again countless times...!

26 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

4-1 and guess who got our goal from a penalty? The clue is in the posters title. Apparently Wood was told to stop James coming inside so he just ran outside around him.

James was excellent that day. Anybody remember another home defeat to Burnley, also 4-1? Anglo Scottish cup, Steve Kindon had a blinder for them that day.

Andy Cole when we played Newcastle. Think it was live on Sky and he scored a hat-trick. We just couldn't handle him.

Although it was Bower Fold rather than BP, I would have to give a special mention to a very young Michael Owen against our reserves. Showed nothing in his general play to suggest he'd go on to be owt special. Only remember him touching the ball 3 times, another hat-trick.

Matt Le Tis on the last day of the season in 93. The result and jubilation overshadowed how good he was.

1 hour ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

James was excellent that day. Anybody remember another home defeat to Burnley, also 4-1? Anglo Scottish cup, Steve Kindon had a blinder for them that day.

I may be wrong here but seem to remember being at Burnley when Vic Halom got sent off for crunching Kindon who could put it about a bit himself.

43 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

Andy Cole when we played Newcastle. Think it was live on Sky and he scored a hat-trick. We just couldn't handle him.

Although it was Bower Fold rather than BP, I would have to give a special mention to a very young Michael Owen against our reserves. Showed nothing in his general play to suggest he'd go on to be owt special. Only remember him touching the ball 3 times, another hat-trick.

Matt Le Tis on the last day of the season in 93. The result and jubilation overshadowed how good he was.

Unbelievable Le Tissier only played 8 times for England.